Torokhtiy in 2012
|Born||May 22, 1986|
|Alma mater||NAU "KhAI"|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in) (2012)|
|Weight||104 kg (229 lb) (2012)|
|Coached by||Valery Nikulin, Mikhail Matsokha|
|Updated on 7 August 2012.|
Oleksiy Pavlovych Torokhtiy (Ukrainian: Олексій Павлович Торохтій; born May 22, 1986 in Zuhres) is a Ukrainian weightlifter, an Olympic Gold Medalist in weightlifting (London 2012) until disqualified for a doping offence, winner of World and European Championships. Participant of two Olympic Games (2008, 2012). Oleksiy is also a Member of European Weightlifting Federation Executive Committee, Deputy Chairman of Ukrainian National Olympic Commіttee Athletes Commission and the Vice-President of the Weightlifting Federation of Ukraine.
Currently Oleksiy actively holds master classes and seminars on weightlifting all over the world. Oleksiy is the founder of international sportswear and accessories brand "Warm Body Cold Mind". Oleksiy is an author and creator of series of training programs and nutrition sets called TOR WOD.
In 2003 he graduated from Kharkiv Regional Higher School of Physical Culture with a degree in Physical Education.
In 2010 he graduated from Kharkiv Aviation Institute with a major in "Control system for flying machines and complexes" and was certified as an engineer.
In 2014 he received a second degree in Zaporizhzhya National University, specializing in physical education and sports / weightlifting coach.
In 2016, he founded the international brand of sportswear and accessories "Warm Body Cold Mind" (WBCM). It became famous for its slogan on t-shirts. "The (WBCM) shirt made its debut in (famous American baseball player Bryce Harper) his first media address in Florida, and was casually noted by the Washington Post, ESPN, Yahoo! Sports and more, who failed to grasp what it means". As well Oleksiy Torokhtiy launched an online weightlifting program Torwod.
Oleksiy started weightlifting in 2000. In 2005 he joined the Ukrainian national Olympic weightlifting team.
In 2006, at the European Junior Championships, he became a bronze medalist in the snatch and clean & jerk.
In 2007 he became the winner of the World Weightlifting Cup in Apia.
In 2008, he became a participant of the XXIX Olympic Games in Beijing, where he became one of the 10 strongest athletes in the category of up to 105 kg.
In 2009 he became a silver medalist in European Championships in Bucharest (405 kg).
In 2010, he received the silver in clean & jerk and became the bronze medalist of the European Weightlifting Championships in Minsk.
In 2011 in Paris, Oleksiy Torokhtiy became the bronze medalist of the World Championship.
On August 6, 2012 in London Oleksiy became the Olympic Gold Medalist in weightlifting in the category 105 kg.
On 22 December 2018, it was announced that as a consequence of the International Olympic Committee’s re-analysis program in connection with the 2012 London Olympic Games Oleksiy had tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. and in December 2019 it was confirmed that he had been disqualified.
|Year||Venue||Weight||Snatch (kg)||Clean & Jerk (kg)||Total||Rank|
|2008||Beijing, China||105 kg||172||177||9||213||10||390||10|
|2012||London, England||105 kg||185||2||222||227||1||412||DQ|
|2006||Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic||105 kg||160||165||17||200||205||208||13||373||12|
|2007||Chiang Mai, Thailand||105 kg||--||--||--||--||--||--||--|
|2009||Goyang, South Korea||105 kg||176||180||6||215||6||395||4|
|2011||Paris, France||105 kg||176||181||5||220||229||410|
|2008||Lignano Sabbiadoro, Italy||105 kg||170||175||6||210||220||395||5|
|2009||Bucharest, Romania||105 kg||172||177||181||4||213||224||405|
|2010||Minsk, Belarus||105 kg||175||7||217||221||396|
|2011||Kazan, Russia||105 kg||170||11||215||385||5|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oleksiy Torokhtiy.|
- "Victorias del kazako Ilyin y del ruso Akkaev". adn.es. 2011-11-12. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- "Ukraine's Torokhtiy earns weightlifting gold". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "IOC sanctions one athlete for failing anti-doping tests at London 2012 - Olympic News". International Olympic Committee. 19 December 2019. Retrieved 19 December 2019.
- "Athletes - International Weightlifting Federation". International Weightlifting Federation. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "EWF Commissions". ewfed.com. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Athletes elected their representatives to the NOC". noc-ukr.org. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Ukrainian weightlifting federation". uwf.net.ua. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "What Does Harper's 'Warm Body, Cold Mind' Shirt Mean?". 2017-02-26. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Олимпийский чемпион Алексей Торохтий женился - Jetsetter". Jetsetter (in Russian). 2015-04-23. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Олимпийский чемпион Алексей Торохтий стал отцом". www.segodnya.ua (in Russian). Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Public Disclosure - IWF". IWF. 22 December 2018.