The Ohlson 38 is a 38-foot (12 m) cruiser racer sailing yacht designed by Swedish naval architect Einar Ohlson. About 128 of these boats have been built at various boat yards in Europe. The Ohlson 38 is known for its speed, which has been proven in a number of races.
In 1967 the Ohlson 38 was created by Swedish designer Einar Ohlson. It was an extended version of his 36-footer Einar Ohlson was a well-known 5.5 M boat designer in the 1960s like Bill Luders, Ray Hunt or Britton Chance, Jr. His boats are still raced today as classics within the 5.5 M race circuit.
The Ohlson 38 was GRP-produced, in contrast to the 36s, which were built from wood. The GRP hulls for the Ohlson 38 were laminated by the Tyler Boat Company Ltd. in Tonbridge, Kent in the United Kingdom and so were decks including the coachroof. The Ohlson Brothers (Bröderna Ohlson AB) in Västra Frolunda near Gothenburg finished boats primarily for the US market. Other yards finished these boats, including Malö in Henån, Matthiessen und Paulsen in Arnis/Germany, and Alexander Robertsons & Sons in Sandbank, Argyll, Scotland.
Einar Ohlson’s work has been recognized by The Encyclopedia of Yacht Designers.
The Ohlson 38 is an ocean-going cruiser, and many extended voyages have been made with these boats, including Clare Francis's Observer Single-handed Trans-Atlantic Race with 'Robertson's Golly', a woman's world-record transatlantic crossing speed record. and other voyages have been written about by Richard "Jud" Henderson, and Johanna Michaelis and Klaus Nölters with their circumnavigation on Ole Hoop.
- Henderson, Richard 'Jud' (1979). Choice Yacht Designs. Camden, MA: International Marine Publishing Company. pp. 239. ISBN 0-87742-112-9.
- "Sailboat designs of Einar Ohlson by year". Sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Sailboats built by Tyler Boat Co. Ltd. (UK) by year on". Sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- Sol Knight & Mac Naughton, Lucia del & Danoel B (2006). The Encyclopedia of Yacht Designers. New York, NY: W.W. Norton Company. p. 530. ISBN 0-393-04876-4.
- Jennifer S. Uglow; Frances Hinton; Maggy Hendry (1999). The Northeastern Dictionary of Women's Biography. UPNE. pp. 210–. ISBN 978-1-55553-421-9.
- Clare Francis, Come hell or high water, Pelham Books, London, 1977, Richard "Jud" Henderson with his Atlantic cruise on 'Kelpie'
- East to the Azores, International Marine Publishing Company Camden MA, 1978
- Johanna Michaelis & Michael Nölters Der erfüllbare Traum, Delius Klasing Verlag, Bielefeld, 2002
- Dick Durham (17 August 2011). Amazing Sailing Stories: True Adventures from the High Seas. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 146–. ISBN 978-1-119-95262-6.
- "Drawings & Plans". Ohlson38.de. Retrieved 2013-03-16.