|O Holy Night|
|by Adolphe Adam|
|Native name||Minuit, chrétiens|
"O Holy Night" (also known as "Cantique de Noël") is a well-known Christmas carol composed by Adolphe Adam in 1847 to the French poem "Minuit, chrétiens" (Midnight, Christians) by poet Placide Cappeau (1808–1877). The carol reflects on the birth of Jesus as humanity's redemption.
In Roquemaure at the end of 1843, the church organ had recently been renovated. To celebrate the event, the parish priest persuaded poet Placide Cappeau, a native of the town, to write a Christmas poem. Soon afterwards that same year, Adolphe Adam composed the music. The song was premiered in Roquemaure in 1847 by the opera singer Emily Laurey. Unitarian minister John Sullivan Dwight, editor of Dwight's Journal of Music, translated the song into English in 1855.
|Placide Cappeau's Cantique de Noël||Literal English translation||John Sullivan Dwight's version|
Minuit, chrétiens, c'est l'heure solennelle,
Midnight, Christians, is the solemn hour,
O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
The song has been recorded by numerous well-known popular-music, classical-music, and religious-music singers. Some notable versions include:
Ladywell Primary School version
|"O Holy Night"|
|Single by Ladywell Primary School|
|Released||November 21, 2012|
|Label||Ladywell Primary School|
Ladywell Primary School in Motherwell, Scotland released "O Holy Night" as a digital download on November 21, 2012. The school donated 90 percent of proceeds from the song to the Meningitis Research Foundation in memory of a student who died of meningococcal septicaemia. The remaining 10 percent went to school funds.
The song entered the UK Singles Chart at number 64 in the chart for week ending 1 December 2012 and number 15 on the Scottish Singles Charts. In its second week it climbed to number 39 on the UK Singles Chart and number 5 on the Scottish Singles Charts.
- 1994: Mariah Carey's rendition, featured on her first studio holiday album, Merry Christmas, which sold 15 million copies worldwide, charted at No. 8 on the Billboard Holiday Digital Song Sales chart. It was rereleased as a single in 1996 and 2000. She released a re-recorded live rendition on her 2010 follow-up album Merry Christmas II You.
- 1996: John Berry's version charted at No. 55 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs Chart.
- 1997: Martina McBride's rendering charted at No. 74 on Hot Country Songs chart (also No. 67 in 1998, No. 49 in 1999, No. 57 in 2000, and No. 41 in 2001)
- 2002: Josh Groban (No. 1 Billboard Adult Contemporary)
- 2006: Josh Gracin's version charted at No. 59 on Hot Country Songs chart
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2020)
Mariah Carey version
|US Holiday 100 (Billboard)||70|
Certifications and sales
Mariah Carey version
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Collins, Ace; , Stories Behind the Best-Loved Songs of Christmas, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Zondervan, pp. 132–138.
- Nobbman, Dale V. Christmas Music Companion Fact Book. 2000. p. 36. Google Books]
- Scott, Brian (2015). But Do You Recall? 25 Days of Christmas Carols and the Stories Behind Them. Lulu.com. pp. 88–93. ISBN 9781329919594. [self-published source]
- iTunes - Music - O Holy Night - Single by Ladywell Primary School
- Tribute to schoolboy is chart hit. Herald Scotland
- "Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' Hits New Hot 100 High, Reaches Top 20 for First Time". Billboard. December 21, 2015. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- "Holiday Digital Song Sales-November 20, 2010". www.billboard.com.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 49. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Whitburn, p. 263
- "Billboard Singles Charts | Record Research MusicVault". Musicarchivevault.com. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- "That Josh Groban Guy". thatjoshgrobanguy.com. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- Whitburn, p. 166
- "Mariah Carey Chart History (Holiday 100)". Billboard. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "American album certifications – Mariah Carey – Holy". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved May 22, 2020. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.