This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Current season, competition or edition:|
|Sport||Australian rules football|
|No. of teams||28|
|West Preston Lakeside |
|Most titles||Heidelberg (19)|
The Northern Football Netball League (formerly known as the Diamond Valley Football League and later Northern Football League) is an Australian sports league based in the Diamond Valley region of suburban Melbourne, Victoria. The league regulates competitions of both sports, Australian rules football and netball in the region.
The league was founded in 1922, originally having seven clubs, four of whom still participate. In 1941 the league went into recess for five years as a result of World War II, the competition recommencing in 1946. After the war the league continued to grow.
Formation of Division Two
In 1981 the league was split into two divisions. The top 10 teams at the end of the 1980 season formed Division One (Diamond Creek, Greensborough, Heidelberg West, Lalor, Macelod-Rosanna, Montmorency, North Heidelberg, Reservoir-Lakeside, Templestowe and Watsonia) for the 1981 season. Division Two was formed by the 4 bottom placed teams from the 1980 season (Eltham, Epping, Heidelberg and South Morang) and 4 new teams making their debut (Bundoora, Northcote Park, Reservoir and West Preston) for the 1981 season.
Renaming of the League
The entire DVFL board resigned over the summer of 2006–2007 and was replaced by officials from AFL Victoria until suitable replacements were found before the start of the 2008 season. At the end of the 2017 season, the NFL was renamed the NFNL to incorporate Netball under the one banner- the NFNL.
Formation of Division Three
In 2008 the NFL added an open-age Netball competition and announced an intention that a third division would be added for the 2009 season with the old 14 team second division to be split into eight and six team divisions, however Kinglake and Wallan both left the league so the NFL did not proceed. In 2009, the NFL stated that a permanent Division Three for 2010 would be dependent on at least one more club joining the league. With St Mary's indicating that they intended to field a senior team in 2010, the NFL announced a stand-alone Division Three to commence from 2010. Reversing an earlier decision, the NFL decided that Division Two would be split during the 2009 season based on ladder position after the 13th round once all teams had played each other once, with the top 8 teams remaining in Division Two and the bottom 6 teams forming Division Three for the remaining games of the season. It was also decided that the newly formed Division Three would play a finals series in 2009, but the premier would not gain promotion to Division Two as these teams had already been relegated for the 2009 season. At the end of Round 13, Diamond Creek, Epping, Fitzroy Stars, Lower Plenty, Macleod, Mernda, Watsonia and Whittlesea formed the top 8 teams and remained in Division Two, whilst Heidelberg West, Hurstbridge, Panton Hill, Parkside, Reservoir and South Morang were the bottom 6 teams and formed the new Division Three.
AFL Victoria Community Championships
In 2016, the Northern Football Netball League began playing in the AFL Victoria Community Championships for metropolitan and country competitions to challenge each other for the title of best football league in Victoria. In 2016, the league were defeated by the Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League to be fifth. The next year the league defeated the Western Region Football League and were ranked fourth. In 2018, the league avenged its 2016 defeat by the MPNFL to be ranked second. In 2019, the Northern Football Netball League defeated the Geelong Football League to become the number one ranked league in Victoria.
- Chairman – Michael McLellan
- Netball Chairman – Jeff Parkes
- CEO – Peter McDougall
|Locations of the 2020 NFL clubs. Red pogs represent teams in Division One, orange pogs represent teams in Division Two, and yellow pogs represent teams in Division Three. Kilmore is based approximately 30 km north-west of Whittlesea.|
|Club||Founded||Nickname||Location||Home Ground||Entered Competition||Most recent Promotion||Jumper|
|Bundoora Football Club||1974||Bulls||Bundoora||Yulong Reserve||1981||1982|
|Greensborough Football Club||1893||Boro||Greensborough||War Memorial Park||1922||2007|
|Heidelberg Football Club||1876||Tigers||Heidelberg||Warringal Park||1923||1984|
|Hurstbridge Football Club||1914||Bridges||Hurstbridge||Ben Frilay Oval||1922–1931, 1988||2016|
|Macleod Football Club||1946||Kangaroos||Rosanna||De Winton Park||1947||2009|
|Montmorency Football Club||1924||Magpies||Montmorency||Montmorency Park, North Oval||1924||N/A|
|North Heidelberg Football Club||1958||Bulldogs||Heidelberg Heights||Shelley Street Reserve||1958||2017|
|Northcote Park Football Club||1952||Cougars||Northcote||Bill Lawry Oval||1982||1994|
|West Preston Lakeside Football Club||1998||Roosters||Reservoir||J E Moore Park||1996||1997|
|Whittlesea Football Club||1896||Eagles||Whittlesea||Whittlesea Showgrounds||1934–1946, 1992||2019|
|Club||Founded||Nickname||Location||Home Ground||Entered Competition||Most recent Relegation/Promotion||Jumper|
|Banyule Football Club||1967||Bears||Heidelberg||R.J Brockwell Oval||2015||2017 (Div 3 Premiers)|
|Diamond Creek Football Club||1904||Demons||Diamond Creek||Coventry Oval||1922||2008 (Div 1 Relegation)|
|Eltham Football Club||1909||Panthers||Eltham||Eltham Central Park||1922||2017 (Div 1 Relegation)|
|Epping Football Club||1904||Blues||Epping||Epping Recreation Reserve||1933||2018 (Div 3 Promotion by NFL, Lalor relegated in off season due to lack of players)|
|Fitzroy Stars Football Club||1973||Stars||Thornbury||Sir Douglas Nicholls Oval||2008||N/A|
|Lower Plenty Football Club||1961||Bears||Montmorency||Montmorency Park, South Oval||1995||2019 (Div 1 Relegation)|
|Panton Hill Football Club||1926||Redbacks||Panton Hill||Cracknell Reserve||1929–1930, 1997||2019 (Div 3 Premiers)|
|St Mary's Senior Football Club||2009||Burra||Greensborough||Whatmough Park||2010||2018 (Div 3 Premiers)|
|Thomastown Football Club||1976||Bears||Thomastown||Main Street Reserve||2001||2014 (Div 3 Premiers)|
|Watsonia Football Club||1967||Saints||Watsonia||A K Lines Reserve||1969||2016 (Div 3 Premiers)|
|Club||Founded||Nickname||Location||Home Ground||Entered Competition||Most recent Relegation||Jumper|
|Heidelberg West Football Club||1936||Hawks||Heidelberg||Heidelberg Park||1939||2009|
|Kilmore Football Club||1887||Blues||Kilmore||JJ Clancy Reserve, Kilmore||2016||NA|
|Lalor Football Club||1955||Bloods||Lalor||Lalor Reserve||1968||2018|
|Laurimar Football Club||2017||Power||Doreen||Laurimar Reserve||2017||NA|
|Mernda Football Club||1891||Demons||Mernda||Waterview Recreation Reserve||1937–1939,1941, 1946, 1987||2015|
|Old Eltham Collegians Football Club||1986||Turtles||Research||Eltham College Reserve||2019||NA|
|Reservoir Football Club||1923||Mustangs||Reservoir||Crispe Park||1981-2006,2008-2015, 2017||2016|
|South Morang Football Club||1954||Lions||Mill Park Lakes||Mill Park Lakes Reserve||1955||2013|
Promotion and Relegation
At the end of each year the Premiers of Division 2 and 3 are promoted, while the clubs that finish bottom in Division 1 and 2 are relegated.
Division Promotion and Relegation TimelineNote
- In 1987, Watsonia won the Division 2 Premiership but chose not to compete in Division 1 due to financial stability and player strength, the DVFL allowing Reservoir-Lakeside (the 1987 Runner Up) to be promoted to Division 1 for the 1988 season to avoid a bye.
- In 1997, Reservoir-Lakeside asked to be relegated to Division 2 due to player numbers and strength, causing a nine team Division 1 that season, Greensborough avoiding relegation that year as Reservoir-Lakeside had dropped before the season began. After the completion of the 1997 season, Reservoir-Lakeside (Div 2) and West Preston (Div 1) merged to become West Preston-Lakeside and played the 1998 season in Division 1.
- In 2015, Reservoir won the Division 3 Premiership but went into recess before the 2016 season, forcing Division 2 to have a bye with 7 teams.
- In 2018, Lalor requested a demotion to Division 3 due to a player exodus so that the club could survive and rebuild. The NFL granted Lalor's request, trading places with Epping who agreed to be promoted from Division 3 to Division 2 for the 2018 season to avoid a bye.
- In 2019, the league decided to move to a ten team Division 1 & 2 and an eight team Division 3 structure for the 2020 season as Old Eltham Collegians had applied to transfer into Division 3 from the VAFA for the 2019 season. This decision created a nine team Division 2 & 3 for the 2019 season with the league promoting the 2018 Division 3 premier, St Mary's to Division 2 and allowing the last placed 2018 Division 2 team, Watsonia to avoid relegation. At the conclusion of the 2019 season, a Division 3 Grand Final win saw Panton Hill promoted to Division 2 and last placed Epping avoiding Division 2 relegation, completing the competition restructure.
|Club||Div 1||Div 2||Div 3||Div 1||Div 2||Div 3||Div 1||Div 2|
|Northcote Park / Northcote Park – Alphington||6||2||-||-||2||-||6||2|
|West Preston Lakeside||4||-||-||2||-||-||3||-|
|Reservoir – Lakeside||3||-||-||6||2||-||7||1|
|Macleod – Rosanna / Macleod||2||1||-||5||-||-||2||3|
|Mernda / Plenty Rovers||-||1||1||-||2||1||-||1|
|2019||West Preston-Lakeside||Nathan Valladares
|2018||West Preston-Lakeside||Nathan Valladares
|2017||Bundoora||Brent Marshall||Ricky Dyson||Greensborough||Eltham|
|2016||Heidelberg||Michael Brunelli||Charles Gaylard||Heidelberg||Greensborough|
|2015||Macleod||Kane Shaw||Garry Ramsay||Greensborough||Greensborough|
|Robert Hyde||West Preston-Lakeside||Greensborough|
|Phil Plunkett||Heidelberg||West Preston-Lakeside|
|2012||Northcote Park||Bronik Davies||Jason Heatley||West Preston-Lakeside||Northcote Park|
|2011||Bundoora||Brayden Shaw||Phil Maylin||Montmorency||Greensborough|
|2010||West Preston Lakeside||Nick Meese||Vin Dattoli||Bundoora||Greensborough|
|2009||Heidelberg||Abe Williams||Phil Plunkett||Bundoora||Greensborough|
|2008||Heidelberg||Blair Harvey||Phil Plunkett||Heidelberg||West Preston Lakeside|
|2007||Heidelberg||Blair Harvey||Phil Plunkett||Heidelberg||Eltham|
|2006||Heidelberg||Blair Harvey||Craig Hunter||Bundoora||West Preston Lakeside|
|2005||North Heidelberg||Leigh Gray||Brett Hancock||Montmorency||N'cote Park/Alphington|
|2004||Heidelberg||Blair Harvey||Craig Hunter||Heidelberg||N'cote Park/Alphington|
|2003||West Preston Lakeside||Fabian Carelli||Ryan Smith||Bundoora||N'cote Park/Alphington|
|2002||Northcote Park||Matthew Amad||Peter Dean||Montmorency||Bundoora|
|2001||Northcote Park||Matthew Amad||Vin Hanlon||Heidelberg||Montmorency|
|2000||Northcote Park||Matthew Amad||Steve Easton||Heidelberg||Bundoora|
|1999||Northcote Park||Matthew Amad||Steve Easton||Bundoora||N'cote Park/Alphington|
|1998||Lalor||Darryl Sinclair||Ray Shaw||Lalor||N'cote Park/Alphington|
|1997||Northcote Park||John Origlasso||Steve Easton||Bundoora||Epping|
|1996||Bundoora||Trevor Robinson||Gary Massey||Bundoora||North Heidelberg|
|1995||Bundoora||Trevor Robinson||Gary Massey||Montmorency||Lalor|
|1994||North Heidelberg||Mark Perkins||Mark Perkins||North Heidelberg||Montmorency|
|1993||Lalor||Graham Spillard||Steve Easton||Bundoora||Epping|
|1992||Lalor||Steve Petrucelle||Steve Easton||North Heidelberg||Reservoir-Lakeside|
|1991||Lalor||Brett Mancini||Barry Rist||Bundoora||Montmorency|
|1990||Heidelberg||Nick Delanty||Michael Sullivan||North Heidelberg||Greensborough|
|1989||Greensborough||Brett Fowler||Harold Martin||North Heidelberg||North Heidelberg|
|1988||Greensborough||Wayne Dobson||Greg Jones||North Heidelberg||Bundoora|
|1987||North Heidelberg||Paul Storey||Gary Massey||North Heidelberg||Lalor|
|1986||Heidelberg||Ray Shephard||Michael Sullivan||North Heidelberg||Bundoora|
|1985||North Heidelberg||Paul Storey||Gary Massey||North Heidelberg||Lalor|
|1984||Greensborough||Robert Hyde||Robert Hyde||Greensborough||North Heidelberg|
|1983||Greensborough||Robert Hyde||Robert Hyde||Bundoora||Lalor|
|1982||Diamond Creek||John O'Connell||John O'Connell||Montmorency||Templestowe|
|1981||Diamond Creek||John O'Connell||John O'Connell||Lalor||Montmorency|
|1980||Lalor||Chris Valerkou||Barry Rist||Lalor||Heidelberg|
|1979||Montmorency||Shane Molloy||Shane Molloy||Montmorency||Greensborough|
|1978||North Heidelberg||Kevin Grose||Kevin Grose||Reservoir-Lakeside||Reservoir-Lakeside|
|1977||Reservoir-Lakeside||Dennis Le Gassick||Bob Edmonds||North Heidelberg||Watsonia|
|1976||Montmorency||Lee Adamson||Lee Adamson||North Heidelberg||Reservoir-Lakeside|
|1975||Reservoir-Lakeside||Dennis Le Gassick||Kevin Egan||Reservoir-Lakeside||Reservoir-Lakeside|
|1974||Eltham||Bernie Massey||Bernie Massey||Eltham||Greensborough|
|1973||Templestowe||Garry Dyring||Barry Rist||Macleod-Rosanna||Reservoir-Lakeside|
|1972||Eltham||John Newnham||Ray Slocum||Greensborough||Greensborough|
|1971||Macleod-Rosanna||Kevin Simpson||Kevin Dillon||Eltham||Reservoir-Lakeside|
|1970||Eltham||John Walker||John Walker||Reservoir-Lakeside||Greensborough|
|1969||Eltham||Barry Capuano||Hugh Mitchell||Reservoir-Lakeside||Greensborough|
|1968||Templestowe||Craig Chivers||Bob Symes||South Morang||Reservoir-Lakeside|
|1967||Greensborough||John Carmody||John Carmody||Heidelberg||Montmorency|
|1966||Greensborough||John Carmody||John Carmody||Reservoir-Lakeside||Heidelberg West|
|1965||Reservoir-Lakeside||Graham Campbell||Graham Campbell||Reservoir-Lakeside||Macleod-Rosanna|
|1964||Heidelberg||Brian McMahon||Brian McMahon||North Heidelberg||Macleod-Rosanna|
|1963||Epping||Trevor Johnson||Trevor Johnson||Heidelberg||North Heidelberg|
|1962||North Heidelberg||Ron Buckley||Eddie Draper||Greensborough||North Heidelberg|
|1961||Greensborough||Joe Murphy||Joe Murphy||Greensborough|
|1960||Greensborough||Joe Murphy||Joe Murphy||Heidelberg|
|1959||Heidelberg||Peter Gurry||Peter Gurry||Macleod-Rosanna|
|1958||Greensborough||Frank Londrigan||Frank Londrigan||Macleod-Rosanna|
|1957||Heidelberg||Kevin Hart||Kevin Hart||Macleod-Rosanna|
|1956||Heidelberg||Kevin Hart||Kevin Hart||Heidelberg|
|1955||Greensborough||Fred Anderson||Fred Anderson||Heidelberg West|
|1954||Montmorency||R. Hibbert||Phil Ryan||Greensborough|
|1953||Eltham||Keith Headon||Jack Harding||Heidelberg|
|1952||Greensborough||Percy Adamson||Percy Adamson||Epping|
|1951||Montmorency||Phil Ryan||Phil Ryan||Heidelberg|
|1950||Heidelberg||R. Clarke||R. Clarke||Heidelberg|
|1949||Eltham||G.Hunter||Henry Downing||Diamond Creek|
|1948||Heidelberg||G. Irvine||Alan Stott||Macleod-Rosanna|
|1947||Reservoir||Don Atkinson||Don Atkinson||Eltham|
|1946||Reservoir||Ron McConchie||Tom Manchester|
|1942–1945 Competition suspended due to World War II|
|1938||Heidelberg||Alan Stott||Alan Stott|
|1937||Heidelberg||Alan Stott||Alan Stott|
|2019||Whittlesea||Riley Dyson||Blair Harvey||Fitzroy Stars||South Morang|
|2018||Lower Plenty||Patrick Flynn||Ben Turner||Eltham||Heidelberg|
|2017||North Heidelberg||Daniel Bramich||Stephen Saddington||Diamond Creek||Lower Plenty|
|2015||Whittlesea||Andrew Fairchild||Brad Dean||Thomastown||Whittlesea|
|2014||North Heidelberg||Leigh Gilbert||Stephen Saddington||North Heidelberg||St Mary's|
|Peter Bugden||Diamond Creek||Whittlesea|
|2012||Epping||Daniel Moore||Mario Bandera||Diamond Creek||Thomastown|
|2011||Lower Plenty||Billy Barden||Gary Ramsay||Lower Plenty||Lower Plenty|
|2010||Whittlesea||Garret Heenan||Peter Budgen||Mernda||Diamond Creek|
|2009||Macleod||Kane Shaw||Christian Brandt||Diamond Creek||Whittlesea|
|2007||Lalor||Steven Marshall||Mark Pederson||Thomastown||Mernda|
|2006||Greensborough||Paul Hattenfels||Russell Dickson||Greensborough||Greensborough|
|2005||Diamond Creek||Shannon Logan||Neale Carroll||Greensborough||Macleod|
|2004||Lalor||Steve Marshall||Gavin Langbourne||Lalor||Greensborough|
|2003||Hurstbridge||Jai Audley||Rob Dyson||Lalor||Lalor|
|2002||Eltham||Craig McKay||Wayne Freeman||South Morang||Wallan|
|2001||Lalor||Darryl Sinclair||Darryl Sinclair||Lalor||Lalor|
|2000||Eltham||Mark Minney||Gary Jessop||Eltham||Bundoora|
|1999||Lower Plenty||Paul Hicks||Paul Hicks||Whittlesea||Lower Plenty|
|1998||Diamond Creek||Steven Legg||Danny Davenport||Diamond Creek||Reservoir|
|1997||Eltham||Paul Smith||Ray Spratt||Diamond Creek||Lower Plenty|
|1996||West Preston||Adam Bruni||Harold Martin||West Preston||Research|
|1995||Eltham||Paul Smith||Grant Wilmot||West Preston||Hurstbridge|
|1994||Northcote Park||Dave Robertson||Dave Robertson||Northcote Park|
|1993||West Preston||Pat Fitzgerald||Andrew Smith||West Preston||Macleod Juniors|
|1992||Diamond Creek||Greg Elliot||Jon Collins||West Preston||West Lalor|
|1991||Mernda||Simon Smythe||Vin Hanlon||West Preston|
|1990||Epping||Kalev Vann||Graham Bux||Epping|
|1989||Eltham||Andrew Russell||Peter Moore||Epping|
|1988||West Preston||Phil Crapper||Mark Duckworth||Research|
|1987||Watsonia||Adrian Sanderson||Barry Rist||Reservoir Lakeside||Thornbury|
|1986||Epping||Matt Scully||Matt Scully||Reservoir Lakeside||West Preston|
|1985||Northcote Park||Wayne Bannister||Wayne Bannister||West Preston||Reservoir Lakeside|
|1984||Reservoir||Rob Docherty||Harold Martin||Reservoir||Reservoir|
|1983||Heidelberg||Michael Sullivan||Michael Sullivan||Northcote Park||Reservoir|
|1982||Eltham||Warren Deards||Hassa Mann||Reservoir||Northcote Park|
|1981||Bundoora||Mark Slater||Mark Slater||Heidelberg||Northcote Park|
|2019||Panton Hill||Mitchell Anderson||Steve Layt||Heidelberg West|
|2018||St Mary's||Dillan Ronalds||Fabian Carelli||St Mary's|
|2017||Banyule||Scott Gumbleton||Pete Davey||St Mary's|
|2016||Watsonia||Matthew Crompton||Corey McCall||St Mary's|
|2014||Thomastown||Anthony Fazzari||Dean Sinclair||Reservoir|
|2013||Panton Hill||Will Box||Dean Haydock||Watsonia|
|2012||Mernda||Rohan Davies||Brett Wilson||Mernda|
|2011||South Morang||Daniel Heatley||Gary Kallinikos||Panton Hill|
|2010||Hurstbridge||Michael Richards||Darren Blyth||South Morang|
|2009Note||Parkside||Rob Wise||Peter Dean||Hurstbridge|
|NFL||Best and Fairest
Frank Rosbrook Medal
|Leading Goal Kicker||Best on Ground in Grand Final|
|2019||Tom Bell||Greensborough||Ahmed Saad||West Preston-Lakeside||76||Luke Lirosi||West Preston-Lakeside|
|Shane Harvey||North Heidelberg||72||Mark Kovacevic||West Preston-Lakeside|
|2017||Matthew Dennis||Bundoora||Ahmed Saad||West Preston-Lakeside||73||Matthew Dennis||Bundoora|
|2016||Matthew Dennis||Bundoora||Gary Moorcroft||Bundoora||64||Lachlan Wilson||Heidelberg|
|2015||Matt Vasilevski||Lower Plenty||James Kroussoratis||Eltham||65||Liam Brandt||Macleod|
|Patrick Fitzgerald||Montmorency||68||Michael Hooper||Greensborough|
|2013||Cameron Cloke||Bundoora||Cameron Cloke||Bundoora||93||Brayden Shaw||Bundoora|
|Gary Moorcroft||Bundoora||75||Anthony Hogan||Northcote Park|
|2011||Michael Finn||Heidelberg||Dean Limbach||Montmorency||83||Micheal Farrelly||Bundoora|
|2010||Nick Meese||West Preston Lakeside||Saul Caddy||Heidelberg||82||Jake Williams||West Preston Lakeside|
|2009||Daniel Keenan||Montmorency||Shane Harvey||North Heidelberg||102||Dean Haydock||Heidelberg|
|Shane Harvey||North Heidelberg||108||Blair Harvey||Heidelberg|
|2007||Daniel McFerran||West Preston L'side||Chris Hall
|DVFL||Best and Fairest
Frank Smith Medal
|Leading Goal Kicker||Best on Ground in Grand Final|
Gary Massey Medal
|2006||Brett Jeffrey||Northcote Park||Adrian Baker||West Preston L'side||73||Dale Nolan||Heidelberg|
|2005||Daniel King||Epping||Chris Hall||Heidelberg||102||Jake King||North Heidelberg|
|2004||Daniel King||Epping||Cristian Brandt||North Heidelberg||78||Chris Hall||Heidelberg|
|2003||Fabian Carelli||West Preston L'side||Peter Van Blommestein||Heidelberg||87||Damien Walsh-Quay||West Preston L'side|
|2002||Mario Bandera||North Heidelberg||Steve Bawden||Epping||87|
|2001||Dean Haydock||Heidelberg||Jason Heatley||North Heidelberg||110|
|2000||Paul King||Bundoora||Damien Yze||Northcote Park||99|
|1999||Leigh Gray||North Heidelberg||Jamie Shaw||North Heidelberg||134|
|1998||Ryan Smith||Heidelberg||Athas Hrysoulakis||Lalor||88|
|1997||Barry Mitchell||Northcote Park||Jamie Shaw||North Heidelberg||114|
|1996||John Origlasso||Northcote Park||Jamie Shaw||North Heidelberg||88|
|1995||Adrian Cameron||Bundoora||Jamie Shaw||North Heidelberg||113|
|1994||Renato Marinelli||Diamond Creek||Jamie Shaw||North Heidelberg||161|
|1993||Kevin Brown||Bundoora||Brett Hancock||North Heidelberg||97|
|1992||Chris Keating||Bundoora||Jason Heatley||North Heidelberg||118|
|1990||Chris Keating||Bundoora||David Miller||Heidelberg||95|
|1989||Richard Guldon||Heidelberg||Steve Webster||Montmorency||62|
|1988||Brad Dunbar||Heidelberg West||Steve Webster||Montmorency||57|
|1987||Wayne Dobson||Greensborough||Steve Webster||Montmorency||83|
|1986||Mark Perkins||Heidelberg West||Mark Johnson||North Heidelberg||59|
|1985||Darryl Harries||Lalor||Glenn Townsend||Greensborough||103|
|1984||Kelvin Wood||Heidelberg West||Russell Jessop||Lalor||103|
|1983||Wayne Dobson||Greensborough||Bill Seiler||Diamond Creek||82|
|1982||Wayne Headlam||Diamond Creek||Bill Seiler||Diamond Creek||86|
|1981||Wayne Headlam||Diamond Creek||Bill Seiler||Diamond Creek||82|
|1980||Elias Demestichas||South Morang||Keith Robbins||Lalor||90|
|1979||John Ellis||Watsonia||Robert Downie||Watsonia||64|
|1978||Mario Cipolla||North Heidelberg||Kevin Grose
|1977||Jeff Edwards||North Heidelberg||Ron Wilson||South Morang||83|
|1976||John Horton||Diamond Creek||Bruce McDowell||Greensborough||97|
|1975||John Clancy||Heidelberg||Bruce McDowell||Greensborough||86|
|1974||Mario Cipolla||North Heidelberg||Lindsay Hopkins||Templestowe||66|
|1973||Stephen Thorpe||Templestowe||Ivan Bromley||Reservoir-Lakeside||87|
|1972||Robin Perkins||Heidelberg||Ivan Bromley||Reservoir-Lakeside||115|
|1971||Jim Christou||Heidelberg||John Horton||Diamond Creek||78|
|1970||Frank Natoli||Reservoir Lakeside||John Vadja||Macleod-Rosanna||81|
|1969||Geoff Noble||Macleod-Rosanna||Ted Wallace||Templestowe||94|
|1968||Dennis Aspinall||Eltham||Bill Chapman||Macleod-Rosanna||73|
|1967||Geoff Condie||Diamond Creek||Bernie Drury||Montmorency||69|
|Max Condie||Diamond Creek||81|
|1965||Graham Campbell||Reservoir-Lakeside||Doug Hayes||Reservoir-Lakeside||85|
|1964||Pat Foley||Heidelberg West||Claude Howard||Heidelberg||74|
|1963||Pat Foley||Heidelberg West||Gerald Walsh||Epping||96|
|1962||Ken Jones||Montmorency||Gerald Walsh||Epping||70|
|1961||Joe Murphy||Greensborough||Les Cann||Reservoir Lakeside||68|
|1960||Clem Cooper||Epping||Ivan Francis||Heidelberg West||67|
|1959||John Elliot||Diamond Creek||Ed Crawley||Heidelberg West||70|
|1957||John Elliot||Diamond Creek||Ray Skals||Greensborough||96|
|1956||Jack Davies||Epping||Les Cann||Montmorency||85|
|1955||Kevin Hart||Macleod||Ron Denmead||Montmorency||65|
|1953||Jack Tucker||Heidelberg West||Roy Kelly||Eltham||64|
|1952||Kevin Hart||Macleod||Wally Dingle||Montmorency||71|
|1951||Joe Adams||Epping||Brian Gillberg||Montmorency||74|
|1950||Geoff Heddle||Diamond Creek||Bill Harvey||Heidelberg||102|
|1949||Geoff Heddle||Diamond Creek||Jack Dempster||Templestowe||97|
|1948||Jack Dempster||Templestowe||Gordon Hastings||Reservoir||68|
|1947||Reg Milburn||Epping||Gordon Hastings||Reservoir||112|
|1946||Joe Delaney||Heidelberg||Gordon Hastings||Reservoir||73|
|Best and Fairest||Leading Goal Kicker||Best on Ground in Grand Final|
John Elliot Medal
|Michael Still||Eltham||44||Xavier Dimasi||Whittlesea|
|2018||Patrick Flynn||Lower Plenty||James Kroussoratis||Banyule||71||Patrick Flynn||Lower Plenty|
|2017||Brent Harvey||North Heidelberg||Shane Harvey||North Heidelberg||106||Jesse Tardio||North Heidelberg|
|2016||Tyron Loader||Hurstbridge||Daniel Francis||Fitzroy Stars||68||Brayden Shaw||Hurstbridge|
|2015||Shane Jacobs||Lalor||Todd Hughes||Lalor||81||Todd Behan||Whittlesea|
|2014||Tyler Scarce||Panton Hill||Shane Harvey||North Heidelberg||110||Jesse Tardio||North Heidelberg|
|2013||Rohan Davies||Mernda||Shane Harvey||North Heidelberg||123||Malcolm Dow*||Fitzroy Stars|
|2012||Lionel Proctor||Fitzroy Stars||Shane Harvey||North Heidelberg||103||Shane Harvey*||North Heidelberg|
|2011||Darcy Barden||Lower Plenty||Peter Shepherd||Lalor||93||Darcy Barden||Lower Plenty|
|2010||Luke Jackson||Diamond Creek||Benjamin Gill||Lower Plenty||59||Lucas Hobbs||Whittlesea|
|2009||Daniel Moore||Epping||John Hayes||Fitzroy Stars||89||Kane Shaw||Macleod|
|2008||Lionel Proctor||Fitzroy Stars||Aaron Willitts||Epping||78||Stefan Berak||Thomastown|
|2007||Andrew Bennett||Macleod||Cristian Brandt||Macleod||109||Nick Mafilovski||Lalor|
|2006||Daniel Eifermann||Whittlesea||Nick Lynch||Macleod||102||David Hutchison||Greensborough|
|2005||Ryan Bongetti||South Morang||Tom Felle||Mernda||104||Shannon Logan||Diamond Creek|
|2004||William Box||Panton Hill||Aaron James||Lalor||114||Paul Briggs||Lalor|
|2003||Jai Audley||Hurstbridge||Toby O'Meara||Reservoir||73||Justin Crowe||Hurstbridge|
|2002||Heath Ayres||Wallan||Adam Bruni||Reservoir||82|
|2001||Tony Callea||Fawkner Park||Paul Baker||Whittlesea||107|
|2000||Paul Eccles||Watsonia||Gavin Tapner||Watsonia||90|
|1999||Mark Spiteri||Kinglake||Ron McKeown||Whittlesea||114|
|1998||Dean Harrington||Whittlesea||Jamie Bown||Whittlesea||79|
|1996||Rocky Iacopino||Macleod||Paul Baker||Hurstbridge||93|
|1995||Dale Carmody||West Preston||Paul Baker
|1994||Billy Colosimo||Reservoir||Paul Baker||Hurstbridge||139|
|1993||Adam Bruni||West Preston||Paul Baker||Hurstbridge||116|
|1992||Paul Tilley||West Preston||Cristian Brandt||West Preston||68|
|1991||Robert Mietus||Hurstbridge||Greg Withers||Heidelberg West||80|
|1988||Steve Easton||Research||Darren Scott||Epping||80|
|1987||Greg Fyffe||West Preston||Ron Wilson||Eltham||83|
|1986||Stan Apostola||Epping||Darren Scott||Epping||97|
|1985||Les Pugh||Thornbury||Warren Jarman||Eltham||72|
|1984||Adrian Sullivan||West Preston||Steve Banbury||West Preston||56|
|1983||Bernie Nicholson||Macleod–Rosanna||Peter McNiece||Northcote Park||83|
|1981||Mark Slater||Bundoora||Rob Michaelangeli||Northcote Park||76|
- Player awarded Best on Ground despite playing for the losing team
|Best and Fairest||Leading Goal Kicker||Best on Ground in Grand Final|
|2019||Jarryd Coulson||Heidelberg West||Rhys Boyden||Panton Hill||62||Daniel Freeman||Panton Hill|
|2018||Jarryd Coulson||Heidelberg West||Rhys Boyden||Panton Hill||76||Myles Gouldon||St.Marys|
|2017||Jarryd Coulson||Heidelberg West||James Kroussoratis||Banyule||74||Scott Gumbleton||Banyule|
|2016||Matthew Crompton||Watsonia||Aaron Willits||Epping||67||Levi Moss||Watsonia|
|2015||Daniel Moore||Epping||Kyl Ewart||Heidelberg West||62||Judd Darby||Reservoir|
|Jacob Osei-Duro||Thomastown||71||Matthew Cupo||Thomastown|
|2013||Lochie Dornauf||Watsonia||Ben Finnin||Panton Hill||53||Abe Williams||Panton Hill|
|2012||Rohan Davies||Mernda||Johnathon Bryon||Panton Hill||96||Matthew Rees||Mernda|
|2011||Brad Hockey||Parkside||Dallas King||Parkside||60||Matthew Manning||South Morang|
|2010||Ryan Docherty||Reservoir||Johnathon Garrard||Panton Hill||88||Josh Saw||Hurstbridge|
|2009Note||Robbie Wise||Parkside||Benjamin Gill||Panton Hill||63||Robbie Wise||Parkside|
Women's Senior Competition
The NFNL Women's Senior Competition was established in 2017. As the NFNL was one of the first metropolitan leagues in Melbourne to begin their own senior women's competition, football clubs from the EDFL, EFL, VAFA and WRFL participated in the NFNL until their own leagues established women's competitions.
There is currently no promotion or relegation between the divisions. To ensure a competitive balance each season, the competition is graded, meaning teams are placed on their level of ability rather than on how they performed the previous year.
|Club||Founded||Nickname||Location||Home Ground||Entered Competition||Jumper|
|Bendigo Women's Football Club||2011||Thunder||Bendigo||Queen Elizabeth Oval||2017|
|Bundoora Football Club||1974||Bulls||Bundoora||Yulong Reserve||2018|
|Darebin Women's Sports Club||1990||Falcons||Preston||A.H. Capp Reserve||2017|
|Diamond Creek Women's Football Club||2010||Creekers||Plenty||Plenty Park Oval||2017|
|Eltham Football Club||1909||Panthers||Eltham||Eltham Central Park||2018|
|Greensborough Football Club||1893||Boro||Greensborough||War Memorial Park||2018|
|Heidelberg Football Club||1876||Tigers||Heidelberg||Warringal Park||2019|
|Hurstbridge Football Club||1914||Bridges||Hurstbridge||Ben Frilay Oval||2019|
|Laurimar Football Club||2017||Power||Doreen||Laurimar Reserve||2017|
|Mernda Football Club||1891||Demons||Mernda||Waterview Recreation Reserve||2018|
|Montmorency Football Club||1924||Magpies||Montmorency||Montmorency Park, North Oval||2017|
|Reservoir Football Club||1923||Mustangs||Reservoir||Crispe Park||2019|
|South Morang Football Club||1954||Lions||Mill Park Lakes||Mill Park Lakes Reserve||2017|
|VU Western Spurs Football Club||1993||Spurs||Footscray||Henry Turner Reserve||2017|
|Wallan Football Club||1904||Magpies||Wallan||Greenhill Reserve||2019|
|West Preston Lakeside Football Club||1998||Roosters||Reservoir||J E Moore Park||2017|
|2019||VU Western Spurs||Jessica Francke
|2018||Bendigo||Andrea Walsh||Luis Alvarez-Harris|
|2017||Bendigo||Leah French||Cherie O'Neill|
|2019||VU Western Spurs||Amy Unwin||John Mustafa|
|2018||West Preston Lakeside||Chloe Kalanj||Brett Pollard|
|2017||VU Western Spurs||B Muscat||Christine Polatajko|
|2019||Greensborough||Kelly Mullins||Stewart Lewis|
|Best and Fairest||Leading Goal Kicker||Best on Ground in Grand Final|
|2019||Nicole Blyth||Montmorency||Kerrie Clarke||VU Western Spurs||21||Jessica Francke||VU Western Spurs|
|2018||Sarah Wright||Keilor||Andrea Walsh||Bendigo||58||Isabella Ayre||Bendigo|
|2017||Shannon Egan||Darebin||Andrea Walsh||Bendigo||50||Jacinta Louttit||Bendigo|
|Best and Fairest||Leading Goal Kicker||Best on Ground in Grand Final|
|2019||Demi Hallett||South Morang||Emma Rowe||Heidelberg||31||Danielle Mazzocca||VU Western Spurs|
|2018||Catherine O'Bryan||West Preston Lakeside||Samantha Greene||La Trobe Uni||39||Catherine O'Bryan||West Preston Lakeside|
|West Preston Lakeside
|Nadine Rabah||VU Western Spurs||24||Nadine Lampard||VU Western Spurs|
|Best and Fairest||Leading Goal Kicker||Best on Ground in Grand Final|
|2019||Belinda Harris||Hurstbridge||Stacy Rigon||VU Western Spurs||24||Ashleigh Ashman*||VU Western Spurs|
|2018||Rainbow Ebert||Bundoora||Amy Callaway||Bundoora||29||Krystal Cullinan*||Eltham|
- Player awarded Best on Ground despite playing for the losing team
The NFL Juniors Competition has 28 clubs. The competition comprises approximately 200 teams divided into 8 age groups; under 9 thorough to under 17. In 2010 the league announced for there to be an under 16 age group which had previously not existed.
Lew Hall Trophy
The trophy is awarded each year to the club which has the most combined premiership points from the under 13, under 15 and under 17 age groups.
|1997||Keon Park Stars|
|Club||Nickname||Location||Home Ground||Entered Competition||Jumpers/Notes||Senior Affiliation|
|Bundoora Park Thunderbolts Junior Football Club||Thunderbolts||Bundoora||Bundoora Park Oval||2011||North Heidelberg|
|Darebin Women's Sports Club||Falcons||Preston||A.H. Capp Reserve||Darebin|
|Diamond Creek Football Club||Creekers||Diamond Creek||Coventry Reserve||1922||Diamond Creek|
|Diamond Creek Women's Football Club||Creekers||Plenty||Plenty Park Oval||Diamond Creek|
|Eltham Football Club||Panthers||Eltham||Eltham Central Park, Susan Street Reserve||1922||Eltham|
|Epping Football Club||Pingers||Epping||Epping Rec Reserve||Epping|
|Greensborough Junior Football Club||Raiders||Greensborough||Anthony Beale Reserve||1968||Greensborough|
|Hurstbridge Football Club||Bridges||Hurstbridge||Ben Frilay Oval||Hurstbridge|
|Kilmore Football Club||Blues||Kilmore||JJ Clancy Reserve, Kilmore||2017||Kilmore|
|Keon Park Stars Junior Football Club||Stars||Reservoir||J C Donath Reserve||1993||Heidelberg West|
|Kinglake Junior Football Club||Lakers||Kinglake||Kinglake Football Ground||2013||Kinglake (YVMDRL)|
|Laurimar Football Club||Power||Doreen||Laurimar Reserve||2011||Laurimar|
|Mernda Football Club||Demons||Mernda||Mernda Rec Reserve||Mernda|
|Mill Park Junior Football Club||Stallions||Mill Park||Redleap Reserve||1981||Watsonia|
|Montmorency Junior Football Club||Magpies||Montmorency||Montmorency Park||1968||Montmorency|
|Northcote Junior Football Club
Formerly Alphington Junior FC
|Cougars||Northcote||McDonell Park||1952||Northcote Park|
|Panton Hill Football Club||Redbacks||Panton Hill||Cracknell Reserve||1997||Panton Hill|
|Research Junior Football Club||Searchers||Research||Research Park||1987||Lower Plenty|
|Reservoir Football Club||Colts||Reservoir||Crispe Park||Reservoir|
|South Morang Junior Football Club||Lions||Mill Park Lakes||Mill Park Lakes Reserve||South Morang|
|Thomastown Football Club||Bears||Thomastown||Main Street Reserve||2013||Thomastown|
|Wallan Junior Football Club||Magpies||Wallan||Wallan Rec Reserve||Wallan|
|West Ivanhoe Junior Football Club||Roosters||Ivanhoe||Seddon Reserve||2013||None|
|West Preston Football Club||Roosters||Preston||J E Moore Park||West Preston Lakeside|
|Whittlesea Football Club||Eagles||Whittlesea||Whittlesea Showgrounds||Whittlesea|
|Yarrambat Junior Football Club||Bats||Yarrambat||Yarrambat War Memorial Park||1979||None|
Former Men's Competition Clubs
- All Blacks Football Club (Folded). A team from Templestowe, the 'All Blacks' were admitted into the Diamond Valley for the 1929 season. It is known that they wore an all-black uniform based upon two small news articles in 1929 where it was reported that the club had lent their strip to the Diamond Valley Football League representative side for their match against the Bourke-Evelyn League as part of the Hartley Shield inter-league competition. The All Blacks were a different team to the current Templestowe Football Club as they played against them in the 1931 and 1932 seasons. They moved to Warringal Park in Heidelberg during the 1930 season and were co-tenants with Old Paradians. They played their final season in 1932 and 'amalgamated' with Heidelberg Football Club in 1933 to play in the VFL Sub-District League.
- Diamond Valley Juniors (A merger between Diamond Creek and Hurstbridge football clubs prior to World War II which was dissolved when the DVFL resumed in 1946)
- Fairfield Park Football Club (Folded) Fairfield Park wore a white jumper with two red vertical stripes and played at Fairfield Park oval on Yarra Bend Rd, Fairfield.
- Fawkner Park Football Club (Merged with North Coburg Saints in 2007 and play in the Essendon District Football League as Northern Saints). They wore a navy jumper with a white FPFC logo and sky blue wings in the style of the West Coast Eagles jumper. They played at Charles Mutton Reserve in Fawkner.
- Kangaroo Ground Football Club (Club is defunct) wore red and white hoops in the style of Geelong Football Club.
- Kinglake Football Club (Currently in the Yarra Valley Mountain District Football League). They wore a gold jumper with a light green vee, in the style of South Melbourne Football Club, when they participated in the DVFL.
- Parkside Football Club (Currently in the Victorian Amateur Football Association). They played at Pitcher Park in Alphington and wore a red jumper with a white PFC monogram with white trim, the same as Preston VFA Football Club, when they participated in the Northern Football League.
- Plenty Rovers Football Club (The Plenty Rovers FC came about because of a merger between the Mernda & Doreen, they played at the Doreen Recreation Reserve, from 1932–1964 (1936–1939, 1946 in the DVFL), until they were forced to move out of Doreen due to powerline extensions, and moved to Mernda Recreation Reserve in Schotters Rd, Mernda, where they changed their name back to the Mernda Football Club in 1965). When Mernda rejoined the DVFL, they changed their jumper from the red and blue Melbourne Football Club design to a red jumper with a blue sash (due to Diamond Creek already wearing the Melbourne Football Club jumper).
- Research Football Club (Club is now solely a junior club, however they do have an alignment with Lower Plenty Football Club). They wore a royal blue jumper with a red hoop and a white hoop either side of it in the style of Footscray Football Club when they played in the Panton Hill Football League but changed to a white jumper with red vertical stripes when they joined the Diamond Valley Football League (Due to North Heidelberg already wearing the bulldogs jumper). As a result of a number violent on-field altercations, the club was expelled following the 1991 season.
- Reservoir-Lakeside Football Club (Merged with West Preston to form West Preston Lakeside F.C). They wore a white jumper with a red vee, the same as South Melbourne Football Club, when they played in the Diamond Valley Football League. They played at LE Cotchin Reserve in Reservoir.
- St Andrews-Coburg Football Club (Folded) played in a blue and yellow jumper, the same as the original West Coast Eagles jumper.
- Templestowe Football Club (Currently in the Eastern Football League (Australia)). They wore a maroon jumper with a white sash in the style of Richmond Football Club.
- Thornbury Football Club (Merged with Reservoir Rovers to become Thornbury Rovers) wore a grass green jumper with a white vee in the style of South Melbourne Football Club.
- Thornbury Rovers Football Club (Folded). The rovers wore red and blue vertical stripes, the same as Port Melbourne Football Club. They played at Hayes Park in Flinders Street, Thornbury.
- Wallan Football Club (Currently in the Riddell District Football League). They wore black and white stripes, the same as Collingwood Football Club, when they played in the Northern Football League.
- Warrandyte Football Club (Currently in the Eastern Football League (Australia)).
- West Preston Football Club (Merged with Reservoir Lakeside to become West Preston Lakeside). They wore a royal blue jumper with two vees, one red and one white when they played in the Diamond Valley Football League.
Former Women's Competition Clubs
- Deer Park Football Club - played in 2017 then moved to Western Region Football League. They wore a royal blue jumper with a gold vee, in the style of South Melbourne Football Club, when they participated in the NFNL.
- Keilor Football Club - played in 2018 then moved to Essendon District Football League. They wore a royal blue jumper with a red hoop and a white hoop either side of it in the style of Footscray Football Club when they participated in the NFNL.
- Kew Football Club - Played in 2017 then moved to Victorian Amateur Football Association. They wore a brown jumper with a gold sash, in the style of Richmond Football Club, when they participated in the NFNL.
- La Trobe University Football Club - played in 2017 then moved to Victorian Amateur Football Association. They wore black and red stripes, in the style of Collingwood Football Club, when they participated in the NFNL.
- Melbourne University Football Club - Played in 2017 then moved to Victorian Amateur Football Association. They wore a black jumper with a blue vee, in the style of South Melbourne Football Club, when they participated in the NFNL.
- Pascoe Vale Football Club - played in 2017 then moved to Essendon District Football League. They wore the same jumper as the Essendon Football Club when they participated in the NFNL.
- Whitehorse Pioneers Football Club - played in 2017 and 2018 then moved to Eastern Football League. They wore a maroon jumper with a white horse head logo when they participated in the NFNL.
Former Junior Competition Clubs
- Coburg Amateurs Junior Football Club (Folded). They played at De Chene Reserve in Coburg and wore red and blue hoops in the style of Geelong Football Club.
- Holy Child Junior Football Club (Folded) wore the same jumper as the Geelong Football Club and played at Gibb Reserve in Dallas.
- Kingsbury Junior Football Club (Folded) Kingsbury played at John Hall Reserve on Dunne St in Kingsbury and wore a royal blue jumper with yellow yoke, in the style of Melbourne Football Club.
- Lalor Stars Junior Football Club (Folded) wore a bottle green jumper, top quarter red, with a white five pointed star on the left breast. They played at WA Smith Reserve in Lalor.
- Newlands Coburg Junior Football club (Folded) wore the Melbourne Football Club jumper. They played at Jackson Reserve in Coburg.
- Preston RSL Junior Football Club (Folded). They wore a red jumper with white trim and played at W Ruthven VC reserve in Preston.
- West Lalor Junior Football Club (Folded) wore a navy jumper with a white vee in the style of South Melbourne Football Club. The number on their back was yellow, were known as the Dragons and played at Huskisson Recreation Reserve in Lalor.
Halfway through the 2009 season, six clubs (including Parkside and Hurstbridge) split from Division 2 in preparation for a third division in 2010. These clubs competed against each other for the rest of the season and Parkside defeated Hurstbridge in the senior grand final with Hurstbridge winning the reserve grand final. As per the announcement of the league at the time the divisions were split, Parkside were not promoted to Division Two.
- "NFL third division gets go-ahead – Australian Rules/Footy – Sport – Diamond Valley Leader". whereilive.com.au.
- The Advertiser, Football – Diamond Valley Association, 5 April 1929, Page 2
- "Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922–1939) – 31 May 1929 – p3". Trove.
- "Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922–1939) – 7 Jun 1929 – p3". Trove.
- "Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922–1939) – 5 Jun 1931 – p4". Trove.
- "Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922–1939) – 15 Jul 1932 – p5". Trove.
- "Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922–1939) – 19 Aug 1932 – p2". Trove.
- "Old Paradians' History Books – Old Paradians – SportsTG". SportsTG.
- "Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic. : 1922–1939) – 24 Mar 1933 – p3". Trove.
- Diamond Valley Football League Annual Report's from 1976 to 2007
- Diamond Valley Football League Website
- Diamond Valley Football League Clubs
- Diamond Valley Football League Football Record
- Diamond Valley Football League Archives