A special election was held in North Carolina's 5th congressional district on August 8, 1805 to fill a vacancy left by the death of Representative James Gillespie (DR) on January 5, 1805, before the 9th Congress began, but after the general elections had taken place for the 8th Congress.
The first session of the 9th Congress began on December 2, 1805 so that this vacancy was filled prior to the first meeting of Congress.
- United States Congressional Elections, 1788-1997: The Official Results, by Michael J. Dubin (McFarland and Company, 1998)
- "8th congress membership roster" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on December 13, 2012.
- "A New Nation Votes".[permanent dead link]
- "Also supported by the Federalists".[permanent dead link]
- "9th Congress membership roster" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on December 13, 2012.