Noachis Terra (lit. "Land of Noah") is an extensive southern landmass (terra) of the planet Mars. It lies west of the giant Hellas impact basin, roughly between the latitudes −20° and −80° and longitudes 30° west and 30° east, centered on Coordinates: . It is in the Noachis quadrangle.
The term "Noachian epoch" is derived from this region.
Floor of crater in Noachis quadrangle, as seen by HiRISE under HiWish program.
Context for image of dark dunes in next image. Picture taken with Mars Global surveyor under MOC Public Targeting Program.
Dark dunes (probably basalt), in an intracrater dune field, Noachis. Picture from Mars Global Surveyor, under the MOC Public Targeting Program.
Wide view of gullies in Arkhangelsky Crater, as seen by HiRISE under HiWish program
Gullies on Dunes
Gullies are found on some dunes. These are somewhat different than gullies in other places, like the walls of craters. Gullies on dunes seem to keep the same width for a long distance and often just end with a pit, instead of an apron. Many of these gullies are found on dunes in Russell (Martian crater).
Close view of the end of gullies in Russell Crater, as seen by HiRISE Note: These type of gullies do not usually end with an apron. The location is Noachis quadrangle.
Interactive Mars map
- Lorenz, R. 2014. The Dune Whisperers. The Planetary Report: 34, 1, 8-14
- Lorenz, R., J. Zimbelman. 2014. Dune Worlds: How Windblown Sand Shapes Planetary Landscapes. Springer Praxis Books / Geophysical Sciences.
- Ruj, T., Komatsu, G., Dohm, J.M., Miyamoto, H. and Salese, F., 2017. Generic identification and classification of morphostructures in the Noachis-Sabaea region, southern highlands of Mars. Journal of Maps, 13(2), pp.755-766. DOI: 10.1080/17445647.2017.1379913.
- Ruj, T., Komatsu, G., Pasckert, J.H. and Dohm, J.M., 2018. Timings of early crustal activity in southern highlands of Mars: Periods of crustal stretching and shortening. Geoscience Frontiers.
- (in English) ESA Science and Technology: Noachis Terra
|This article about the planet Mars or its moons is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an extraterrestrial geological feature is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|