|No. 630 Squadron RAF|
|Active||15 November 1943 – 18 July 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 5 Group RAF RAF Bomber Command|
|Base||RAF East Kirkby, Lincolnshire|
|Motto(s)||Latin: Nocturna Mors|
"Death by night"
|Squadron Badge heraldry||On an ogress, a Lancaster rose fimbriated|
|Squadron Codes||LE (Nov 1943 – Jul 1945)|
Four-engined heavy bomber
The squadron was formed at RAF East Kirkby, near Spilsby in Lincolnshire on 15 November 1943 from 'B' Flight of No. 57 Squadron RAF, equipped with Lancaster Mk.I bombers as part of No. 5 Group RAF in Bomber Command. It re-equipped with Lancaster Mk.III bombers the same month, carrying out strategic bombing roles. Between 18/19 November 1943 and 25 April 1945, the squadron took part in many major raids, including each of the 16 big raids made by Bomber Command on the German capital during what became known as the "Battle of Berlin".
The units first operation was the night of 18/19 November 1943 when 9 of its Lancasters bombed Berlin and its last bombing sortie was 25 April 1945 with 5 Lancasters bombing Obersalzberg. Its last military operation was minelaying in Onions area (Oslofjord off Horten) on 25/26 April 1945.
|November 1943||July 1945||Avro Lancaster||Mks.I & III|
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Copeman, Geoff D. Bomber Squadrons at War: Nos. 57 and 630 Squadrons. Phoenix Mill, UK: Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd., 1997. ISBN 0-7509-1710-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Hawker, Douglas, DFC. With luck to spare. Preston, UK: Compaid Graphics, 2004. ISBN 1-900604-15-9.
- Jadot, Didier J, "A Share of Luck" 630 Sqn RAF Bomber Command War Operations. Berlin (Germany) - Morgana Edition 2014 ISBN 978-3-943844-64-1
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Moyes, Philip J.R. Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald and Jane's, 1964 (2nd edition 1976). ISBN 0-354-01027-1.
- Ward, Chris. Royal Air Force Bomber Command Squadron Profiles: 630 Squadron – "Nocturna Mors" (Bomber Command Profile no. 124). Lutterworth, Berkshire, UK: Ward Publishing, 2000.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 630 Squadron RAF.|
- - 630 Squadron detailed history
- - 57 & 630 Squadron Association
- 630Squadron.co.uk – The 630 Squadron Home Page
- 630 Squadron history on RAF website
- No. 630 Squadron RAF movement and equipment history
- History of No.'s 621–650 Squadrons at RAF Web
- Wartime memories of 630 Squadron
- Les Amis De G. Allan Bullocks (in French)