|No. 625 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 October 1943 – 7 October 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 1 Group RAF, Bomber Command|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||Within a circular chain of seven links, a Lancaster rose|
The Lancaster rose stands for the aircraft used, the seven links the number of personnel in one such aircraft
|Squadron Codes||CF (Oct 1943 - Oct 1945)|
Four-engined heavy bomber
The squadron was formed on 1 October 1943 at RAF Kelstern, Lincolnshire from 'C' flight of 100 Squadron. It was equipped with Avro Lancasters, as part of No. 1 Group RAF in Bomber Command, of which it formed part between 18 October 1944 and 25 April 1945. The squadron mainly carried out night raids against Germany. On 5 April 1945, it moved to RAF Scampton. At the end of the war, the squadron dropped food to the starving Dutch people (Operation Manna), and flew Prisoner of War repatriation flights from Belgium (Operation Exodus) and repatriated British troops from Italy, before it was disbanded on 7 October 1945.
In December 2010 the entire 625 Squadron Operational Records (ORB) and an Air Crew Roll Of Honour was compiled into a searchable database - contact www.lancaster-archive.com for more information
First operational mission
18/19 October 1943
Last operational mission
25 April 1945
Last mission before V.E. (Victory of Europe) Day
7 May 1945
|October 1943||October 1945||Avro Lancaster||Mks.I & II|
|October 1943||April 1945||RAF Kelstern, Lincolnshire|
|April 1945||October 1945||RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire|
The squadron memorial stands near the village of Kelstern. It was erected in 1964 and was the first to be erected to the memory of a single squadron.
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937-56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 978-0-85059-364-8.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 978-1-84037-281-6.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 978-0-85130-164-8.
- Jefford, C.G. RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988. ISBN 978-1-85310-053-6. (2nd edition 2001. ISBN 978-1-84037-141-3.)
- Mattingley, Christobel. Battle Order 204. Crows Nest, New South Wales, Australia: Allen & Unwin, 2007. ISBN 978-1-74175-161-1.
- Moyes, Philip J.R. Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London, UK: Macdonald and Jane's Publishers Ltd., 1964, 2nd edition 1976. ISBN 978-0-354-01027-6.
- Ward, Cris. Royal Air Force Bomber Command Squadron Profiles, Number 121: 625 Squadron. "We Avenge". Berkshire, UK: Ward Publishing, 1998.
- Squadron history for nos. 621-650 sqn. at RAF Web
- 625 sqn. page of RAF website
- 625 Sqn Information at Lancaster-Archive.com