|No. 571 Squadron RAF|
|Active||7 Apr 1944 – 20 Sep 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 8 (Pathfinder) Group, RAF Bomber Command|
|Squadron Codes||8K (Apr 1944 – Sep 1945)|
The squadron was formed on 7 April 1944 at RAF Downham Market, Norfolk to operate the de Havilland Mosquito XVI as part of the No. 8 (Pathfinder) Group. The main squadron role was to carry out independent raids on German industrial targets using 4,000 lb (1,814 kg) "Cookie" bombs. The squadron moved to RAF Oakington on 22 April 1944 and then, after having flown its last operational mission on 26/27 April 1945, to RAF Warboys on 20 July 1945. No. 571 Squadron was disbanded at Warboys on 20 September 1945.
The squadron carried out 2,681 operational sorties with the Mosquito with a loss of 8 aircraft.
|April 1944||September 1945||de Havilland Mosquito||Mk.XVI||Twin-engined light bomber|
|7 April 1944||24 April 1944||RAF Downham Market, Norfolk||Det. at RAF Graveley, Huntingdonshire|
|24 April 1944||20 July 1945||RAF Oakington, Cambridgeshire|
|20 July 1945||20 September 1945||RAF Warboys, Huntingdonshire|
|April 1944||November 1944||W/Cdr. J.M. Birkin, DSO, DFC, AFC|
|November 1944||March 1945||W/Cdr. R.J. Gosnell, DSO, DFC|
|March 1945||September 1945||W/Cdr. R.W. Bray, DFC|
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982–1985). Orbis Publishing. 1985.
- Blunt, Barry (2003). 571 Mosquito Bomber Squadron. Barry Blunt. ISBN 0-9520532-7-6.
- Bowyer, Chaz (1984). Mosquito Squadron of the Royal Air Force. Shepperton, Surrey, UK: Ian Allan Ltd. ISBN 0-7110-1425-6.
- Bowyer, Michael J.F.; John D.R. Rawlings (1979). Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Falconer, Jonathan (2003). Bomber Command Handbook, 1939–1945. Stroud, England: Sutton Publishing. pp. 203–204. ISBN 0-7509-3171-X.
- Flintham, Vic; Andrew Thomas (2003). Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. (1988). The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth, 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G. (2001). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Moyes, Philip J.R. (1976). Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald and Jane's (Publishers) Ltd. ISBN 0-354-01027-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 571 Squadron RAF.|