|No. 520 Squadron RAF|
|Active||20 September 1943 – 25 April 1946|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||HQ RAF Gibraltar, Coastal Command|
|Motto(s)||Tomorrow's Weather Today|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||A dove holding in the beak an olive branch|
|Squadron Codes||2M (Sep 1943 – Apr 1946)|
The squadron was formed at RAF Gibraltar on 20 September 1943 from 1403 Flight. Equipped with Lockheed Hudsons, it was tasked with collecting meteorological data from both the Mediterranean and Atlantic. In February 1944 it was re-equipped with Handley Page Halifaxes and these were supplemented by Supermarine Spitfires, although the Spitfires were replaced with Hawker Hurricanes a few months later. In September 1944 the squadron absorbed 1500 (BAT) Flight and its Miles Martinets, which were used for target towing. The squadron also operated the Hudson again and also the Vickers Warwick. The squadron continued to serve for a while after the war was over, and was even given an air-sea rescue task, using the Warwicks, but was disbanded at Gibraltar on 25 April 1946.
|September 1943||March 1944||Lockheed Hudson||Mk.III|
|September 1943||June 1944||Gloster Gladiator||Mk.II|
|February 1944||June 1945||Handley Page Halifax||Mk.V|
|February 1944||June 1944||Supermarine Spitfire||Mk.Vb|
|June 1944||April 1946||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IIc|
|September 1944||December 1945||Miles Martinet||Mk.I|
|January 1945||October 1945||Lockheed Hudson||Mk.III|
|April 1945||April 1946||Handley Page Halifax||Mk.III|
|August 1945||April 1946||Vickers Warwick||Mk.I|
|October 1945||January 1946||Lockheed Hudson||Mk.VI|
|20 September 1943||25 April 1946||RAF Gibraltar||already in use with 1403 Flight since 6 March 1943|
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth, 1981–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- Sturtivant, Ray, ISO and John Hamlin. RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 520 Squadron RAF.|