Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
The members of Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets bowing after a show at the O2 Apollo Manchester in 2018
|Associated acts||Pink Floyd, Spandau Ballet|
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets are an English psychedelic rock band formed in 2018 by drummer Nick Mason and guitarist Lee Harris to perform the early music of Mason's band Pink Floyd. The band also includes Gary Kemp of Spandau Ballet on guitars and vocals and longtime Pink Floyd collaborator Guy Pratt on bass and vocals. Mason said the group were not a tribute band, but wanted to "capture the spirit" of the era; he stressed that Kemp was not a replacement for original Pink Floyd frontman Syd Barrett, who left the band in 1968.
The band made their live debut in May 2018 in front of an invited audience at Dingwalls in London, playing a selection of Pink Floyd material released before their 1973 album The Dark Side of the Moon. This was followed by three small shows at the Half Moon, Putney and a European tour in September 2018.
In 2016, Mason curated the boxset The Early Years 1965-1972, which documents Pink Floyd's psychedelic work before guitarist Syd Barrett was replaced by David Gilmour. The boxset contains much live material from the period which Mason says he wished to revisit on his 2018 tour. Songs such as "Astronomy Domine", "Green Is the Colour", "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", "A Saucerful of Secrets" and "One of These Days" were staples of early Pink Floyd shows from 1969–1972.
Other songs which Mason and his band performed on the 2018 tour, such as "Lucifer Sam", "Arnold Layne", "Bike" and "Fearless" were never performed live by Pink Floyd during this era (save for some mimed TV appearances), though Gilmour frequently performed "Arnold Layne" on his 2006 tour; the song was also performed by Gilmour, Mason, and Richard Wright at The Madcap's Last Laugh, a Syd Barrett tribute show in May 2007. "Lucifer Sam" was also performed by Syd Barrett's short-lived band Stars in 1972. The song "Vegetable Man", recorded in 1967 was first released as part of the Early Years boxset in 2016.
On 18 April 2019, Mason's former Pink Floyd bandmate Roger Waters surprised the audience at the Beacon Theatre by joining the band onstage to sing the lead vocals for "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun".
- Nick Mason - drums, gong, bell, percussion
- Guy Pratt - bass, vocals, cymbals on "A Saucerful of Secrets", gong on "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
- Gary Kemp - guitars, vocals
- Lee Harris - guitars, backing vocals
- Dom Beken - keyboards, programming, backing vocals
- "Interstellar Overdrive"
- "Astronomy Domine"
- "Lucifer Sam"
- "Obscured by Clouds"
- "When You're In"
- "Remember a Day" (added March 2019)
- "Arnold Layne"
- "Vegetable Man" (added September 2018)
- "Medley: If (excerpt)" / "Atom Heart Mother (excerpt)" / "If (reprise)" (added September 2018)
- "The Nile Song"
- "Green Is the Colour"
- "Let There Be More Light"
- "Childhood's End" (added March 2019; added to this position from 13 March 2019)
- "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (guest vocals by Roger Waters on 18 April 2019)
- "See Emily Play"
- "One of These Days"
- "A Saucerful of Secrets"
- "Point Me at the Sky" (dropped on 12 March 2019 and replaced by "Childhood's End", which was played before "A Saucerful of Secrets" in the encore. Restored to this position from 13 March 2019 onwards.)
- Mazza, Ed (30 May 2018). "Pink Floyd Co-Founder Forms New Act To Play The Band's Earliest Songs". HuffPost UK. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Richards, Sam (18 May 2018). "Why Nick Mason is rebooting Syd-era Pink Floyd - Uncut". Uncut. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- McCormick, Neil (21 May 2018). "Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets review, Dingwalls: thrilling return to weirdness of Sixties Pink Floyd". The Telegraph. London. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Hunt, El (17 April 2018). "Nick Mason to perform early Pink Floyd material with supergroup". NME. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Kielty, Martin. "Nick Mason's Pink Floyd Supergroup Announces Debut Tour". Ultimate Classic Rock. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Roger Waters joined Nick Mason to play Pink Floyd at Beacon Theatre (watch)". BrooklynVegan. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "Nick Mason (Official)". Facebook. 15 August 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
We're very pleased to be announcing that the amazing Emma Tricca will be joining Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets tour as support.
- "Emma Tricca". Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Saucerful Of Secrets". Facebook. 4 February 2019.
Just announced: English musician Sam Duckworth, known as Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly., will be supporting us during our North American tour
- "McNally Waters". Facebook. 26 February 2019.
We are excited to announce that McNally Waters will be supporting Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets UK tour!