|New Zealand Bravery Star|
Obverse of the medal. Ribbon: 32mm, bright blue with two crimson stripes.
|Awarded by New Zealand|
|Eligibility||Those performing acts of bravery in, or meriting recognition by, New Zealand|
|Awarded for||"acts of outstanding bravery in situations of danger"|
|Description||45mm, (Obverse) faceted silver eight-pointed star with four long and four short points surmounted by the Royal Crown and fern frond wreath emblem; (reverse) inscribed "FOR BRAVERY - MO TE MAIA". With ring suspension.|
|Established||20 September 1999|
|First awarded||23 October 1999|
|Last awarded||2 April 2011|
|Next (higher)||New Zealand Gallantry Star|
|Next (lower)||Companion of the Queen's Service Order|
It was instituted by Royal Warrant on 20 September 1999 as part of the move to replace British bravery awards with an indigenous New Zealand Bravery system. The medal, which may be awarded posthumously, is granted in recognition of "acts of outstanding bravery in situations of danger". The medal is primarily a civilian award, but it is also awarded to members of the armed forces who perform acts of bravery in non-operational circumstances (given that the New Zealand gallantry awards may only be awarded "while involved in war and warlike operational service (including peacekeeping)".
The medal replaced the award of the George Medal in respect of acts of bravery in, or meriting recognition by, New Zealand.
- Orders, decorations, and medals of New Zealand
- New Zealand gallantry awards
- New Zealand bravery awards
- New Zealand campaign medals
- "New Zealand bravery awards". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 28 January 2020.
- "Order of Wear: Orders, Decorations and Medals in New Zealand". www.honours.govt.nz/honours. Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, Honours Secretariat - Medal information page". Archived from the original on 2006-10-08. Retrieved 2006-10-18.
- New Zealand Defence Force - Text of the Royal warrant for the New Zealand Gallantry awards system - s.5
- "NZDF Medals - The New Zealand Bravery Star (NZBS)". medals.nzdf.mil.nz. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Mackay, J and Mussel, J (eds) - Medals Yearbook - 2005, (2004), Token Publishing.