For the last time, the Governor of New Jersey was elected to a 3-year term. Afterwards, New Jersey gubernatorial elections, would be for terms of 4 years.
- Lewis G. Hansen, former district court judge
|Democratic||Lewis G. Hansen||162,845||100.00|
|Republican||Alfred E. Driscoll||281,715||57.96|
|Republican||Harold G. Hoffman||204,306||42.04|
Major party candidates
- Alfred E. Driscoll, Republican
- Lewis G. Hansen, Democratic
- Alan Kohlman, Socialist Workers Party
- Lawrence Mahan, Communist Party USA
- Rubye Smith, Socialist Party of America
- Robert L. Gittings, Anti Medical Trust Federation
- George E. Bopp, Socialist Labor Party of America
- John Binns, Prohibition Party
|Republican||Alfred E. Driscoll||807,378||57.08%|
|Democratic||Lewis G. Hansen||585,960||41.42%|
|Socialist Workers||Alan Kohlman||9,823||0.69%|
|Independent||Robert L. Gittings||2,108||0.15%|
|Socialist Labor||George E. Bopp||1,476||0.10%|
- "Candidates for the Office of Governor - State of New Jersey" (PDF). Secretary of State of New Jersey. 1946. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Votes Cast for the Office of Governor of the State of New Jersey" (PDF). Secretary of State of New Jersey. 1946. Retrieved August 29, 2015.