|New Jersey's 10th congressional district|
District map as of 2013
New Jersey's 10th congressional district is an urban congressional district in the U.S. state of New Jersey. The district consists of portions of Essex, Hudson and Union counties, and includes the cities of Newark and Orange. The district is majority African American and has been represented in Congress by Democrat Donald Payne Jr. since November 2012.
The district was previously represented by Donald Payne Jr.'s father, Donald M. Payne, from 1989 to 2012, and became vacant as a result of the elder Payne's death on March 6, 2012. On November 15, 2012, Donald Payne Jr. was sworn into office and on January 3, 2013, he began serving his first full term.
Counties and municipalities in the district
- Bloomfield (part; also 11th), East Orange, Glen Ridge, Irvington, Maplewood, Montclair (part; also 11th), Newark (part; also 8th), Orange, South Orange, West Orange (part; also 11th)
Recent election results
Election results from U.S. presidential races
|Year||Winner / Results|
|2000||Gore 83 - 16%|
|2004||Kerry 82 - 18%|
|2008||Obama 87 - 13%|
|2012||Obama 88 - 11.5%|
|2016||Clinton 85 - 13%|
Election results from U.S. House races
|Democratic||Donald M. Payne, Newark||84,681||77.35%|
|Republican||Michael Webb, East Orange||13,848||12.65%|
|Independent||Anthony Imperiale, Newark||5,422||4.95%|
|Socialist Workers||Mindy Birdno, Newark||4,539||4.15%|
|Independent||Alvin Curtis, Jersey City||551||0.50%|
|Independent||Alan Bowser, East Orange||432||0.40%|
|Democratic||Donald M. Payne||42,106||81.44%|
|Republican||Howard E. Berkeley||8,954||17.32%|
|Socialist Workers||George Mehrabian||643||1.24%|
|Democratic||Donald M. Payne||117,287||78.38%|
|Republican||Alfred D. Palermo||30,160||20.16%|
|Socialist Workers||William Theodore Leonard||913||0.61%|
|Democratic||Donald M. Payne||74,622||75.86%|
|Socialist Workers||Maurice Williams||624||0.63%|
List of members representing the district
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Hernandez, Raymond. "Donald M. Payne, First Black Elected to Congress From New Jersey, Dies at 77", The New York Times, March 6, 2012. Accessed March 7, 2012. "Representative Donald M. Payne, a former chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus who achieved a long-held goal of becoming the first black congressman from New Jersey, died on Tuesday in Livingston, N.J. He was 77."
- Plan Components Report, New Jersey Redistricting Commission, December 23, 2011. Accessed November 6, 2016.
- "Our Campaigns - NJ District 10 - Nov 08, 1988".
- "Our Campaigns - NJ District 10 - Nov 06, 1990".
- "Our Campaigns - NJ District 10 - Nov 03, 1992".
- "Our Campaigns - NJ District 10 - Nov 08, 1994".
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present
- New Jersey 2011 Congressional Redistricting Commission