New Durham, North Bergen
Church in New Durham
|Elevation||23 ft (7 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||878732|
New Durham is an unincorporated community and neighborhood located within North Bergen Township in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. It is located near the foot of Union Turnpike and Bergen Turnpike, and south of the Tonnelle Avenue Station of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail. It is one of the few residential areas along the otherwise industrial/commercial Tonnelle Ave, and site of one the town's main offices.
The area was the site of the colonial American community centered on the Three Pigeons when most of North Hudson was called Bergen Woods, a name recalled in Bergenwood Section on the steep slopes of the west side of the Hudson Palisades. Bergen Turnpike was one of the plank roads Hackensack Plank Road, crossing the Bergen Hill and the Hackensack Meadows that joined the village at Bergen Square with that at Hackenack that had been made the county seat of then much larger Bergen County in 1710. A congregation, established in the 1800s, still uses the name for their church.
The Meadowview Section of North Bergen rises to the east of New Durham to the Municipal Building on Kennedy Boulevard. This neighborhood is nestled between the many cemeteries-Flower Hill Cemetery, Grove Church Cemetery, Hoboken Cemetery, Macphelah Cemetery and Weehawken Cemetery, that characterize the area and collectively constitute one of the largest green open spaces in the otherwise densely populated North Hudson area.
- "New Durham". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Gordon, Thomas Francis (1834). "A Gazetteer of the State of New Jersey: Comprehending a General View of Its Physical and Moral Condition, Together with a Topographical and Statistical Account of Its Counties, Towns, Villages, Canals, Rail Roads, &c., Accompanied by a Map".
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed February 7, 2015.
- North Bergen Post Office
- Hudson County New Jersey Street Map. Hagstrom Map Company, Inc. 2008. ISBN 978-0-88097-763-0.
- New Durham Church
- Barber, John W.; Howe, Henry (1844), "North Bergen", Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey, New York: S. Tuttle, archived from the original on 2012-07-10
- NYSW Stations[permanent dead link]
- "NYSW". Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2010-11-28.