The National Youth Orchestra of Canada (NYOC) is a Canadian youth orchestra located in Waterloo, Ontario. As of 2013, it has been one of the world's-longest-operating youth orchestras. The orchestra has given concert tours in every major Canadian city as well as trips to other countries, including the United States, Japan, China and countries in Europe. About 30% of the musicians in Canadian orchestras have previously played in the NYOC.
The National Youth Orchestra was founded in 1960 by Walter Suskind, conductor of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, to help young musicians gain experience needed to play in professional orchestras.
In 2009 the orchestra for the first time performed a concert which was streamed in its entirety over the internet.
In 2017 the orchestra commissioned a large art installation titled Four Seasons of the Canadian Flag, to be displayed as part of their tour in the year of Canada's 150th birthday.
In 2018 the orchestra traveled to Scotland to perform at the Edinburgh International Festival.
The orchestra has performed in the following notable concert halls.
- Centre in the Square – Kitchener, Ontario
- Chan Centre for the Performing Arts – Vancouver, British Columbia
- Mann Center for the Performing Arts
- National Arts Centre
- Notre Dame Cathedral
- Koerner Hall
- Winspear Centre
- Contact Us – National Youth Orchestra of Canada
- "CBC Music – Free Streaming Radio, Videos, Songs, Concerts & Playlists". music.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
- "National Youth Orchestra of Canada". Edinburgh Reporter, John Preece - August 13, 2018
- "These kids are reviving the heart and soul of classical music". The Globe and Mail, ROBERT HARRIS July 30, 2013
- Elaine Keillor (18 March 2008). Music in Canada: Capturing Landscape and Diversity. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. p. 224. ISBN 978-0-7735-3391-2.
- National Youth Orchestra Canada on CBC Music – Free Streaming Radio, Videos, Songs, Concerts & Playlists
- Paul Helmer (22 June 2014). Growing with Canada: The ƒmigrŽ Tradition in Canadian Music. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. p. 219. ISBN 978-0-7735-7624-7.
- "Georg Tintner". The Canadian Encyclopedia.
- " McGill, National Youth Orchestra of Canada team up for Web concert". McGill Reporter, August 5, 2009, By Chris Chipello
- "Powerful painting inspires composer to connect Canadians". The Conversation, July 17, 2017
- "Festival music review: National Youth Orchestra of Canada". The Herald, Aug 15, 2018. Keith Bruce
- Daily Exchange
- National Youth Orchestra of Canada to deliver a highlight of summer
- Young People's Concert Series – National Youth Orchestra of Canada
- Kaptainis, Arthur (July 30, 2013). "Concert Review: The National Youth Orchestra of Canada did a terrific job (as usual) at Koerner Hall" (PDF). National Post. Retrieved 2014-07-29.