|Full name||National Union of Hosiery and Knitwear Workers|
|Founded||1 January 1945|
|Merged into||National Union of Knitwear, Footwear and Apparel Trades|
|Office location||55 New Walk, Leicester|
The union was founded in 1945, with the merger of five local unions: the Hinckley and District Hosiery Union, Ilkeston and District Hosiery Union, Leicester and Leicestershire Amalgamated Hosiery Union, Loughborough Federated Hosiery Union and Nottingham and District Hosiery Workers' Society. Shortly after, most Scottish unions voted to join the new organisation. Sections were also created for northern and southern England and, by the end of the year, it had 22,430 members. The following year, it secured a national agreement limiting night work and restricting total working to 45 hours per week.
|District||Membership in December 1945|
In 1970, a threat of national strike action secured a 10% wage increase and the abandonment of plans for a continuous shift system. Membership of the union continued to grow, reaching a peak of 74,077 in 1977. Several small unions affiliated, the most notable being the Amalgamated Society of Operative Lace Makers and Textile Workers. However, widespread redundancies in the sector began reducing membership. In 1991, it merged with the National Union of Footwear, Leather and Allied Trades, with 34,183 members remaining to join the new National Union of Knitwear, Footwear and Apparel Trades.
- 1945: Horace Moulden
- 1963: George Dearing
- 1968: Peter Pendergast
- 1975: Harold Gibson
- 1982: David Lambert
- 1945: Clifford Groocock
- 1960: George Dearing
- 1963: Harold Gibson
- 1975: David Lambert
- 1982: George Marshall
- 1984: Tom Kirk
- 1989: Helen McGrath
- Richard Gurnham A History of the TRADE UNION MOVEMENT in the HOSIERY and KNITWEAR INDUSTRY 1776-1976 (NUHKW, Leicester 1976)
- Bramwell G Rudd COURTAULDS and the HOSIERY & KNITWEAR INDUSTRY (Carnegie Publishing Ltd) (2014, ISBN softback 978-1-905472-06-2, hardback 978-1-905472-18-5)
- Marsh, Arthur (1984). Trade Union Handbook (3 ed.). Aldershot: Gower. pp. 238–239. ISBN 0566024268.
- NUHKW - National Union of Hosiery and Knitwear Workers, Community (trade union) page archived at web.archive.org
- National Union of Hosiery & Knitwear Workers, Knitting Together
- Gurnham, Richard (1976). A History of the Trade Union movement in the Hosiery and Knitwear Industry. Leicester: National Union of Hosiery and Knitwear Workers. p. 153.
- The Who's Who Of Radical Leicester Archived 2012-05-02 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 2012-05-28
- "Hosiery and Knitwear union ballots members...", Tribune 1981-05-08, retrieved 2012-05-28[dead link]
- Knitwear leader dies Tribune (magazine) 1984-05-18, retrieved 2012-05-28][dead link]
- Knitwear post, Glasgow Herald 1984-06-12, retrieved 2012-05-28
- News in brief, 1994-04-29, retrieved 2012-05-28