|Launched||1 July 1998|
|Owned by||Fox Networks Group Benelux (Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International)|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Audience share||1.1% (2018, SKO)|
|Broadcast area||Netherlands, Belgium|
|Formerly called||National Geographic Channel (1998–2016)|
|Replaced||Super Channel (1987–1993)|
NBC Super Channel (1993–1996)
NBC Europe (1996–1998)
|Sister channel(s)||National Geographic Wild|
Fox Sports Eredivisie
Fox Sports International
|Digitenne||Channel 21 (HD)|
|Canal Digitaal||Channel 19 (HD)|
|TV Vlaanderen Digitaal||Channel 25 (HD)|
|Joyne||Channel 34 (SD)|
|Ziggo||Channel 18 (HD)|
Channel 939 (SD)
|Caiway||Channel 16 (HD)|
|Telenet||Channel 16 (SD)|
Channel 51 (HD)
|Numericable Belgium||Channel 204|
|DELTA||Channel 15 (HD)|
|Kabel Noord||Channel 252 (HD)|
|KPN||Channel 18 (HD)|
|Belgacom TV||Channel 96 (Flanders only)|
|T-Mobile||Channel 81 (HD)|
|Tele2||Channel 19 (HD)|
|Ziggo GO||ZiggoGO.tv (Europe only)|
National Geographic is a Dutch free-to-air television channel that features documentaries produced by the National Geographic Society. It features some programming similar to that on the Discovery such as nature, science, culture, and history documentaries. The channel launched in the Netherlands in 1998 and initially time shared with CNBC Europe. It was later launched worldwide including in Asia and the United States. Today, the channel is available in over 145 countries, seen in more than 160 million homes and in 25 languages.
National Geographic Channel launched in the Netherlands on 1 July 1998. It replaced NBC Europe, formerly known as NBC Super Channel and Super Channel. At the start National Geographic Channel time shared with CNBC Europe. In 2006 NBCUniversal sold its 25% shares to the News Corporation but it took 3 years before National Geographic Channel became a 24 hours channel. On 1 December 2009 CNBC Europe ceased airing in the mornings.
On 14 November 2016, National Geographic Channel was rebranded as National Geographic, dropping the "Channel" from its name.
National Geographic HD
National Geographic HD is available in the Netherlands. It launched through CanalDigitaal on 11 April 2008, two months later followed by UPC Netherlands on 8 June 2006. Originally the HD version was not a simulcast of the standard definition version of the National Geographic Channel, with some of the content coming from Rush HD, however from 1 September 2011 National Geographic Channel HD became a simulcast.
- National Geographic (magazine)
- National Geographic (American TV channel)
- National Geographic Society
- "Corporate Info". NBC. 27 September 2012. Archived from the original on 15 August 2007.
- Raymond van den Boogaard (8 July 1998). "Exit NBC". Trouw.
- Jan-Hein Visser (20 November 2009). "National Geographic Channel stopt kanaaldeling". Totaal TV.
- David Knox (14 November 2016). "National Geographic goes Further with rebrand". TVTonight.com.au.
- New Disney Registration Statement
- Jarco Kriek (9 April 2008). "CanalDigitaal start HDTV-aanbod". Totaal TV.
- "UPC start met HDTV". Techzine. 8 June 2006.
- Jarco Kriek (22 July 2011). "National Geographic Channel HD wordt HD-simulcast van SD-variant". Totaal TV.