Beaulieu with the Montreal Canadiens in January 2015
December 5, 1992 |
Strathroy, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|NHL Draft||17th overall, 2011
Nathan Anthony Richard Beaulieu (born December 5, 1992) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player currently playing for the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected 17th overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by the Montreal Canadiens.
Beaulieu was drafted by the Saint John Sea Dogs in the fourth round, 68th overall, of the 2008 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) Midget Draft. When he began his junior career with the Sea Dogs in 2008, his father Jacques was the team's head coach. His father was fired by the team and replaced with Gerard Gallant in 2009, an incident which caused Beaulieu to consider leaving the team. He decided to remain with Saint John after speaking with Gallant.
During the 2010–11 QMJHL season, Beaulieu established himself as a top prospect for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, and was nominated for the Mike Bossy Trophy, awarded to the QMJHL's top professional prospect; he lost the award to Sean Couturier. Beaulieu was ranked fifth among North American skaters by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau in its final rankings, an improvement from his mid-season ranking of ninth. Saint John won the QMJHL championship and moved on to the 2011 Memorial Cup. Beaulieu scored the winning goal in the team's first game of the tournament against hosts Mississauga St. Michael's Majors. The Sea Dogs met the Majors again in the championship game of the tournament and won 3–1 to capture the Memorial Cup. After the tournament, Beaulieu was named to the Memorial Cup All-Star Team. The Sea Dogs win was the second Memorial Cup win for the Beaulieu family, as his father Jacques was an assistant coach with the London Knights when they won in 2005.
Beaulieu made his professional debut in the 2012–13 season with the Canadiens' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs. He later played his first NHL game with the Canadiens on March 30, 2013.
On April 27, 2013, Beaulieu—along with his father Jacques—were involved in an altercation in their hometown of Strathroy, Ontario. The incident in question took place following a charity golf tournament at a private residence and stemmed from property damages by the Beaulieus. As a result, two people were assaulted and suffered minor injuries. In August 2013, Beaulieu and his father pleaded guilty to assault. Each was assessed penalties of conditional discharges with nine months' probation, a joint recommendation from the Crown and the defence.
Beaulieu in January 2012
|World Junior Championships|
Regular season and playoffs
|2008–09||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||49||2||8||10||14||4||0||0||0||2|
|2009–10||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||66||12||33||45||40||21||4||12||16||22|
|2010–11||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||65||12||33||45||52||19||4||13||17||26|
|2011–12||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||53||11||41||52||100||17||4||11||15||32|
Awards and honours
|Memorial Cup All-Star Team||2011|||
|QMJHL President's Cup Championship||2011, 2012|
|Memorial Cup Championship||2011|||
|IIHF World U20 Championship Bronze Medal||2012|
- "Nathan Beaulieu". Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- Klinkenberg, Marty (2011-05-23). "Beaulieu in pursuit of rare father/son accomplishment". Telegraph Journal. Canada East. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- Morreale, Mike G. (2011-03-22). "QMJHL Announces finalists for Golden Puck Awards". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- Beacon, Bill (2011-04-07). "Islanders, Rocket goalie among QMJHL award winners". The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Beaulieu, Nathan". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "History – All-Star Teams". Mastercard Memorial Cup. Canadian Hockey League. 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "Strathroy's Nathan Beaulieu part of Memorial Cup team". Strathroy Age Dispatch. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Montreal Canadiens send Nathan Beaulieu to Buffalo as teams sort out rosters ahead of expansion draft". nationalpost.com. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "Montreal Canadiens prospect, dad plead guilty to assault charges". Brantford Expositor. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Habs prospect Nathan Beaulieu pleads guilty to assault charges". CBS Sports. Retrieved November 13, 2016.
- "Canadiens prospect Nathan Beaulieu pleads guilty to assault". The Canadian Press. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- Nathan Beaulieu career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Nathan Beaulieu career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Montreal Canadiens first round draft pick