Beaulieu with the Montreal Canadiens in January 2015
December 5, 1992 |
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|NHL Draft||17th overall, 2011
Nathan Anthony Richard Beaulieu (born December 5, 1992) is a Canadian ice hockey player who plays for the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected 17th overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by the Montreal Canadiens. Beaulieu helped the Sea Dogs capture the 2011 Memorial Cup, and was named to the tournament's all-star team.
Beaulieu was drafted by the Saint John Sea Dogs in the fourth round (68th overall) of the 2008 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) Midget Draft. When he started his career with the Sea Dogs in 2008, his father, Jacques was the team's head coach. His father was fired by the team and replaced with Gerard Gallant in 2009, an incident which caused Beaulieu to consider leaving the team. He decided to remain with Saint John after speaking with Gallant.
During the 2010–11 QMJHL season, Beaulieu established himself as a top prospect for the 2011 National Hockey League (NHL) Entry Draft, and was nominated for the Mike Bossy Trophy, awarded to the league's top professional prospect. He lost the award to Sean Couturier. Beaulieu was ranked fifth among North American skaters by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau in their final rankings, an improvement from his mid-season ranking of ninth. Saint John captured the QMJHL league championship and moved on to the 2011 Memorial Cup. Beaulieu scored the winning goal in the team's first game of the tournament against the host Mississauga Majors. The Sea Dogs met the Majors again in the championship game of the tournament and won 3-1, to capture the Memorial Cup. After the tournament, Beaulieu was named to the Memorial Cup All-Star Team. The Sea Dogs win was the second Memorial Cup win for the Beaulieu family, as Jacques was an assistant coach with the London Knights when they won in 2005.
Beaulieu is a two-way, puck moving defenseman with very good skating abilities. Offensively, he can get very creative with his good vision and skating. He has a good first pass. He also defends well and blocks shots. He's consistently growing as a leader and doesn't mind fighting from time to time. Beaulieu is also very inconsistent offensively, as he can get invisible for a game and then be very flashy for another. He doesn't produce a good amount of points and is not a very good finisher. His shot is average but can pull off a decent one-timer from the point. He also is very risky as he can cause bad turnovers when trying to get too fancy.
On April 27, 2013, Beaulieu, along with his father Jacques, were involved in an altercation in their hometown of Strathroy, Ontario. The incident in question took place following a charity golf tournament at a private residence and stemmed from property damages by the Beaulieus. As a result, two people were assaulted and suffered minor injuries.
In August 2013, Beaulieu and his father pleaded guilty to assault. Each was assessed penalties of conditional discharges with nine months' probation—a joint recommendation from the Crown and the defence.
Beaulieu in January 2012
|World Junior Championships|
Regular season and playoffs
|2008–09||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||49||2||8||10||14||4||0||0||0||2|
|2009–10||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||66||12||33||45||40||21||4||12||16||22|
|2010–11||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||65||12||33||45||52||19||4||13||17||26|
|2011–12||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||53||11||41||52||100||17||4||11||15||32|
Awards and honours
|CHL Memorial Cup All-Star Team||2011|||
|QMJHL President's Cup Championship||2011, 2012|
|Memorial Cup Championship||2011|||
|IIHF World U20 Championship Bronze Medal||2012|
- "Nathan Beaulieu". Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- Klinkenberg, Marty (2011-05-23). "Beaulieu in pursuit of rare father/son accomplishment". Telegraph Journal. Canada East. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- Morreale, Mike G. (2011-03-22). "QMJHL Announces finalists for Golden Puck Awards". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- Beacon, Bill (2011-04-07). "Islanders, Rocket goalie among QMJHL award winners". The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Beaulieu, Nathan". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "MasterCard Memorial Cup Individual Award Winners". Canadian Hockey League. 2011-05-29. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Strathroy's Nathan Beaulieu part of Memorial Cup team". Strathroy Age Dispatch. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Montreal Canadiens send Nathan Beaulieu to Buffalo as teams sort out rosters ahead of expansion draft". nationalpost.com. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "Montreal Canadiens prospect, dad plead guilty to assault charges". Brantford Expositor. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Habs prospect Nathan Beaulieu pleads guilty to assault charges". CBS Sports. Retrieved November 13, 2016.
- "Canadiens prospect Nathan Beaulieu pleads guilty to assault". The Canadian Press. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "Memorial Cup All-Star Teams". Memorial Cup. 2012-03-04. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Nathan Beaulieu career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Nathan Beaulieu career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
|Montreal Canadiens first round draft pick