|• Total||203.58 km2 (78.60 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+6 (BST)|
Naria (Bengali: নড়িয়া) is an upazila of Shariatpur District in the Division of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Naria Thana was established in 1930 and was converted into an upazila in 1983. It is named after its administrative center, the town of Naria.
Naria Upazila has a total area of 203.58 square kilometres (78.60 sq mi). It borders Zajira Upazila to the west and north, Munshiganj District to the north, Bhedarganj Upazila to the east and south, and Shariatpur Sadar Upazila to the west. The Padma River flows through the northern part of the upazila.
Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics
According to the 2011 Bangladesh census, Naria Upazila had 49,615 households and a population of 231,644, 9.8% of whom lived in urban areas. 10.3% of the population was under the age of 5. The literacy rate (age 7 and over) was 50.8%, compared to the national average of 51.8%.Presently it is over 65%.
Naria Upazila is divided into Naria Municipality and 14 union parishads: Bhojeshwar, Bhumkhara, Bijhari, Chamta, Char Atra, Dingamanik, Fateh Jangapur, Gharisar, Japsa, Kedarpur, Muktarer Char, Nasason, Noapara, and Rajnagar. The union parishads are subdivided into 146 mauzas and 189 villages.
Naria Municipality is subdivided into 9 wards and 27 mahallas.
There are three degree colleges in the upazila. Naria Government College, Bhojeswar Upashi Govt College, Panditsar T.M Giasuddin College. Naria Govt. BL High School, Dogree Ismail Hossain High School & College, Nasason RI Senior Madrasa, Upshi Tara Prashanna High School,Shaheed Smriti College, Charatra Azizia High School & College, Kedarpur High School, Lonsing High School, Uttar Japsha Dakhil Madrasa, Mohishkhola High School, Shaheed Abdus Samad High School, Panchapalli High School, Mazid Jarina Foundation School & College ( Pioneer of the Modern Education of Shariatpur). Those are popular and well known educational Institutions of the Upzila.
The madrasa education system includes one fazil madrasa.
- Abdul Haque Faridi, Educator at Chittagong College, lecturer, Writer, Winner of Bangla Academy Award.
- "District Statistics 2011: Shariatpur" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 12, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- "Community Report: Shariatpur" (PDF). Population & Housing Census 2011. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2018-08-15.
- Rahman, Motiur (2012). "Naria Upazila". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Population and Housing Census 2011: Bangladesh at a Glance" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. June 2020. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 28, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "List of Institutions". Ministry of Education. Retrieved July 15, 2014.