南宁市 · Namzningz Si
Location of Nanning City jurisdiction in Guangxi
|Coordinates (Guangxi People's Government): Coordinates:|
|Municipal seat||Qingxiu District|
|• Type||Prefecture-level city|
|• Body||Nanning Municipal People's Congress|
|• CCP Secretary||Wang Xiaodong|
|• Congress Chairman||Feng Xuejun|
|• Mayor||Sun Daguang|
|• CPPCC Chairman||Du Wei|
|• Prefecture-level city||22,189 km2 (8,567 sq mi)|
|• Prefecture-level city||7,254,100|
|• Density||330/km2 (850/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
|ISO 3166 code||CN-GX-01|
|License plate prefixes||桂A|
|Literal meaning||"Southern tranquility"|
Nanning (Chinese: 南宁; pinyin: Nánníng; Zhuang: Namzningz) is the capital and largest city by population of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in Southern China. It is known as the "Green City" because of its abundance of lush subtropical foliage. Located in the South of Guangxi, Nanning is surrounded by a hilly basin, with a warm, monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate. As of 2018 sampling, Nanning had a population of 7,241,100, of which 4,417,600 live in the urban area and 3,839,800 live in its 6 suburban districts.
Beginning in 1949, Nanning's economy began developing beyond its former role as essentially a commercial and administrative centre, as it underwent sustained industrial growth. Today, Nanning is considered the economic, financial and cultural center of Guangxi, and the chief centre for the training of the Zhuang minority in Guangxi. The People's Park is located in the center of the city.
This section does not cite any sources. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nanning, an ancient city with a long history and rich culture, was part of Baiyue ethnic groups in the ancient time. In the first year of Daxing period of Eastern Jin Dynasty (AD 318), Jinxing County, established here as one of the county towns, ushered a history of 1700 years of Nanning organizational system. During the Zhenguan period of Tang dynasty (AD 632), it was renamed Yong prefecture (Yongzhou) and established Yongzhou government seat, which is why it has been called Yong for short. In the first year of Taiding period of Yuan dynasty (AD1318), Yongzhou was renamed Nanning, meaning the Pacified South.
Nanning was once the territory of the Baiyue people and became the capital of Jinxing Prefecture which was separated from Yulin Prefecture of the Eastern Jin Dynasty.
In 1076 during the Lý–Song War Yongshou was besieged by Lý forces. Under the leadership of Su Jian, the garrison held out for forty-two days before succumbing. The city was razed to the ground and its people massacred by Lý dynasty.
In the Yuan dynasty in 1324, it was renamed Nanning Lu (Nanning Circuit) of Yongzhou. Historically, Nanning was famous for trade, and had permanent business offices from other areas in China since the Song dynasty.
On 4 December 1949, Nanning was captured by the CPC; in January 1950, Nanning municipality was set up, and identified as the capital city of Guangxi on 8 February of the same year; in March 1958, the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region was established, and Nanning municipality was the capital city.
Nanning serves as host for the annual China-ASEAN EXPO (CASEAN EXPO) which began in 2004 and was the venue for the 2006 "World Robotics Olympiad".
|Name||Chinese||Hanyu Pinyin||Zhuang||Population (2010)||Area (km2)||Density (/km2)|
|Xingning District||兴宁区||Xīngníng Qū||Singhningz Gih||398,789||722.68||551.82|
|Qingxiu District||青秀区||Qīngxiù Qū||Cinghsiu Gih||709,721||865.27||820.23|
|Jiangnan District||���南区||Jiāngnán Qū||Gyanghnanz Gih||567,999||1,183.26||480.03|
|Xixiangtang District||西乡塘区||Xīxiāngtáng Qū||Sihsienghdangz Gih||1,153,305||1,076.00||1071.84|
|Liangqing District||良庆区||Liángqìng Qū||Liengzcing Gih||344,768||1,368.88||251.86|
|Yongning District||邕宁区||Yōngníng Qū||Yunghningz Gih||259,721||1,230.73||211.03|
|Wuming District||武鸣区||Wǔmíng Qū||Vujmingz Gih||544,478||3,388.91||160.66|
|Long'an County||隆安县||Lóng'ān Xiàn||Lungzanh Yen||300,215||2,305.59||130.21|
|Mashan County||马山县||Mǎshān Xiàn||Majsanh Yen||390,900||2,340.76||167.00|
|Shanglin County||上林县||Shànglín Xiàn||Sanglinz Yen||343,590||1,871.00||183.64|
|Binyang County||宾阳县||Bīnyáng Xiàn||Binhyangz Yen||782,255||2,298.17||340.38|
|Heng County||横县||Héng Xiàn||Hwngz Yen||863,001||3,448.06||250.29|
- Nanning High-Tech Business DZ (南宁高新技术产业开发区)
- Nanning Economic and technology DZ (南宁经济技术开发区)
- Nanning Overseas Chinese Investment Zone (南宁华侨投资区)
- Nanning Qingxiu Mountain Resort/ Tourism Area (南宁青秀山风景名胜旅游区)
- Nanning Xiangsi Lake New Area (南宁相思湖新区)
- Nanning Liujing Industrial Park (南宁六景工业园区)
Nanning is home of the 21st tallest building in the People's Republic of China, the Diwang International Commerce Center, at 276 m (906 ft), currently the tallest building in Guangxi and southwestern China (excluding Chongqing). The second tallest building in Nanning is the World Trade Commerce City at 218 meters. The city currently has seven buildings taller than 100 m (330 ft), built or under construction.
Nanning has many parks with tropical lush green landscape, it is one of the "greenest" cities in China, and it's known as "Green City"(绿城). Nanning's downtown skyline is rapidly changing and the city is becoming an important hub in China.
Recently, the government has begun a citywide beautification plan which aimed to further clean up the city and improve its image. This involved curtailing the number of street-side food vendors operating without proper licenses and restricting parking in busy streets. The program has achieved initial success, long-term efforts are still needed to deliver lasting results.
Foreign exports in 2007 were US$10 billion. Foreign fixed asset investment was 34.3 billion RMB. Nanning has six development zones and industrial parks, three of which accounted for 6 billion RMB of Nanning's GDP, more than 8 percent of Nanning's total.
Mineral resources include gold, iron, manganese, aluminum, quartz, silver, indium, coal, marble, and granite. One third of China's different types of mineral resources are found in Nanning.
- Guilin High-tech Industrial Development Zone
- Nanning Economic & Technological Development Area
Nanning Metro system is known for its Nanning Rail Transit (NNRT), expected to comprise a total of nine lines. The first was completed and put into operation in June 2016, the second begin operation in December 2017, while lines 3 and 4 are now under construction. Line 1 connects the East and West of Nanning, linking the financial and political center and the academic and research center of Nanning.
Stations of Line 1 from the West to East are: SHIBU - Nanning College for Vacational Technology - PENGFEI LU - XIXIANGTANG Coach Station - Guangxi University for Nationalities - QINGCHUAN - Nanning Zoo - LUBAN LU - Guangxi University - BAICANGLING - Nanning Railway Station - CHAOYANG Square - XINMIN LU - MINZU Square - MACUN - NANHU - JINHU Square - Convention & Exhibition Center - WANXIANGCHENG - ASEAN Business District - FENGLING -!LANGDON Coach Station - BAIHUALING - FOZILING - Nanning East Railway Station.
Nanning has two major railway stations: Nanning railway station and Nanning East railway station. The latter one is newer and also the main destination of high-speed trains. A third, Nanning North railway station, is set to open in 2023 with the Guiyang–Nanning high-speed railway.
Nanning railway station is a railway junction for the Nanning–Kunming, Nanning–Guangzhou and Hunan–Guangxi Railways. There are also plans to build a high-speed railway to Pingxiang on the Vietnamese border. The goal is to better integrate Pan-Pearl River Delta and southeast China with members of the ASEAN.
Guangxi is also a conjunction of Guangzhou-Guiyang Highspeed Rail.
- China National Highway 210
- China National Highway 322
- China National Highway 324
- China National Highway 325
- G72 Quanzhou–Nanning Expressway
- G7201 Nanning Ring Expressway
- G7211 Nanning–Youyiguan Expressway
- G75 Lanzhou–Haikou Expressway
- G80 Guangzhou–Kunming Expressway
Flora and fauna
Nanning's warm climate gives it a large amount of biodiversity. There are many species of animals and more than 3,000 species of plants. The city flower is the Jaba flower, an evergreen shrub, and the city tree is the almond tree which is regarded as the backbone tree used for greening and landscaping throughout the city.
Nanning is situated in a hilly basin with elevations between 70 and 500 m (230 and 1,640 ft) above sea-level. Qingxiu Mountain dominates the southern part of town.
Nanning has a warm, monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate (Köppen Cwa), with an annual mean temperature of 21.83 °C (71.3 °F). Summers are hot and humid with July, the hottest month, having a 24-hour average temperature of 28.4 °C (83.1 °F). Winters are mild and somewhat damp with January, the coolest month, averaging 12.9 °C (55.2 °F). From February to August, rain is most frequent and relative humidity consistently averages above 80 percent; the annual rainfall is 1,290 millimetres (50.8 in). The area is also frost-free for all but 3 or 4 days a year and snowfall is virtually unheard of in the city, with a unique exception since 1900: in December 1975 snow fell on the city albeit without sticking to the ground. Extreme temperatures have ranged from −2.1 to 40.4 °C (28 to 105 °F). With monthly percent possible sunshine ranging from 17 percent in March to 51 percent in September, the city receives 1,585 hours of bright sunshine annually.
|Climate data for Nanning (1981−2010 normals, extremes 1951−2010)|
|Record high °C (°F)||32.6
|Average high °C (°F)||17.2
|Daily mean °C (°F)||12.9
|Average low °C (°F)||10.0
|Record low °C (°F)||−2.1
|Average rainfall mm (inches)||38.6
|Average rainy days (≥ 0.1 mm)||11.1||13.2||13.8||13.6||16.6||16.3||16.8||16.2||10.5||8.5||6.8||5.9||149.3|
|Average relative humidity (%)||77||81||81||80||80||82||82||81||78||75||74||73||79|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||69.6||56.7||61.8||91.4||144.0||161.1||196.8||186.1||185.6||163.7||144.2||123.7||1,584.7|
|Percent possible sunshine||21||18||17||24||35||40||48||47||51||46||44||37||36|
|Source: China Meteorological Administration (precipitation days, sun 1971–2000), all-time extreme temperature|
Twin towns – sister cities
- Antananarivo, Madagascar (2015)
- Banjul, Gambia (1987)
- Bogor, Indonesia (2008)
- Bundaberg, Australia (1998)
- Champasak, Laos (2010)
- Commerce City, United States (2009)
- Crema, Italy (2016)
- Davao City, Philippines (2007)
- Grudziądz, Poland (2011)
- Gwacheon, South Korea (2005)
- Haiphong, Vietnam (2006)
- Iquique, Chile (2008)
- Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine (2019)
- Khon Kaen, Thailand (2002)
- Klagenfurt, Austria (2002)
- Lilongwe, Malawi (2011)
- Provo, United States (2000)
- Sihanoukville, Cambodia (2007)
- Val-de-Marne, France (2008)
- Yangon, Myanmar (2009)
At 2010 census, the total population of Nanning was 6,611,600, among which 2,875,220 were urban residents (after the adjustment of administrative divisions) and 2,480,340 in the built up area made of 5 out of 6 urban districts.[full citation needed] Nanning is a city in which Zhuang ethnic group live in compact communities. Thirty-five ethnic groups live in compact communities in Nanning, including people of Zhuang, Han, Yao, Hui, Miao, Dong, and Man minorities.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nanning is the center of science and technology, education, culture and health in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. There are altogether 54 scientific research institutes subordinate to districts. 10 colleges and 50 trade schools are training specialised personnel of all kinds. Now there are 62 mass cultural organizations, 13 performing groups, 8 cinemas, 285 projecting units, over 70 karaoke halls and over 1000 newsstands. Bookshops and cultural markets can be found everywhere.
Nanning has not only local cuisine but also food from other areas of China and abroad. Traditional food culture can be found around most streets of Nanning. Nanning food shares the style of Cantonese food and of Southeast Asia. Chinese cuisine including Guangdong, Sichuan, Hunan and Jiangsu as well as Japanese, Thai and Western cuisines can be found.
Rice noodles are very popular among the Nanning people. Laoyou rice noodles are the most famous, while other noodle dishes such as Guilin rice noodles and hand made noodles can be found. Laoyou rice noodles (means old friend rice noodles) are made of fry up pepper, sour bamboo shoots, black beans and garlic, then pork, and then soup and rice noodles. The sour-spicy tasting noodles are a very popular and cheap favorite street food for all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) in Nanning.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Nanning.|
Other places of interest include Nanhu Park, Shishan Park and Nanning Zoo.
Colleges and universities
- Nanning University (南宁学院)
- Nanning Normal University (南宁师范大学)
- Guangxi University (广西大学)
- Guangxi Arts College(广西艺术学院)
- Guangxi Medical University(广西医科大学)
- Guangxi University for Nationalities(广西民族大学)
- Guangxi University of Chinese Medicine (广西中医药大学)
- Guangxi University of Finance and Economics(广西财经学院)
Note: Institutions without full-time bachelor programs are not listed.
- "Illuminating China's Provinces, Municipalities and Autonomous Regions". PRC Central Government Official Website. Archived from the original on 19 June 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "China: Guăngxī (Prefectures, Cities, Districts and Counties) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map".
- "Nanning | China". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- According to the table on List of tallest buildings in the People's Republic of China
- Huang, Yanmei (黄艳梅); Yang, Zhixiong (杨志雄) (25 March 2008). 2007南宁市GDP总量首次突破一千亿元人民币. 中新广西网 (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 23 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015 – via Xinhua Guangxi.
- "High-speed railway to boost trade". Archived from the original on 22 January 2011. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "China starts construction of Nanning-Guangzhou high-speed rail line". Xinhua. 9 November 2008. Archived from the original on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- Nanning train schedule Archived 2 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine (in Chinese)
- 广西再开通运营9对动车组 陈武宣布高铁开通 [Guangxi opens new CRH service, with 9 pairs of train a day. Chen Wu announces the opening of high-speed service]. huochepiao.com. 31 December 2013. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- 南宁市 (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 10 June 2008. Retrieved 11 June 2008.
- "Extreme Temperatures Around the World". Archived from the original on 3 June 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- 中国气象局 国家气象信息中心 (in Chinese). China Meteorological Administration. Archived from the original on 16 July 2009. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "Index" 中国气象数据网 - WeatherBk Data. China Meteorological Administration. Archived from the original on 23 September 2017. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "南宁市国际友城名单及分布图". nanning.gov.cn (in Chinese). Nanning. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- "Перелік партнерських міст Івано-Франківська" (PDF). mvk.if.ua (in Ukrainian). Ivano-Frankivsk. 1 September 2019. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- 南宁市2010年第六次全国人口普查主要数据公报 (in Chinese). Nanning Bureau of Statistics [南宁市统计局]. 6 July 2011. Missing or empty
- China's Southwest. Lonely Planet. 2007. p. 192. ISBN 978-1-74104-185-9. Archived from the original on 7 July 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Ancient Town of Yangmei". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nanning.|