The NOPO (Persian: نوپو) officially standing for Counter-terrorism Special Force (Persian: نیروی ویژه پاد وحشت), is an Iranian special force acting under Amīr al-Mu'minīn Unit of Special Units Command of Law Enforcement Force of Islamic Republic of Iran.
NOPO's duty is usually mentioned hostage rescue, but it is argued that the unit is a riot police, as it was involved in Iran student protests, July 1999 according to a report by Supreme National Security Council.
The unit has been compared to the Army's NOHED and IRGC's Saberin Unit by its commanders, however there is little known about the unit. The NOPO is also often confused with the "Special Unit", which is actually its parent organization, and there are many rumors surrounding the unit itself.
The NOPO acronym had been claimed to be an acronym for "Wilayat Guardian Special Force" (Persian: نیروی ویژه پاسدار ولایت) by reformist media in late 1990s; the association was denied. Members of the unit are known to be wearing balaclava and black suits, though they may use another uniform.
The operational history of the Anti-Terror Special Forces includes deployments against internal security threats: in 1998, the Anti-Terror Special Force was involved in the quelling of students' protests; according to sources opposed to the Islamic Republic of Iran, and in 2014 the NOPO were deployed against Bakhtiari community protests.
NOPO have reportedly been employed in 2016 in dealing with an ISIS Commando in Kermanshah. According to the Daily Mail, during the 2017 Tehran attacks the anti-terror police exchanged fire with ISIL commandos.
- Hossein Bastani (24 June 2014), Myth and Reality About NOPO Operations in Iran (in Persian), BBC, retrieved 28 September 2015
- Hunter, Shireen T. (2010). Iran's foreign policy in the post-Soviet era : resisting the new international order. Santa Barbara, Calif.: Praeger. p. 55. ISBN 9780313381942.
- "Maryam Rajavi: Insults to Bakhtiaris is an insult to all Iranians". National Council of Resistance of Iran. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- "Elite forces of Iranian police "NOPO" killed 3 ISIS terrorist in the town of Kermanshah - Lenziran / Video news & reports about Iran in video format". Lenziran. 4 September 2016. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Jay, Akbar; David, Burke; David, Martokso (8 June 2017). "The moment ISIS terrorists storm Iran's parliament". Daily Mail Online. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
|This Iran-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|