This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
MusicMight (formerly RockDetector) is a rock music website which provides artist and product information through a global website and an ongoing book series. Based in New Zealand, the site was founded by British writer Garry Sharpe-Young, and was backed by a small team of international writers who contribute to the site.
The database covers many styles and ages of rock music, such as thrash metal, black metal, death metal, radio rock and nu metal. As of December 2007, the database had over 59,400+ bands listed. The site includes over 92,000 releases in the database and almost 659,000 songs. The site also has an international concert guide of over 300,000 concerts, archiving from 1965. The site also features extensive and unique band biographies, many of which are the result of direct, first-hand interviews with band members conducted by Sharpe-Young during his many years as a heavy metal journalist.
Additional features include extensive discographies, pictures of the bands, their logos and their albums covers, upcoming concerts and album reviews.
The site went without updates for some time, bearing a message that a new expanded version of Rockdetector is on its way. On 1 September 2008 the site started after more than one year of re-programming and testing with an improved concept, layout and a re-designed database under the new name Musicmight.com with 60,000 artists and 144,000 persons included in the database.
Garry Sharpe-Young died in March 2010. Site development, expansion and data additions have since halted, and the site was later taken down.
|March 2005||30 000|
|26 October 2006||50 000|
|July 2007||56 500||-||89 500||638 500|
|December 2007||59 400||-||92 000||659 000|
|September 2008||60 000||144 012||-||-|
|4 October 2008||60 774||145 825||-||-|
|15 March 2009||67 186||156 205 ||-||-|
|9 June 2009||70 814 ||-||-|
|11 February 2010||208 562||216 645||-||-|
- Black Metal - September 2001
- Death Metal - September 2001
- Ozzy Osbourne - February 2002
- Thrash Metal - October 2002
- Power Metal - February 2003
- Doom, Gothic & Stoner Metal - February 2003
- 80s Rock - July 2003
- Black Sabbath - Never Say Die - 2004
- New Wave of American Heavy Metal - November 2005
- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - The Battle For Black Sabbath - August 2006
- Thrash Metal - Amended - October 2007
- Death Metal - Amended - April 2008
- Roadrunnerrecords.com Archived 2012-04-27 at WebCite
- "ROCKDETECTOR Reaches 30,000-Band Landmark Tally - Mar. 5, 2005". Blabbermouth. Archived from the original on 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- "ROCKDETECTOR: 50,000 Bands And Counting - Oct. 29, 2006". Blabbermouth. Archived from the original on 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- "Person counter". Musicmight.com. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- "Artist counter". Musicmight.com. 2009-04-24. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- Official website
- Coleman, Jennifer (2006-10-26). "www.rockdetector.com hits 50,000 bands". World Metal News. Bloodstock Open Air. Archived from the original on 2007-06-02. Retrieved 2007-09-30.
- "Garry Sharpe-Young of Rockdetector.com". Metal-Rules.com. Retrieved 2007-09-30.
- "Rockdetector: A to Z of Death Metal; Garry Sharpe-Young". Cherry Red Books. Archived from the original on 2007-02-10. Retrieved 2007-09-30.