Mujahid-e Millat, Allama
Shah Muhibbullah Babunagari
Babunagari in 2020
|Chief advisor, Hefazat-e-Islam Bangladesh|
|Assumed office |
15 November 2020
|Chancellor, Al-Jamiatul Islamiah Azizul Uloom Babunagar|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Harun Babunagari|
|Vice President, Islami Oikya Jote|
|Main interest(s)||Hadith, Fiqh, Tasawwuf, Tafsir, Politics, Islamic Movement|
|Relatives||Junaid Babunagari (Nephew)|
Muhibbullah Babunagari (Bengali: মুহিব্বুল্লাহ বাবুনগরী, born February 1935) is a Bangladeshi Deobandi Islamic scholar, politician, religious speaker and social reformer. He is the key person and Chief Advisor of Hefazat-e-Islam Bangladesh and Chancellor of Al-Jamiatul Islamiah Azizul Uloom Babunagar. In 2018, he resigned as vice president of Islami Oikya Jote. He is considered as one of the prominent leaders of the Deoband movement in Bangladesh. He has always taken a strong stand against Atheists, Secularists and Anti-Islamists. He is also in the leadership of several national and regional organizations.
Name and lineage
Babungari was born in 1935 in an aristocratic Muslim family in Babungar village of Daulatpur union under Fatikchhari upazila, Chittagong. His father Harun Babungari was a renowned Islamic scholar and the founder of Al-Jamiatul Islamiah Azizul Uloom Babunagar.
He completed his primary and secondary education at Al-Jamiatul Islamiah Azizul Uloom Babunagar and higher secondary at Al-Jamiatul Ahlia Darul Ulum Moinul Islam. Then he went to Darul Uloom Deoband for higher studies and in 1959 he completed Masters in Hadith.
In Deoband, he took the last lesson of Hidayah Akherain from Hussain Ahmed Madani. He studied Sahih al-Bukhari under Syed Fakhruddin Ahmad, Sahih Muslim and Jami' al-Tirmidhi under Ibrahim Baliavi, Sunan Abu Dawood under Fakhrul Hasan, and studied Muwatta of Malik ibn Anas in the narration of Muhammad al-Shaybani under Zahir Ahmad.
After returning home from Darul Uloom Deoband, he was appointed a teacher in Al-Jamiatul Islamiah Azizul Uloom Babunagar under the supervision of his father Harun Babungari. Later, on the advice of Harun Babungari, Muhammad Musa, Sufi Abdul Jabbar and Abdul Haq, he was appointed the Chancellor of Al-Jamiatul Islamiah Azizul Uloom Babunagar.
He was a Presidium member of Islami Andolan Bangladesh during the lifetime of Charmonai Pir Fazlul Karim. During the lifetime of Fazlul Haque Amini, he was associated with Islami Oikya Jote and Islamic Law Implementation Committee. Later he was elected vice-president of Islami Oikya Jote. He resigned from Islami Oikya Jote in 2018. Currently, he isn't directly associated with any political party.
In family life, he is the father of 3 sons and 6 daughters.
- Salehi, Asgar (2019-10-31). "Short biography of Shah Muhibbullah Babunagari". Qowmipedia (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-10-26.
- Salehi, Asghar (2019-10-31). "Short biography of Allama Shah Muhibbullah Babunagari". QOWMIPEDIA (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Shakil, Salman Tareq (19 September 2020). "In Hefazat, Befaq and Hayatul Ulaya who is the successor of Shafi?". Bangla Tribune (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Aladin, Anwar (15 November 2020). "Hefazat is being broken into two! | National". Ittefaq. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Report, Desk (20 September 2020). "Allama Muhibbullah Babungari is the Amir of Hefazat!". Amader Shomoy. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- "Who is the Amir of Hefazat?". Daily Manobkantha (in Bengali). 20 September 2020. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Azad, Abu (19 June 2020). "Allama Shafi and Babungari talking about Nazirhat Madrasa". jagonews24.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Reporter, Samakal (8 October 2018). "Babungari resigns from Jote at the instigation of Jamaat". Samakal (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Report, Ittefaq (6 May 2020). "The country's top scholars thanked the government for opening the mosque | National". ittefaq. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Desk, Inqilab (16 July 2020). "Dua held at Barakatara Madrasa for Allama Shah Muhibullah Babungari's recovery". DailyInqilabOnline. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- "Shapla Chattar genocide will be tried in this country one day - Allama Shah Muhibullah Babungari". The Daily Sangram. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Bureau, Chittagong. "'I am not with secularist Awami agents': Muhibullah Babungari leaves Islami Okya Jote". DailyInqilabOnline (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-11-26.