Hrezi at the 2016 Olympics
|Born||28 October 1991 (age 28)|
Naugatuck, Connecticut, U.S.
|Alma mater||Iowa State University|
Michigan State University
|Event(s)||5000 meters, 10,000 meters, marathon|
|Coached by||Kevin Hanson|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||5000m: 13:42.80 |
Mohamed Fuad "Mo" Hrezi (born 28 October 1991) is a Libyan marathon runner. He competed at the 2016 Summer Olympics in the marathon and finished in 77th place with a time of 2:21:17. He was the flag bearer for Libya at the Parade of Nations. Hrezi was born and raised in the United States; he qualified to compete for Libya through dual citizenship.
Hrezi took up cross country running in eighth grade because it was the only sport available. By the time he graduated from Naugatuck High School, he recorded 1:55.45 for 800 meters and 4:28.35 for the mile. After high school, he was a successful distance runner at Iowa State University, and ran 28:51.88 in the men's 10,000 meters at the 2014 Stanford Invitational, finishing in 20th place in a deep field.
After graduating from Iowa State, Hrezi joined the Hansons Brooks racing team from Rochester, Michigan, where he began marathon training. He fulfilled the Olympic standard for the men's marathon at the 2016 Ottawa Race Weekend, finishing seventh in a time of 2:18:40. He earned $2,000 in prize money for the performance. Ramadan started shortly after his breakthrough at Ottawa, and Hrezi fasted while running 100 miles per week in preparation for the Olympics. Since the fast was practiced during daylight, Hrezi did his workouts between 1:30 and 4 in the morning for the duration of Ramadan that year.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mohamed Hrezi.|
- IAAF. "IAAF: Mohamed HREZI - Athlete Profile". Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "Mohamed Hrezi". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 21 August 2016. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Men's Marathon – Standings". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 21 August 2016. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony – Flag Bearers" (PDF). International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
-  Athletic.net: Mohammed Hrezi Track & Field Profile
- "Record Timing - Record Data - RT Race Timing: Stanford Invitational - 4/4/2014 - 4/5/2014". 5 April 2014. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
-  Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend - May 29, 2016. Accessed August 31, 2018.
- Joe Palladino (6 July 2016). "Citizen's News: Naugy grad runs down spot in Olympics". Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- Jack Baronner (28 June 2016). "Runner's World: A Marathoner Prepares for Rio During Ramadan". Retrieved 31 August 2018.
Sofyan El Gadi
| Flagbearer for Libya
2016 Rio de Janeiro
|This biographical article relating to Libyan athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|