Miriam Cutler is an American composer best known for her documentary film work.
Life and career
Cutler is a Los Angeles-based film composer, scoring and performing music for over 20 years. She began her musical career as songwriter and clarinet player with The New Miss Alice Stone Ladies Society Orchestra; she then joined the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo as a clarinetist, and later founded the group Swingstreet. Due to her love of jazz, she has co-produced albums by the likes of Joe Williams, Nina Simone, Marlena Shaw, and Shirley Horn. Cutler has served on a number of film festival juries including the first-ever World Cinema Documentary category at Sundance, The Film Independent Spirit Awards, The International Documentary Association Awards, and the AFI Film Festival Awards. She is a long-term board member of the Society of Composers & Lyricists and has served as an advisor in the Sundance Institute's Composers Lab since 2003. She currently serves on the Executive Committee of the Motion Picture Academy Documentary Branch and the Executive Committee of the TV Academy Music Branch.
On June 26, 2013, Cutler was voted into the Documentary Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
In 2017, Cutler was inducted into the John Muir High School (Pasadena, CA) distinguished alumni Hall of Fame.
Awards and nominations
|2019||Nominated||Prime Time Emmy Award||Original Score – Documentary||Love, Gilda|
|2019||Nominated||Prime Time Emmy Award||Original Score – Documentary||RBG|
|2018||Nominated||HMMA||Original Score – Documentary|
|2015||Won||HMMA||Original Score – Documentary||The Hunting Ground|
|2012||Nominated||News & Documentary Emmy Award||Outstanding Individual Achievement in a Craft: Music and Sound||The Desert of Forbidden Art|
- "Iamyours.com". Archived from the original on 2018-07-03. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- Film School Rejects interview
- Miriam Cutler's Official Website
- Circus Flora - Miriam Cutler, retrieved 2020-07-10
- Burlingame, Jon (2019-03-03). "Starr Parodi Named President of the Alliance for Women Film Composers". Variety. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- Greiving, Tim (2019-01-10). "Female Composers Are Trying to Break Film's Sound Barrier". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "John Muir High School Alumni Association - Hall of Fame". www.johnmuiralumni.org. Retrieved 2020-07-10.
- "Outstanding Music Composition For A Documentary Series Or Special Nominees / Winners 2019". Television Academy. Retrieved 2020-07-10.
- "Complete list of 2018 HMMA Music In Visual Media Nominations". hmmawards.com. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "2015 HMMA Winners". hmmawards.com. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- Nominees for the 33rd Annual News & Documentary Awards Archived 2013-06-02 at the Wayback Machine