Logo of Ministry
|Formed||22 of Marth, 1990|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Lithuania|
|Headquarters||Gedimino av. 17, Vilnius, Lithuania|
Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania is the main institution in Lithuania, which coordinates the work of road, rail, air, water, transport, postal and electronic communications sector and implements the strategy and politics of state government. The Ministry of Transport and Communications shall be a budgetary institution financed from the State budget of the Republic of Lithuania.
When Lithuania regained its independence the new Government was formed on 22 March 1990, and the Ministry of Transport and Communications was re-established as well. From the very first days of its activities the most important tasks of the Ministry included taking over of the transport sector from the subordination of all-union ministries, creation of new transport strategy and legal system, integration of the Lithuanian transport sector into the European transport network.
Role and responsibilities
The Ministry seeks:
- to fulfil the requirements of European Union legislation in the areas of transport, post and electronic communications;
- to modernize the transport infrastructure;
- to integrate the main highways of the country into the trans-European networks;
- to enable the development of transport business, transparent competition;
- to improve transport and communication service quality;
- to promote multimodal transport, logistics centers, public setting;
- to coordinate activities in the areas of transport, post and electronic communications;
- to take part in the development of the traffic safety policy for all modes of transport;
- to take part in the development of the policy on the reduction of negative environmental impacts of transport areas.
The most important transport and communication infrastructure development projects
Rail Baltica is one of the priority projects of the European Union Trans-European Transport Networks (TEN-T).European gauge railway is going to link Helsinki and Tallinn, Riga, Kaunas and Warsaw. The project is funded by the European Union's TEN-T, the Cohesion Fund and the Lithuanian State, started in 2010.
Via Baltica is known as a part of the European route E67 between Warsaw and Tallinn. International Via Baltica project is helping to create better traffic conditions between the Central, Western Europe and Baltic countries.
RAIN – the project of developing the broadband Internet in all rural areas of the country. This project will be completed in 2013. The project goal is to provide broadband access to all rural districts of public administrations, hospitals, laboratories, schools, museums, libraries, public Internet access points.
MEZON 4G Internet, acting on the basis of advanced wireless technologies, providing extremely high speed (download speed - up to 10 Mbit/s). MEZON Internet operates in 53 cities and towns, it is available for about 60 percent of Lithuania's population. It is planned next year to allow MEZON mobile Internet access across the densely populated territory of Lithuania.
Dredging of Klaipėda state sea port basin, construction and reconstruction of embankments (2004–2010), improving facilities of freight and passenger service.
Reconstruction of Sventoji Port. Started in 2010. The port is going to maintain recreational, small, sport, fishing boats, small sea cruise and passenger ships.
Construction of deep-water port in Klaipėda (planned).
Reconstruction of Railway tunnel in Kaunas (2008)
Modernization of Kena border railway statio (2008)
Institutions under the Ministry of Transport and Communications
- State Road Transport Inspectorate
- State Railway Inspectorate
- Lithuanian Road Administration
- Directorate of border crossing infrastructure
- Information Society Development Committee
Institutions and Enterprises under the regulation of the Ministry
- Vilnius International Airport
- Kaunas Airport
- Palanga International Airport
- SE Air Navigation
- SE Inland Waterways Authority
- Klaipėda State Seaport
- SE Railway Design
- PC Aukstaitijos siaurasis gelezinkelis
- SC Problematika
- SE Transport and Road Research Institute
- SC Lithuanian Post
- The State of inland navigation office
- Transport Investment Directorate
- PI "Placiajuostis internetas"
- Civil Aviation Administration
- The Lithuanian Maritime Safety Administration
- AB "Lithuanian Railways"
- JSC "Gelezinkelio apsaugos zeldiniai"
- JSC "Smiltynes perkela"
- JSC "Detonas"
- SE Lithuanian Radio and Television Centre
- JSC "Lithuanian Shipping Company"
REGULATIONS OF THE MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATIONS OF THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA.