|Кыргыз Республикасынын Коргоо министрлиги|
Министерство обороны Кыргызской Республики
Emblem of the Ministry of Defense
A monument near the Ministry of Defence for Kyrgyz soldiers who fought in the Batken Conflict with the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan.
|Formed||13 January 1992|
|Jurisdiction||Armed Forces of Kyrgyzstan|
|Headquarters||Kiev-Logvinenko Street, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan|
|Parent department||Government of Kyrgyzstan|
The State Committee for Defense Affairs (Kyrgyz: Кыргыз Республикасынын Коргоо иштери боюнча мамлекеттик комитети, КР КИБМК, Russian: Государственного комитета по делам обороны Кыргызской Республики, ГКДO КР), also informally known as the Ministry of Defense of the Kyrgyz Republic (Kyrgyz: Кыргыз Республикасынын Коргоо министрлиги, Russian: Министерство обороны Кыргызской Республики) is the main executive body responsible for the Armed Forces of Kyrgyzstan, having the authority to is responsible for the readiness of the military command and control bodies in its ranks. In accordance with legislation connected to the armed forces. The current Minister of Defense is Colonel Erlis Terdikbayev.
The Ministry was formed from the headquarters of the 17th Army Corps, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991-92. Originally, it was named the State Defense Committee, by order of President Askar Akayev on January 13, 1992. In 1993, the State Defense Committee was renamed to the Ministry of Defense of the Kyrgyz Republic. In November 2015, the Ministry of Defense was renamed the State Committee for Defense Affairs.
The committee is at present, responsible for organizing the Armed Forces of Kyrgyzstan, which is done through the following actions:
- Reporting to the President and Government of Kyrgyzstan on the status of the armed forces
- Carrying out public military policy implemented by the government
- Management, oversight, and execution of military activities
- Administration of all institutions related to the military through the Chief of the General Staff
- Equipping the different service branches of the armed forces with the latest in military technology
In February 2014, the powers of the General Staff was expanded to give the Chief of General Staff the authority to have complete control over the armed forces. The Ministry of Defense's functions, on the other hand, were largely reduced, leaving its comprehensive support of the military as its mandate. In a 2015 military reform, the two departments became completely independent, with the chairman of the State Committee on Defense Affairs effectively being subordinated to the Chief of General Staff.
- Chairman of the State Committee for Defense Affairs – Erlis Terdikbayev
- Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Defense Affairs – Akylbek Ibraev
- Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Defense Affairs – Nurseit Kedeev
- Chief of the General Staff – Rayimberdi Duishenbiev
List of leaders
|Took office||Left office||Duration|
|Minister of Defense|
|13 January 1992||17 December 1993||1 year, 338 days|
|17 December 1993||29 August 1999||5 years, 255 days|
|29 August 1999||24 March 2005||5 years, 207 days|
|24 March 2005||September 2005||5 months|
|September 2005||26 May 2008||2 years, 8 months|
|26 May 2008||7 April 2010||1 year, 316 days|
|7 April 2010||20 July 2010||104 days|
|20 July 2010||26 December 2011||1 year, 159 days|
|26 December 2011||4 April 2014||2 years, 99 days|
|4 April 2014||12 October 2015||1 year, 191 days|
|Chairmen of the State Committee for Defense Affairs|
(Председатель К��митета по делам обороны Киргизской Республики)
|14 March 2017||21 April 2018||1 year, 38 days|
|21 April 2018||Incumbent||1 year, 309 days|
- "The Ministry of Defense of the Kyrgyz Republic (hereinafter referred to as the Ministry of Defense) is the central executive body directly responsible for the Armed Forces and other military formations of the Kyrgyz Republic (hereinafter referred to as the Armed Forces), is responsible for the combat readiness and readiness of the military command and control bodies of the Ministry of Defense to Fulfillment of tasks on armed protection of the Kyrgyz Republic. In accordance with the legislation of the Kyrgyz Republic, the Ministry of Defense is designed to ensure reliable protection of state sovereignty, territorial integrity, constitutional order, society and citizens of the Kyrgyz Republic and fulfillment of obligations in accordance with international treaties that have entered into force in accordance with the law,". Archived from the original on 2014-07-24.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Указ Президента Кыргызстана "Об образовании Государственного комитета Республики Кыргызстан по делам обороны"". www.minjust.gov.kg. 2000-10-08. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "«В Кыргызстане создан Генеральный штаб вооруженных сил»". www.vesti.kg. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "Начальник Генерального штаба Вооруженных Сил КР - Министерство обороны Кыргызской Республики". 2014-07-24. Archived from the original on 2014-07-24. Retrieved 2017-07-26.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Toktomushev, Kemel (2016-10-04). Kyrgyzstan - Regime Security and Foreign Policy. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 9781315533483.