This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mindil Beach is a beach in the Northern Territory of Australia located in the suburb of The Gardens located near Darwin's central business district. Mindil Beach holds the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets, which runs during the dry season (from May until October) of every year. These markets are popular with both the locals and tourists alike and can attract thousands of people..
When George Goyder surveyed the town of Palmerston, as Darwin was originally known, the name ‘Mindil’ was given and written on maps to the swamp which was behind the town blocks. Rapidly this name came to be applied to the beach in front of the swamp, eventually becoming known as Mindil Beach.
The Darwin beer-can regatta is held at Mindil Beach annually which has been running since 16 June 1974 when it was won by Kevin Jaques driving a tunnel hull "Pistol Knight" on behalf of the Darwin Power Boat Club.
Mindil Beach Sunset Markets
Mindil Beach Sunset Markets are a seasonal market which is held at Mindil Beach. The markets originally started in the Darwin Mall in 1987. The shopkeepers here complained to the Council about loss of trade, thus causing the markets to move to Mindil Beach. The markets run from the last Thursday in April to the last Thursday in October.
The Mindil markets today consists of 60 food and 130 craft stalls that regularly attend, plus other stalls that obtain a permit to trade for one night.
- "Place Names Register Extract for "Mindil Beach"". NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- "Mindil Beach Sunset Markets". Tourism NT. Travel NT. Retrieved 27 July 2008.
- "National Museum of Australia - Audio on demand - A market for memories: understanding public history at the Mindil Beach site in Darwin". www.nma.gov.au. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- "History". Darwin Lions Club. Archived from the original on 19 July 2008. Retrieved 27 July 2008.
- "History". www.mindil.com.au. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- "About Us". Mindil Beach Sunset Markets. Archived from the original on 18 July 2008. Retrieved 27 July 2008.
- "Stalls". www.mindil.com.au. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
|This Northern Territory geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|