Milton H. Bren
|Born||June 14, 1904|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Died||December 14, 1979 (aged 75)|
Orange, California, U.S.
real estate developer
|Spouse(s)||Marion Newbert (1930-1948; divorced; 2 sons)|
Claire Trevor (1948-1979; his death)
Milton H. Bren (June 14, 1904 – December 14, 1979) was a Hollywood movie producer and real estate developer.
Bren was born in Los Angeles in 1904 to a Jewish family, the son of Sadie (née Simon) and Harry Bren. He first worked as a talent agent. In 1937, he accepted a job at Hal Roach Studios as an associate producer where he produced the film Topper, the studio's first feature film, which was wildly successful. In 1938, he was elevated to producer. In March 1939, he accepted a job at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as a producer eventually becoming an Executive Vice President.
- Topper (1937) - associate producer
- Merrily We Live (1938) - producer
- Swiss Miss (1938) - production supervisor (uncredited)
- There Goes My Heart (1938) - producer
- Topper Takes a Trip (1938) - producer
- Remember? (1939) - producer
- Wyoming (1940) - producer
- Free and Easy (1941) - producer (uncredited)
- Barnacle Bill (1941) - producer
- Tars and Spars (1946) - producer
- Borderline (1950) - producer and presenter
- Three for Bedroom "C" (1952) - Writer and director
In 1930, at age 27, Bren married 18-year-old Marion Newbert who was of partial Irish descent. They divorced in 1948. (Marion Newbert remarried in 1953 to steel businessman Earle M. Jorgensen and became a prominent philanthropist). They had two sons: Donald, who became chairman of the Irvine Company in Newport Beach, California, and Peter, a senior partner with KBS Investors in New York City.
Milton Bren died on December 14, 1979, aged 75, in Orange, California from a brain tumor.
- Ronnie and Nancy: Their Path to the White House--1911 to 1980 By Bob Colacello retrieved January 14, 2012
- History of the Hal Roach Studios By Richard Lewis Ward retrieved March 7, 2013
- Orange County Register: "Marion Jorgensen, Don Bren's mother, dead at 96" by Jon Lansner; June 20, 2008; retrieved April 13, 2014.
- Los Angeles Times: "Irvine Co. Land Baron to Sell Interest in Properties" by Debora Vrana, March 11, 1996.
- Businessweek: "Peter Milton Bren - Co-Founder, KBS Companies"; retrieved March 7, 2013
- Milton Bren profile, IMDb.com; retrieved March 7, 2013