Teller at the 2015 San Diego Comic-Con
Miles Alexander Teller
February 20, 1987
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||New York University|
Keleigh Sperry (m. 2019)
Miles Alexander Teller (born February 20, 1987) is an American actor. An alumnus of New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, he made his feature film debut in Rabbit Hole (2010), which he followed with supporting roles in Footloose (2011) and Project X (2012). Teller rose to prominence with his roles as Sutter Keely in the romantic drama The Spectacular Now (2013) and Andrew Neiman in Whiplash (2014). He has since starred in the dystopian action film Divergent (2014), the superhero film Fantastic Four (2015) as Mister Fantastic, the war comedy War Dogs (2016), opposite Jonah Hill, and portrayed boxer Vinny Paz in the biopic Bleed for This (2016).
Teller was born in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, the son of Merry, a real estate agent, and Michael Teller, a nuclear power plant engineer. He has two older sisters, Erin and Dana. His paternal grandfather was of Russian Jewish descent, and his ancestry also includes English and Irish. The family moved to Citrus County, Florida, when Teller was 12. He also lived in Pennsylvania and Delaware. At Lecanto High School, he played the alto saxophone in a rock band, was a drummer for a church-youth group band, and was president of the drama club. He can also play piano and guitar and was on the baseball team, hoping to turn professional. Aside from high school, Teller worked as a server at a restaurant called Crackers. He earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Tisch School of the Arts at New York University, where he studied method acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute.
In 2007, Teller was a passenger in a car that lost control at 80 mph and flipped eight times. Teller was ejected through a window; he has multiple visible scars on his face from the accident.
Before making his feature film debut Teller appeared in many short films. After graduating from Tisch School of the Arts in 2009, he made his debut in 2010's Rabbit Hole, after Nicole Kidman handpicked him for the role. Teller appeared in the stage musical Footloose in high school. Years later, he was cast in the film remake of Footloose (2011) starring Kenny Wormald, in which he played the same character as in his high school musical.
In 2013, he starred in 21 & Over, written and directed by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore. That year, he began reaching critical success after starring in the James Ponsoldt film, The Spectacular Now, for which he won the Dramatic Special Jury Award for Acting at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, with co-star Shailene Woodley.
In 2014, he co-starred in the comedy That Awkward Moment, alongside Zac Efron and Michael B. Jordan, and starred as a drummer in the well-reviewed drama Whiplash (2014), which premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival and opened in theaters in October 2014. He was nominated for the Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Actor, the Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture, and the BAFTA Rising Star Award.
Teller received further recognition when he portrayed Peter Hayes in the commercially successful Divergent (2014), followed by the film's sequels Insurgent (2015) and Allegiant (2016). He also starred as Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic in the film Fantastic Four (2015).
Teller played real life arms dealer David Packouz, opposite Jonah Hill, in the Todd Phillips-directed film War Dogs (2016), and headlined the biopic Bleed for This (2016), playing boxer Vinny Paz. In 2017, he starred in two drama films based on true stories, Only the Brave, about the Granite Mountain Hotshots, and Thank You for Your Service, about returning military veterans.
Teller is a loyal fan of the Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia Flyers, and Philadelphia Eagles. Since 2013, he has been in a relationship with model Keleigh Sperry. They became engaged August 20, 2017, at the Molori Safari lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve while on an African safari. Teller and Sperry got married on September 1, 2019 in Maui, Hawaii.
|2013||The Spectacular Now||Sutter Keely|
|21 & Over||Miller|
|That Awkward Moment||Daniel|
|Two Night Stand||Alec|
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Peter Hayes|
|Fantastic Four||Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic|
|2016||The Divergent Series: Allegiant||Peter Hayes|
|Get a Job||Will Davis|
|War Dogs||David Packouz|
|Bleed for This||Vinny Pazienza|
|2017||Only the Brave||Brendan "Donut" McDonough|
|Thank You for Your Service||Adam Schumann|
|2019||The Ark and the Aardvark||Gilbert (voice)||In production|
|2020||Top Gun: Maverick||Bradley Bradshaw||Post-production|
|2009||The Unusuals||James Boorland||Episode: "Boorland Day"|
|2019||Too Old to Die Young||Martin Jones||Main cast|
|2007||A Very Specific Recipe||Lee|
|2010||The Track Meet||Andrew|
Awards and nominations
- "Miles Alexander Teller Voting Record". Find The Data. Florida Department of State. Archived from the original on November 10, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Teller, Miles [@Miles_Teller] (February 20, 2014). "Happy bday to me..." (Tweet). Retrieved January 19, 2014 – via Twitter.
- Setoodeh, Ramin (January 23, 2014). "Miles Teller on his Breakout 'Whiplash' Role and Blushing for Nicole Kidman". Variety. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- "Rabbit Hole presskit" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on November 5, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Persall, Steve (November 11, 2014). "Snoopy? How rising star Miles Teller, a Lecanto High grad, found acting (w/video)". Tampa Bay Times. Florida. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
Teller's father, Mike...; His household was musical 'controlled chaos' with Miles, sisters Erin and Dana, and mother Merry.
- Lewis, Tim (August 21, 2016). "Miles Teller: 'I felt extremely misrepresented'" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Greco, Patti (August 27, 2013). "Miles Teller on The Spectacular Now, Moonwalking, and the Divergent–Hunger Games Comparisons". Vulture.com (New York). Retrieved December 10, 2013.
...my two older sisters — Dana, who is like eighteen months older...
- "Miles Teller". Vogue Italia - L'Uomo Vogue. February 10, 2015. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Miller, Gerri. "Hollywood Now: That Awkward Moment, Labor Day, Somewhere Slow". InterfaithFamily. Archived from the original on February 9, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
Teller, who is Jewish on his father's (father's) side, and Christian on his mother's side...
- O'Hare, Brian (November 14, 2016). "Something to Believe In: Bleed For This' Ben Younger, Miles Teller and Aaron Eckhart Will Their Way to Greatness". MovieMaker. Archived from the original on December 12, 2016. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
So how did English/Irish/Russian-Jewish Teller from Lecanto, Florida...
- Whitty, Stephen (March 15, 2015). "Miles Teller on 'Insurgent,' 'Whiplash' and his not-so-secret crush". NJ.com. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Swanson, Carl. "Miles Teller on Awkward, Fame, and Efron". Vulture.com (New York). Archived from the original on February 22, 2017. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
Teller played baseball, saxophone, and drums—in a church youth-group band, briefly
- Connor, Katie L. (August 30, 2013). "Unexpected Crush Alert: Miles Teller". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
I was Homecoming King but I was in all AP classes. I played alto saxophone in Jazz Band and drums in a rock band. I was the president of the Drama Club. I was in National Honor Society and Student Council for a little bit.
- Weston, Hillary (October 7, 2014). "Miles Teller: Cinema's Next Great Bad Ass?". Blackbook. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "Mr Fantastic Miles Teller on baseball dreams and growth spurts". Belfast Telegraph. February 6, 2015. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Apatow, Maude (August 8, 2013). "Maude Apatow Gets the Scoop from Miles Teller on 'The Spectacular Now'". Teen Vogue. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Morris, Alex (December 2, 2014). "How Miles Teller Drummed His Way to the Top". Vulture. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Kaufman, Amy (October 8, 2014). "'Whiplash' director, stars march to a friendly beat — off-screen". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Valiente, Alexa (August 19, 2016). "Miles Teller on How a Car Accident that Nearly Killed Him Changed His Life". ABC News.
- Yamato, Jen (November 8, 2010). Miles Teller on Rabbit Hole, Nicole Kidman and Cutting Footloose. Archived August 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine Movieline
- Durbin, Jonathan (2011). Miles Teller. Interview
- Weinstein, Joshua L. (May 26, 2011). Miles Teller Joins Relativity's '21 and Over.' The Wrap
- Hynes, Eric; Jeremy Kinser; Nate von Zumwalt (January 26, 2013). "2013 Sundance Film Festival Awards Updates". Sundance Film Festival. Sundance Institute. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Gleiberman, Owen (January 17, 2014). "Sundance: 'Whiplash' is the movie that could make Miles Teller a star". Entertainment Weekly. CNN. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Denham, Jess (January 7, 2015). "Baftas 2015: Jack O'Connell, Margot Robbie and Shailene Woodley among rising star nominees". The Independent. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Williams-Shaw, H. "'Divergent' Sequels Get Release Dates; Director Neil Burger Not Returning". Screenrant. Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (February 19, 2014). "'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed". Variety. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "'What's the Deal?': Jeff Sneider on 'Fantastic Four' Casting, Fan Expectations (Video)". The Wrap. February 21, 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 12, 2015). "'Whiplash' Star Miles Teller Joins Jonah Hill In 'Arms And The Dudes'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "Aaron Eckhart, Miles Teller Board Vinnie Pazienza Boxing Biopic". Variety. February 3, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "The Q&A ... with Hollywood actor and loyal, long-time Phillies fan Miles Teller". Philly Voice. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "The Hollywood Reporter & Samsung With The Cinema Society Host A Screening Of A24's 'The Spectacular Now'". Getty Images. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "Miles Teller On Viagra, Vegas, And Those Shailene Rumors". Elle. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "Miles Teller Is Engaged to Longtime Girlfriend Keleigh Sperry". People. August 22, 2017. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "How Miles Teller Turned His African Safari Into a Wedding Proposal". Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- Macon, Alexandra (September 2, 2019). "Just Married in Paradise: See the First Photos From Miles Teller and Keleigh Sperry's Elegant Wedding in Maui". Vogue. Retrieved September 2, 2019.
- ���Flag Day’ Shoot Under Way: Sean Penn Directs & Stars In Drama With Dylan Penn, Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Katheryn Winnick, More
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miles Teller.|