Okwo on set of The Meeting in 2011
|Years active||2006 - present|
Mildred Okwo is a Nigerian film director and producer. She was nominated for Best Director award at the 4th Africa Movie Academy Awards. In 2012 she directed the romance comedy-drama film The Meeting which won several awards including Nigeria Entertainment Awards, Africa Movie Academy Awards and Nollywood Movies Awards.
Mildred was born in 29 April 1966 in Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria. She studied Theater Arts at University of Benin. She is also studied law at the Whittier Law School, Orange County, California, USA.
Mildred Okwo is a Nigerian film Director and Producer whose films have been nominated and won several prestigious awards in Africa including AMVCA, AMAA, NMA and "Publix du Prix" at Nollywood Paris. In 2006, after her return to Nigeria, she wrote, co-produced and directed her film ‘30 days'.Many popular film actors in Nigeria performed in the film including Joke Silver, Najite Dede, GenevieveNnaji, Segun Arinze, Rita Dominic, Kate Henshaw and Norbert Young. 30 days was released in the US on April 30, 2006. It received 10 nominations at the 2008 Africa Movie Academy Awards including Best Art Direction, Best Screen Play, Best Cinematography and Best Picture. In 2016, Okwo was named one of "50 Women Shaping Africa" by Elle Magazine and 100 Most influential people in Nigeria by Y'Naija.comhttps://www.imdb.com/name/nm2268575/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm.
Academy Awards Committee
Mildred alongside eleven other Nollywood practitioners founded the Nigerian Oscars Selection Committee (NOSC) and were approved by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) to screen Nigerian films to be submitted for the Best Foreign Language Film category at the Academy Awards.
- Izuzu, Chidumga (29 April 2015). "5 reasons to love 'The Meeting' director and co-producer". Pulse NG. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "Afrinolly meets Nigerian Filmmaker Mildred Okwo". allafricancinema.com. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Why I have not Released The Meeting on DVD - Mildred Okwo". YNaija. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "I am Home to lead a Revolution - Mildred Okwo". nollywoodexpress.com. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Academy Awards incorporate Nigerian Committee to Screen Nollywood films". dailyindependentnig.com. Archived from the original on 2 May 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Oscars approve Committee for Screening Nigerian films". tribune.com.ng. Archived from the original on 3 September 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Major Milstone for Nollywood as Oscars approve Nigerian Committee". bellanaija.com. Retrieved 22 June 2014.