Adams with the Pittsburgh Steelers
|Born:||March 10, 1990|
|Height:||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Weight:||325 lb (147 kg)|
|High school:||Dublin (OH) Coffman|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 2��/ Pick: 56|
|Career NFL statistics|
Mike Adams (born March 10, 1990) is an American football Offensive Tackle who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Ohio State and was named first-team all Big Ten in 2010. Adams was considered to be one of the best offensive tackles of his draft class.
Adams attended Dublin Coffman High School in Dublin, Ohio, where he was an All-State selection as a junior and senior. Regarded as a five-star recruit by Rivals.com, Adams was listed as the No. 1 offensive tackle prospect in the class of 2008.
2012 NFL Draft
After Adams tested positive for drug use at the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine the Pittsburgh Steelers initially removed him from their draft board. Determined to be selected by his favorite team, Adams met with head coach Mike Tomlin, general manager Kevin Colbert, and team owner Art Rooney II. After professing his love for the Steelers and willingness to rectify his mistake, Adams was reconsidered by the historically strict franchise. He was selected in the second round (pick 56) of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 7 1⁄4 in
|10 3⁄4 in
|5.28 s||1.83 s||3.08 s||4.95 s||7.94 s||28 1⁄2 in
|8 ft 4 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
On May 8, 2012, the Steelers signed Adams to a four-year, $3.54 million contract with a signing bonus of $1.01 million and $1.01 million guaranteed. Adams played in his first career game on September 9, 2012, against the Denver Broncos. On October 21, 2012, he received his first career start in a 24–17 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. He then started the next 5 games. He finished his rookie season with 6 starts in 10 games.
On September 8, 2013, Adams started the Steelers' season opener against the Tennessee Titans. After four consecutive starts to begin the season, he was benched due to ineffective play. He finished his second season with 10 starts in 15 games.
After beginning his third season as a back-up, Adams received his first start of the year on October 26, 2014, in a 51–34 win over the Indianapolis Colts. He would not return to his starting role until Week 13. During his third season he started 4 times in 16 games.
In early June 2015, Adams was placed on the PUP list before training camp in order to recuperate from a back surgery.
On May 5, 2016, Adams was released after failing a physical, ending his tumultuous career with the team.
- "NFL Draft - 2012 OT Draft Prospects". CBSSports.com. Retrieved October 30, 2010.
- "Offensive tackles 2008". Rivals.com. January 17, 2008.
- "Pittsburgh Steelers/Mike Adams contract". sportrac.com. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- Neal Coolog. "Mike Adams has until tuesday to practice or miss the entire season". Retrieved November 21, 2015.
- "Steelers release Mike Adams". Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- Alper, Josh (August 10, 2016). "Bears bolster offensive line by signing Mike Adams". NBCSports.com. Retrieved September 5, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry (December 12, 2016). "Bears add McCants, put Adams on IR". ChicagoBears.com.
- "Pittsburgh Steelers lineman Mike Adams expected to make full recovery after early-morning stabbing". NY Daily News. Retrieved June 1, 2013.