This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Early life and education
Silver began his career as a sports writer and columnist for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, where he covered the San Francisco 49ers and Golden State Warriors from 1990 to 1994. He also covered the 49ers for the Sacramento Union and served as a correspondent for Pro Football Weekly and The Sporting News.
Silver began work at Sports Illustrated in November 1994, eventually becoming a senior writer there. He was one of the magazine's lead National Football League writers, having authored game stories for Super Bowls XXIX through XLI and personal profiles of famous sports characters. He has also written articles for Rolling Stone and GQ.
Silver joined the Yahoo! team at the beginning of the 2007 NFL season.
In August 2013 Silver started writing for NFL.com.
- Rice with Jerry Rice (St. Martin's Press, 1996)
- Walk on the Wild Side with Dennis Rodman (Delacorte Press, 1997) 
- All Things Possible with Kurt Warner (HarperSanFrancisco, 2000)
- Golden Girl with Natalie Coughlin (Rodale Press, 2006) 
Silver, who lists pro football, pro basketball, tennis and college softball as his favorite sports to cover, has received numerous writing awards from several organizations, including the Pro Football Writers of America, the Associated Press Sports Editors and the Pro Basketball Writers of America.
- Shane, Sam. "CBS13 Profile: Sports Writer Mike Silver". CBS Sacramento. CBS Broadcasting. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Cohn Joining PD Staff". Santa Rosa Press Democrat. 1995-01-22. NewsBank ID 9501220125.
Cohn, 49, replaces Michael Silver, who went to Sports Illustrated in November.
- Anderson, Michael (1997-06-08). "Bull Session". New York Times.
- Starks, Jennifer (2006-06-02). "NEXT CHAPTER: Swimmer, Olympic gold medalist savors success, tells all in new book". Contra Costa Times.