Michael K. Smith
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives|
from the 91st district
January 1995 – January 2011
|Preceded by||Thomas J. Homer|
|Succeeded by||Michael D. Unes|
|Born||May 23, 1966|
|Died||August 9, 2014 (aged 48)|
Donna Shaw (m. 1991–2014)
|Alma mater||Bradley University (B.A.)|
Early life and career
Illinois House of Representatives
In the 1994 general election, Smith won election to the Illinois House of Representatives in the 91st district. The 91st district, at that time, included portions of Fulton, Knox, and Peoria counties in western Illinois. He succeeded Thomas J. Homer for whom he served as a legislative assistant after the former vacated the seat to run for Congress.
In the 2001 decennial redistricting process, the Knox County portion of the district was removed and portions of Tazewell County were added. Smith was defeated in his bid for re-election in the 2010 general election by Republican Michael D. Unes, then a member of the City Council of East Peoria, Illinois.
In 2011, he was appointed to the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board. He was confirmed for a permanent seat on the Board by the Illinois State Senate on a vote of 33–21. He was sponsored for the post by Illinois State Senator David Koehler, D-Peoria, who had served in the Illinois State Legislature alongside then-Representative Smith.
- "Representative Michael K. Smith (D) - Previous General Assembly (96th) 91st District". Illinois General Assembly. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- Gordon-Booth, Jehan A. (December 2, 2014). "House Resolution 1382 98th General Assembly". Illinois General Assembly. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- Ryan, George H. (ed.). "Map of Legislative Districts". Illinois Blue Book 1993-1994. Illinois Secretary of State. p. 61.
- "More Illinois House Endorsements - Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. 1994-10-20. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- Van Der Slik, Jack (October 15, 1994). "Congressional races to watch: Replacements for Michel, Sangmeister could give GOP a shot at gaining a seat from Illinois this November". Illinois Issues. pp. 27–29.
- "State of Illinois Representative District 91 (2001-2011)" (PDF). Illinois State Board of Elections. January 4, 2019. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- "Unes Prepares For Springfield". CINewsNow.com. East Peoria, Illinois. Archived from the original on 2016-08-20. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- White, Jesse, ed. (2000). "Biographical Sketch of Michael K. Smith". Illinois Blue Book 1999-2000. p. 116. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- "Fulton County Democratic Central Committee List of Past Officers". Springfield, Illinois: Illinois State Board of Elections. April 1, 2008. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- "State Senate confirms Flider, Smith appointments - News - Journal Star - Peoria, IL". Pjstar.com. 2012-11-28. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- Chris Kaergard (1974-08-08). "Former state Rep. Mike Smith remembered as 'good soul' - News - Journal Star - Peoria, IL". Pjstar.com. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- Illinois General Assembly - Representative Michael K. Smith (D) 91st District official IL House website
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Michael K. Smith (IL) profile
- Follow the Money - Michael K. Smith
- Illinois House Democrats - Michael K. Smith profile
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|