This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||FWB: MEO|
|Founded||1964; Metro AG formed in 1996|
|Products||Cash & Carry/warehouse club, electronics specialty, hypermarket|
|Revenue||€36,534 billion (2017/18)|
|€578 million (2017/18)|
|€348 million (2017/18)|
|Total assets||€15.2 billion (2017/18)|
|Total equity||€3.2 billion (2017/18)|
Number of employees
Metro AG, otherwise known as Metro Group, is a German multinational wholesale/cash and carry group based in Düsseldorf. It was established in 1964 by Ernst Schmidt and Wilhelm Schmidt-Ruthenbeck. As of 2010[update], it was the fourth-largest retailer in the world measured by revenues (after Wal-Mart, Carrefour and Tesco).
In June 2009, it was reported that the company was looking to purchase some of the assets of Arcandor, after the firm filed for bankruptcy. They split off and floated their Praktiker division in December 2006, a DIY/home improvement chain with stores in several countries.
On March 30, 2016, Metro Group announced that it will be splitting into two independent companies: A spin-off of the wholesale and food sector of current Metro AG will be responsible for the group’s division into two independent and publicly listed companies. Both will have their own Management, Supervisory Board and independent company profiles. Ceconomy is the new company, comprising Media Markt and Saturn electronics stores.
The company operates Metro Cash and Carry wholesale centers in Europe, China, India, Japan and Pakistan. In Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, and Czech Republic, operates stores under Makro brand, which were acquired from SHV Holdings in 1998.
- "Annual Report 2017/18" (PDF). metroag.de. 13 December 2018.
- "Contact & Directions". Metro AG. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
Metro-Straße 1, 40235 Düsseldorf[self-published source]
- Switching Channels: Global Powers of Retailing 2012 (Report). Delotte. January 2012. p. G11. Archived from the original on 26 June 2015. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Bright, Peter (2 August 2012). "Sources claim that German retailer Metro AG is unhappy with Redmond". Ars Technica.
- Reuters (November 2012). "Metro sells some hypermarket operations to Auchan".
- "Canada's Hudson's Bay Company and Metro Group Reach Agreement over Sale of Galeria Kaufhof". hbc.com.
- "Metro Group prepares demerger into two independent, strong wholesale and retail groups". metrogroup.de/en.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Metro Group.|