|2014 Zürich||5000 m|
|2016 Amsterdam||5000 m|
|2018 Berlin||10 000 m|
|European Cross Country Championships|
|2017 Šamorín||Senior race|
|2014 Samokov||Senior race|
She was born in Dekishahay, Eritrea. As a junior, she competed in the junior races at the IAAF World Cross Country Championships, finishing twelfth in 2006 and sixth in 2007. Together with her teammates she won the silver medal in the team event at the 2007 championships. She finished fifth in the 1500 metres at the 2006 World Junior Championships. At the 2007 All-Africa Games she finished seventh in the 5000 metres. She competed in her first senior cross-country race at the 2008 World Cross Country Championships, but only finished 43rd.
Her personal best times are 4:05.11 minutes in the 1500 metres, achieved in July 2013 in Heusden-Zolder; and 14:59.49 minutes in the 5000 metres, achieved in July 2014 in Palo Alto, USA. The 5000 personal best also marked a Swedish record (former was from 1995 held by Sara Wedlund). With the sub-15 race Meraf made her big international breakthrough and immediately became one of the best long distance runners on European soil and a medal contender for future European Championships.
She moved to Sweden in 2008, fleeing from the situation in Eritrea. In Sweden she has continued her running career, getting support from Ulf Friberg, the trainer of Mustafa Mohamed. Bahta got her permanent residency permit in 2012 and has applied for Swedish citizenship. In December she got her citizenship and since 2014 she is eligible to compete for Sweden in international championships. She represented Sweden at the 2016 Summer Olympics.
On 26 July 2018, Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reported that she is suspected of doping violations. On 24 June 2019, it was announced that she had been suspended for doping. The suspension period is partly retroactive, lasting from 1 September 2018 to 1 September 2019. The precise allegation is failure to report the location, so doping inspectors could not find her. Elite athletes have to report their location at any time. Not being found is considered a doping violation. Her defense was that she is not skilled in computers, nor in English. The phone app to be used for reporting has received criticism.
- Meraf Bahta at IAAF
- ":: COJA 2007 :: Site Officiel des 9 èmes jeux africains - Alger du 11 AU 23 juillet 2007". 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- Radio, Sveriges. "Meraf Bahta springer för medborgarskap och VM - P4 Väst" (in Swedish). Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- ":: friidrott.se :: - Nyheter & Artiklar". www.friidrott.se. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- "Bahta överlägsen i Tjejmilen" (in Swedish). SVT Sport. 6 September 2014. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "IAAF: 1500 Metres Result | IAAF World Championships London 2017 | iaaf.org". iaaf.org. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- Jacob Johannesson, Petter Landén (24 June 2019). "Meraf Bahta stängs av" (in Swedish). Expressen. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- ADAMS Mobile App