|Melbourne High School|
2270 Lacrosse Road
|School type||Public comprehensive|
|School district||Melbourne School District|
|NCES School ID||050972000711|
|Teaching staff||31.98 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.24|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core|
Advanced Placement (AP)
|Athletics||Football, Golf, Cross Country, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Track, Cheer, Dance|
|Athletics conference||3A Region 1|
|Mascot||Bearcats (spelled Bearkatz)|
|Team name||Melbourne Bearkatz|
|USNWR ranking||Bronze Medalist (2012)|
Melbourne High School is a nationally recognized and accredited public high school located in the rural community of Melbourne, Arkansas, United States. The school provides comprehensive secondary education for approximately 400 students each year in grades 7 through 12. It is one of four public high schools in Izard County, Arkansas and the only high school administered by the Melbourne School District.
Melbourne High School is accredited by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). The assumed course of study follows the Smart Core curriculum developed by the ADE. Students complete regular (core and elective) and career focus coursework and exams and may take Advanced Placement (AP) courses and exams with the opportunity to receive college credit.
Melbourne is one of twenty high schools to be recognized with the 2012 College Readiness Award by the Arkansas ACT Council in recognition of improving the participation rate of students taking the ACT college readiness exam.
The Melbourne Bearkatz compete in interscholastic activities within the 3A Classification via the 3A Region 1 Conference (and 3A Region 1 East Conference for basketball), as administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. The Bearkatz participate in football, golf (boys/girls), cross country (boys/girls), bowling (boys/girls), basketball (boys/girls), cheer, dance, baseball, softball, and track and field (boys/girls).
- Golf: The boys golf team are 2-time state golf champions winning titles in fall 2002 and 2009. The girls team won consecutive state golf titles in 2005 and 2006.
Clubs and traditions
Melbourne students may engage in a variety of clubs and organizations such as: Future Farmers of America (FFA), FCCLA, Student Council, Beta Club, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Key Club, and Quiz Bowl.
- "Search for Public Schools - Melbourne High School (050972000711)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Best High Schools 2012". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved December 16, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Arkansas High Schools Receive College Readiness Award". Arkansas Department of Education. November 13, 2012. Retrieved January 28, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "School Profile, Melbourne High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved December 16, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "2012–13 Arkansas High School Sports Record Book" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 31, 2013. Retrieved November 23, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)