Matthew W. McFarland
|Judge of the Ohio Fourth District Court of Appeals|
|Assumed office |
February 9, 2005
|Born||August 5, 1967|
Portsmouth, Ohio, U.S.
|Education||Capital University (BA)|
Capital University Law School (JD)
Matthew Walden McFarland (born August 5, 1967) is an Ohio judge currently serving on the Ohio Fourth District Court of Appeals and is a nominee to be a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Prior to joining the bench, McFarland was a Scioto County Assistant Prosecutor and acted as Special Counsel for the Ohio Attorney General. He was also a Licking County Assistant County Prosecutor. He previously served as the Magistrate in Scioto County Common Pleas Court Probate/Juvenile Division and as Chairman of the Ohio Association of Magistrates, Juvenile Section.
Nomination to district court
On October 10, 2018, President Donald Trump announced his intent to nominate McFarland to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. On November 13, 2018, his nomination was sent to the Senate. President Trump nominated McFarland to the seat on the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio vacated by Judge Thomas M. Rose, who took senior status on June 30, 2017.
On January 3, 2019, his nomination was returned to the President under Rule XXXI, Paragraph 6 of the United States Senate. On January 23, 2019, President Trump announced his intent to renominate McFarland for a federal judgeship. His nomination was sent to the Senate later that day. On June 26, 2019, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On July 18, 2019, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 12–10 vote. His nomination is currently pending before the full United States Senate.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Eighteenth Wave of Judicial Nominees, Eighteenth Wave of United States Attorney Nominees, and Thirteenth Wave of United States Marshal Nominees" White House, October 10, 2018 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Corrigan, Tom (October 11, 2018). "McFarland is nominated". Portsmouth Daily Times. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Twenty Six Nominations Sent to the Senate", White House, November 13, 2018
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Judicial Nominees", White House, January 23, 2019
- "Nominations Sent to the Senate", White House, January 23, 2019
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for June 26, 2019
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – July 18, 2019, Senate Judiciary Committee
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees: Matthew McFarland
|This American law–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|