Matt Sherman (born October 29, 1978 in San Francisco, California) is the Army Rugby men's head coach at the United States Military Academy, leading the Black Knights to an undefeated fall season and a Rugby East conference championship in 2018. Sherman was previously head coach of the Stanford women's and men's rugby teams. Sherman has led the Stanford women's rugby team to a 2nd-place finish in Division I in both 2012 and 2014. Previously, Sherman spent two seasons as San Diego State's head coach, leading the Aztecs to the national semifinals in 2009 and the national quarterfinals in 2010. Sherman's career also includes coaching positions with the USA Rugby U-18 Junior National Team, the USA Rugby Collegiate All-Americans, and the U.S. senior national team. Sherman was an assistant coach for the U.S. at the 2011 Rugby World Cup.
Sherman played fly-half for the U.S. men's national rugby team from 2003 to 2005, including the 2003 Rugby World Cup. Sherman began playing rugby at Piedmont High School (east SF Bay area). He then played collegiate rugby at Cal, where he was team captain his last 2 years, and a three time Collegiate All-American. During his time playing fly-half for California the Golden Bears won 4 consecutive National Championships. After graduating Cal Sherman played in England for Oxford University while earning his master's degree. His coaching career began at Oxford when he was in charge of their Women's squad.
- Stanford Women's Rugby, Roster, http://web.stanford.edu/group/wrugby/cgi-bin/new-site/roster/coaches/
- Stanford Men's Rugby, Roster, http://web.stanford.edu/group/mrugby/cgi-bin/new-site/roster/coaches/
- Goff Rugby Report, Women's Historical Champions—DI College, <http://www.goffrugbyreport.com/womens-historical-champions-di-college>
- Rugby Mag, 8 Tries for Stanford in Final Four Win, May 11, 2012, http://www.rugbymag.com/women's-college/4514-8-tries-for-stanford-in-final-four-win.html
- Nike Rugby Camps, Stanford University, http://www.ussportscamps.com/rugby/nike/nike-rugby-camps-stanford-university/
- Rugby Mag, Sherman Settling In At Stanford, Dec. 29, 2010, http://www.rugbymag.com/men's-di-college/82-sherman-settling-in-at-stanford.html
- ESPN Scrum, Players and Officials, http://www.espnscrum.com/other/rugby/player/14272.html