March 7, 1990 |
London, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||174 lb (79 kg; 12 st 6 lb)|
|Orlando Solar Bears
|NHL Draft||77th overall, 2009
Matthew Hackett (born March 7, 1990) is a Canadian professional ice hockey goaltender. He is currently with the Orlando Solar Bears in the ECHL. He was selected by the Minnesota Wild in the 3rd round (77th overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Matt is a nephew to former NHL goaltender Jeff Hackett.
Hackett was called up to the NHL as a backup to Josh Harding on November 23, 2011, for a game against the Nashville Predators after Niklas Bäckström missed the game for personal reasons. In case Hackett did not arrive at the game in time (from his assignment with the Houston Aeros), 51-year-old recreational goaltender Paul Deutsch was signed to an amateur tryout contract, but was eventually scratched as Hackett served as the backup.
Hackett made his National Hockey League (NHL) debut on December 6, 2011, in a road game against the San Jose Sharks, entering 1:11 into the game after starting goalie Harding was injured. In his debut game, Hackett earned a perfect 1.000 save percentage by making 34 saves on 34 shots, a performance that helped lead the Minnesota Wild to a 2-1 victory with the only goal against Minnesota having been in the first minute of play, prior to Hackett entering the game. On December 8, 2011, two days after his NHL debut, Matt Hackett made his first NHL start as the Minnesota Wild played against the Los Angeles Kings. Hackett stopped 42 of 44 shots for a .955 save percentage, helping to lead the Wild to a 4-2 win. In both of these games, Hackett was named the number one star for the game.
During the lockout shortened 2012–13 season, Hackett was dealt at the trade deadline on April 3, 2013, along with Johan Larsson, a 1st round pick in 2013, and a 2nd round pick in 2014 from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for Jason Pominville and a 4th round pick in 2014.
Hackett made his debut with the Sabres on March 20, 2014 against the Edmonton Oilers. Hackett was called up on an emergency recall after goaltenders Michal Neuvirth and Jhonas Enroth were both injured before a west-coast road trip. Hackett made 35 saves on 36 shots in a 2-1 victory. On April 9, 2014, it was announced that Hackett will act as goaltender for the remaining three games of the season, proving himself in the game on April 8 with 33 saves against the Detroit Red Wings. On April 12, 2014 Hackett suffered a major knee injury against the Boston Bruins. As of April 15, 2014 the Sabres announced Hackett would not return from injury until December, 2015.
On July 1, 2015, Hackett signed as a free agent to a two-year contract with the Anaheim Ducks. Hackett endured two largely disappointing seasons within the Ducks organization, appearing in 29 games with AHL affiliate, the San Diego Gulls.
As a free agent from the Ducks, Hackett was unable to secure a NHL contract and accepted a one-year ECHL deal with the Orlando Solar Bears on September 5, 2017.
|2015–16||San Diego Gulls||AHL||22||10||7||2||1129||57||1||3.03||.895||6||2||4||370||14||1||2.27||.925|
|2016–17||San Diego Gulls||AHL||7||2||3||0||340||19||1||3.35||.898||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|OHL Second All-Star Team||2009–10|||
- "King: Last cut letdown". Sportsnet.ca. 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Nashville at Minnesota". National Hockey League. 2011-11-23. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Wild's Josh Harding leaves with upper-body injury". National Hockey League. 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- "Minnesota Wild win over San Jose Sharks". National Hockey League. 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- "Minnesota Wild at Los Angeles Kings Game Recap". National Hockey League. 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Wild recall Hackett after losing Backstrom to injury". CBC Sports. 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "Sabres acquire Larsson, Hackett and draft picks from Wild". Buffalo Sabres. 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Buffalo Sabres Goalies Remain Injured, Matt Hackett Will Close Out the Season".
- "Ducks sign Hackett, Mueller and Piskula to contracts". Anaheim Ducks. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "Hackett brings NHL experience to Solar Bears". ECHL. 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "OHL Second All-Star Team". Eliteprospects.com. 2011-02-15. Retrieved 2011-02-15.