Marriages and issue
A husband was needed to control the dispersed earldom; she then married Gilbert de Umfraville, a Norman, who was feudal Baron of Prudhoe in Northumberland. He died shortly before 13 March 1245, but not before Matilda had borne him a son named Gilbert to succeed to the earldom in his infancy:
- Gilbert, married Elizabeth Comyn, daughter of Alexander Comyn, Earl of Buchan, had issue. He died in 1308.
Matilda married again before 22 December 1247, Richard de Dover (a grandson of King John of England), the feudal baron of Chilham, Kent, the son of Richard Fitz Roy. Matilda disappears from records after producing two children:
- Richard of Chilham, Lord of Chilham. He died before 10 January 1266.
- Isabel, married David I Strathbogie, Earl of Atholl, son of John de Strathbogie and Ada, Countess of Atholl, had issue.
- Paul, James Balfour, The Scots Peerage, (Edinburgh, 1904), vol. i, Angus.
- Richardson, Douglas, Plantagenet Ancestry, Baltimore, 2004, p. 49, ISBN 0-8063-1750-7
| Countess of Angus
Gilbert de Umfraville