|Turnout||51.19% 18.86 |
The race between Cellucci and Malone was acrimonious, with each candidate accusing the other of committing ethical violations.
On September 16, Cellucci defeated Malone to win his party's nomination.
- Janet E. Jeghelian, radio host (running with Malone)
- Jane M. Swift, Secretary of Consumer Affairs (running with Cellucci)
- Charlie Baker, Secretary of Administration and Finance
- Ralph C. Martin II, Suffolk County District Attorney
|Republican||Jane M. Swift||116,476||54.38%|
|Republican||Janet E. Jeghelian||97,411||45.48%|
- Brian J. Donnelly, former United States Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago
- Scott Harshbarger, Massachusetts Attorney General
- Patricia McGovern, State Senator
|Democratic||Brian J. Donnelly||98,774||17.12%|
|Democratic||Dorothy Kelly Gay||232,250||46.10%|
After Harshbarger's primary victory, many moderate Democrats who had voted for McGovern or Donnelly, chose to support the socially liberal, fiscally moderate Cellucci instead of the more liberal Harshbarger.
In a January opinion poll, Cellucci lead Harshbarger 50%-30%. By August, Harshbarger had taken a 37%-35% lead over Cellucci.
On November 3, Cellucci defeated Harshbarger by 65,317 votes.
- "Massachusetts gubernatorial election, 1998".
- Jill Zuckman and Frank Phillips (September 10, 1998). "Malone, Cellucci trade blows on ethics". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "Our Campaigns - MA Governor - R Primary Race - Sep 15, 1998". www.ourcampaigns.com.
- "Our Campaigns - MA Lt. Governor - R Primary Race - Sep 15, 1998". www.ourcampaigns.com.
- Harden, Blaine (1997-08-29). "Joseph Kennedy Ends Gubernatorial Bid". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- "Our Campaigns - MA Governor - D Primary Race - Sep 15, 1998". www.ourcampaigns.com.
- "Our Campaigns - MA Lt. Governor - D Primary Race - Sep 15, 1998". www.ourcampaigns.com.
- Adrian Walker (September 19, 1998). "Democratic Dissidents Back Cellucci". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Scot Lehigh (October 6, 1998). "Cellucci Seen Seizing Initiative from Harshbarger". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Brian C. Mooney (August 15, 1998). "Surplus Stumble Illustrates Why Cellucci's Falling". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "Our Campaigns - MA Governor Race - Nov 03, 1998". www.ourcampaigns.com.