|Born||December 10, 1962|
|Area(s)||Manga artist, artist, character designer|
|Video Girl Ai, I"s, Zetman|
|Awards||Tezuka Award (1980, 1981)|
Masakazu Katsura (桂 正和, Katsura Masakazu, born December 10, 1962) is a Japanese manga artist, known for several works of manga, including Wing-Man, Shadow Lady, DNA², Video Girl Ai, I"s, and Zetman. He has also worked as character designer for Iria: Zeiram the Animation, Tiger & Bunny and Garo -Guren no Tsuki-, as well as the video game Astral Chain.
Masakazu Katsura was born in the prefecture of Fukui in Japan. The turning point in his life was an illness for which he was bedridden, during which time he taught himself a different way to draw. Katsura entered the manga industry in his second or third year of high school, when he entered a work for the Tezuka Award to win the prize money. However, he says he did not grow up reading manga, instead he read novels and watched movies.
Video Girl Ai was made into an original video animation and has been released in North America. A live-action movie was also made of the story. The five-volume series DNA² was adapted into a television anime series and concluded with a short OVA, both were also released in North America. I"s was adapted into two OVA series: one two-episode side story, and one six-episode summary of the manga.
Katsura also performed as a vocalist on the songs "Tomorrow Will Be Tomorrow" and "Unseen Dream" from the two soundtracks for the Video Girl Ai OVA.
In 2008, he collaborated with Akira Toriyama, his good friend and creator of Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump, for the Jump SQ one-shot Sachie-chan Good!!. The two became friends in the early 1980s, having been introduced by their mutual editor Kazuhiko Torishima, and have even parodied each other in their own manga. Toriyama credits Katsura with coming up with the idea to have two characters "fuse" together in Dragon Ball, leading to the Fusion technique. However, Katsura says this is only a rumor; while he did in fact suggest it to him, he knows that Toriyama was not listening and claims Toriyama later thought it up on his own. They worked together again in 2009, for the three-chapter one-shot Jiya in Weekly Young Jump.
- Wing-Man (1983–1985)
- Super Mobile Troop Vander (超機動員ヴァンダー, 1985–1986)
- Present from Lemon (プレ���ント・フロム LEMON, 1987)
- Zetman (4 one-shots from 1989 to 1994, serialized 2002–2014)
- Video Girl (電影少女, Den'ei Shōjo, one-shot in 1989, serialized 1990–1993)
- Shadow Lady (1992–1993, 1995–1996)
- DNA² (D・N・A² 〜何処かで失くしたあい���のアイツ〜, 1993–1994)
- M (1996)
- I"s (1997–1999)
- Dr Chambalee (2000)
- Sachie-chan Good!! (さちえちゃんグー!!, story by Akira Toriyama, 2008)
- Jiya (JIYA -ジヤ-, story by Akira Toriyama, 2009–2010)
- Other works
- Iria: Zeiram the Animation (OVA, character designs, 1994)
- Love & Destroy (video game, character designs, 1999)
- Bitch's Life (3 pages, 2001)
- Tiger & Bunny (anime, character designs, 2011)
- Garo -Guren no Tsuki- (anime, character designs, 2015)
- The Girl in Twilight (multimedia franchise, character designs, 2018)
- Astral Chain (video game, character design, 2019)
- "INTERVIEW: Masakazu Katsura". Viz Media. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23. Retrieved 2013-05-15. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "DB's Toriyama, I's Katsura to Team Up on 1-Shot Manga". Anime News Network. 2008-02-05. Retrieved 2013-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bokurano's Kitoh to Draw One-Shot Manga in Jump Square". Anime News Network. 2008-03-03. Retrieved 2013-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Kido, Misaki C.; Bae, John. "EXCLUSIVE: Masakazu Katsura Spotlight". Viz Media. Archived from the original on 2014-07-12. Retrieved 2015-03-14. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- DRAGON BALL 大全集 6: MOVIES & TV SPECIALS (in Japanese). Shueisha. 1995. ISBN 4-08-782756-9.
- "Dragon Ball's Toriyama, DNA²'s Katsura to Launch Jiya Manga". Anime News Network. 2009-12-01. Retrieved 2013-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Tokyo Toy Show 2008 report: Bandai booth". Hobby Stock (in Japanese). Retrieved 2008-06-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Masakazu Katsura.|