|Area||640 acres (2.6 km2)|
Marymoor Park, located on the north end of Lake Sammamish in Redmond, Washington, is King County's largest, oldest, and most popular park, with more than 3 million annual visitors coming to roam its 640 acres (2.6 km2). Among recreational activities available are various sports facilities, rock climbing, a 40-acre off-leash dog park and a velodrome. It is also one end of the Sammamish River Trail, a biking and walking trail. In addition, a radio control aircraft flying field and a pet memorial garden are within the park's boundaries.
The historic Willowmoor farm and Clise Mansion lie at the western edge of the park, along the Sammamish River. The farm and mansion were created in the early 1900s by James Clise, a banker. The landscaping was designed by the Olmsted Brothers. The mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ralph Dodd and two of his brothers, Dean & Lloyd Dodd were partners with Walter Nettleton in operating a large dairy farm at Willowmoor farm from 1930 - 1964. The brothers renamed the farm Marymoor in honor of Walter's young daughter, Mary Nettleton, who died in a bicycle accident. Although all 6 of Ralph Dodd's brothers were happily married, Ralph remained single. Ralph considered the children of Bellevue's Kemper Freeman to be his family, having lived at Marymoor when the Freeman's resided there.
At the western end of the park, 2.1 acres are used by the Marymoor Community Gardener's Association, one of the oldest public gardens in the country.
In February 2003, King County added a one dollar parking fee to offset budget reductions.
- Marymoor Park in King County, Washington
- "Marymoor Park". HistoryLink.org. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Off Leash
- Sammamish River Trail in King County, Washington
- "Clise Mansion". King County Parks. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- The Concerts at Marymoor
- Marymoor Community Garden Association
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2012-04-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
Media related to Marymoor Park at Wikimedia Commons
- Marymoor Park Concerts
- Marymoor Park Home
- Friends of Marymoor
- Serve Our Dog Areas - Support and Stewardship of the Dog Park
- Dogs Of Marymoor Park photo site
|This King County, Washington state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|