|Martingrove Collegiate Institute|
50 Winterton Drive
|School type||High School|
|Motto||Latin: Lumen in Vobis Est|
(The Light is Within You)
|Founded||May 28, 1966|
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Area trustee||Dan MacLean|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,034 (Apr 30, 2020)|
|Colour(s)||Brown, White and Orange|
|Team name||Martingrove Bears|
Martingrove Collegiate Institute (MCI), also referred to as Martingrove, is a non-semestered public secondary school in Etobicoke, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It opened in 1966 and is currently overseen by the Toronto District School Board.
AP & Pre-AP Program
Martingrove offers the Advanced Placement Program and Pre-AP Program to its students. The Pre-AP Program begins in Grade 9 and continues through Grade 11, and is meant to teach students the necessary skills, knowledge, and foundations for success in preparation for entrance to the Advanced Placement Program in grade 12.
Reach for the Top
Martingrove has a history of participation in the high school quiz program Reach for the Top. They have won numerous local, regional and provincial tournaments, with appearances at both the provincial and national level finals. They have qualified for the national level finals for 8 years straight as of 2018.
- 2013 - Ontario Provincial Champions
- 2014 - Canadian National Champions
- 2015 - Ontario Provincial Champions
- 2016 - Ontario Provincial Champions
Model United Nations
Martingrove is host to one of the largest Model United Nations in Ontario, Martingrove Model United Nations, running the annual 2-day event since 1986. The event draws on hundreds of students across the Toronto District School Board, as well as notable guest speakers such as Bob Rae (former Ontario Premier), Allan Rock (former Justice Minister), Jean Chrétien (former Canadian Prime Minister), and Elizabeth Dowdeswell (current Lieutenant Governor of Ontario).
- Tom Cochrane, Musician
- Daniel DeSanto, Actor (Half Baked, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Mean Girls, Breakaway)
- Bruce Driver, Former NHL Hockey Player and Stanley Cup champion (New Jersey Devils)
- Kiefer Sutherland, Actor (24, The Lost Boys, A Time to Kill)
- Denis McGrath, Screenwriter and producer.
- Ravi Vakil, Professor of Mathematics, Stanford University.
- Heather MacLean, an Olympic Swimmer on the Swim Relay Squad in London, 2012.
- Nathan Cullen, Canadian Federal politician in the New Democratic Party
- Basia Bulat, Musician
- Brad Giffen, Former News Anchor/Reporter (ABC, CTV, CITY-TV / Host-Toronto Rocks)
- Malcolm Subban, NHL Draftee (Boston Bruins). Plays goalie for the Providence Bruins.
- Mark Ellis, co-creator, Executive Producer of Flashpoint and X-Company
- Keith Pelley, sports executive, CEO of the PGA European Tour, former presidents of Rogers Media, Toronto Argonauts and TSN.
- Frank Morrone, audio engineer, Canadian Screen Award winner for The Book of Negroes, Emmy award winner.
- Matthew Wright, Basketball Player (Phoenix Fuel Masters, Philippines National Team)
- Ed Iacobucci, Dean and Professor of Law, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto
- "Secondary School Boundaries for Students with Giftedness Exceptionalities". tdsb.on.ca.
- "MCI AP PROGRAM".
- Board, Toronto District School. "Martingrove CI wins Reach for the Top Provincial Title".
- InsideToronto.com. "Martingrove CI clinches title at Reach for the Top quiz competition".
- "Reach For The Top - Reach For The Top".
- "Archives". 29 August 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20150705185946/http://www.tdsb.on.ca/about_us/media_room/Room.asp?show=allNews&view=detailed&self=24317. Archived from the original on July 5, 2015. Retrieved November 22, 2012. Missing or empty
- "CMO Winners sorted by school by rank". Canadian Mathematical Society. Retrieved 18 August 2016.