|General Secretary of the Christian Social Union|
|Assumed office |
14 March 2018
|Preceded by||Andreas Scheuer|
|Deputy General Secretary of the Christian Social Union|
1 February 2017 – 14 March 2018
|Preceded by||Dorothee Bär|
|Succeeded by||Daniela Ludwig|
|Member of the Landtag of Bavaria |
|Assumed office |
28 September 2008
|Preceded by||Heinrich Traublinger|
|Born||14 February 1975|
Munich, West Germany (now Germany)
|Political party||Christian Social Union|
|Alma mater||Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich|
Markus Blume (born 14 February 1975) is a German politician, representative of the Christian Social Union of Bavaria (CSU). Since 14 March 2018, he has been serving as Secretary General of the CSU party.
Early life and career
Blume was born in Munich. He graduated in political science from the Munich School of Public Policy (HfP) in 1998. In 2002, he founded consulting firm Content5 in Munich. He worked as spokesperson and strategic adviser of Viktor Vekselberg’s Zurich-based investment holding Renova Management AG from 2005 until 2008.
Blume joined the CSU in 1995. From 1997 until 2001, he served as chairman of the Association of Christian Democratic Students (RCDS) in Bavaria and was an ex-officio member of the CSU leadership under chairman Edmund Stoiber.
Blume has been a representative of Stimmkreis München-Ramersdorf in the Landtag of Bavaria since the 2008 state elections. In parliament, he is a member of the Committee on Economic and Media Affairs, Infrastructure, Building and Transport, Energy and Technology, and of the Committee on Health and Care. Since 2011, he has been serving as chairman of the CSU Business Council.
In the negotiations to form a Grand Coalition of Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU together with the Bavarian CSU) and the SPD following the 2013 German elections, he was part of the CDU/CSU delegation in the working group on digital policy, led by Dorothee Bär and Brigitte Zypries.
Between 2015 and 2017, Blume was in charge of re-drafting the CSU party's new manifesto. From 2017, he served as Deputy Secretary General under the leadership of party chairman Horst Seehofer and Secretary General Andreas Scheuer.
Blume was a CSU delegate to the Federal Convention for the purpose of electing the President of Germany in 2017. In the negotiations to form another coalition government under the leadership of Chancellor Angela Merkel following the 2017 federal elections, he was part of the working group on cultural affairs and media, led by Monika Grütters, Dorothee Bär and Michael Roth.
- RTL Group, Member of the Advisory Board Committee (since 2015)
- KWA Kuratorium Wohnen im Alter, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Eugen Biser Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees (since 2017)
- Otto Eckart Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees (since 2017)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria, Member of the Synod (since 2015)
- Munich School of Public Policy (HfP), Member of the Advisory Board
- Atlantik-Brücke, Member
- Der Anti-Wadlbeißer, Der Spiegel, 7 March 2018
- Official site Archived 2008-12-08 at the Wayback Machine
- Wolfgang Wittl (January 15, 2017), CSU beruft zweiten Generalsekretär Süddeutsche Zeitung.
- Mitglieder bzw. Ersatzmitglieder der 16. Bundesversammlung Landtag of Bavaria, press release of 22 November 2016.
- Supervisory Board KWA Kuratorium Wohnen im Alter.
- Advisory Board Munich School of Political Science.