|Born||1949 (age 71–72)|
|Occupation||Film critic, journalist|
He has been an occasional commentator for NHK's English broadcasts of sumo tournaments since they began in 1992. He wrote Sumo: A Fan's Guide in 1994, and previously co-wrote Jesse: Sumo Superstar in 1985 about Takamiyama Daigorō. He has also reported on the sport for Variety.
Schilling's 1997 book, The Encyclopedia of Japanese Pop Culture, was described by D. James Romero of Los Angeles Times as "a history as well as a guidebook to one of the freshest influences in the American popular stream."
- Sumo: A Fan's Guide (1994)
- The Encyclopedia of Japanese Pop Culture (1997)
- Contemporary Japanese Film (2003)
- The Yakuza Movie Book: A Guide to Japanese Gangster Films (2003)
- No Borders, No Limits: Nikkatsu Action Cinema (2007)
- Art, Cult and Commerce: Japanese Cinema Since 2000 (2020)
- Princess Mononoke: The Art and Making of Japan's Most Popular Film of All Time (1999)
- Kenzo Kitakata's Winter Sleep (2004)
- Heiter, Celeste, ed. (2009). To Japan with Love: A Travel Guide for the Connoisseur. San Francisco: ThingsAsian Press. p. 266.
- Smith, Alyssa I. (January 18, 2020). "Want to know Japanese cinema? Get to know Mark Schilling". The Japan Times.
- "'Sumodo' documentary offers a rare inside look at the competitive world of sumo". The Japan Times. November 6, 2020.
- "Horrors of Malformed Men". DVD Talk. August 28, 2007.
He also does great play-by-play sumo commentary for NHK, but that's another story.
- "Bulk, Violence and a Loincloth : Sumo's Culture Shock No Bar to Foreigners". Los Angeles Times. December 12, 1985.
- "NHK cancels Nagoya Grand Sumo coverage". Variety. July 7, 2010.
- Romero, D. James (November 13, 1997). "Western Influence: What Goes Around Comes Around". Los Angeles Times.
- Sharp, Jasper (February 16, 2004). "Midnight Eye book review: Contemporary Japanese Film". Midnight Eye.
- Mes, Tom (March 10, 2004). "Midnight Eye book review: The Yakuza Movie Book: A Guide to Japanese Gangster Films". Midnight Eye.
- Mes, Tom (January 18, 2008). "Midnight Eye book review: No Borders, No Limits: Nikkatsu Action Cinema". Midnight Eye.
- Hale, Mike (September 23, 2007). "Film". The New York Times.