|Long title||An Act to make provision in relation to marine functions and activities; to make provision about migratory and freshwater fish; to make provision for and in connection with the establishment of an English coastal walking route and of rights of access to land near the English coast; to enable the making of Assembly Measures in relation to Welsh coastal routes for recreational journeys and rights of access to land near the Welsh coast; to make further provision in relation to Natural England and the Countryside Council for Wales; to make provision in relation to works which are detrimental to navigation; to amend the Harbours Act 1964; and for connected purposes.|
|Citation||2009 c 23|
|Royal assent||12 November 2009|
|History of passage through Parliament|
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
|Revised text of statute as amended|
Sections 1 to 3 - The Marine Management Organisation
Section 1(1) creates the Marine Management Organisation.
Sections 1 to 3 and Schedules 1 and 2 came into force on 12 January 2010.
Section 14 gave the powers to establish an Exclusive economic zone (EEZ), with the zone defined by The Exclusive Economic Zone Order 2013 which came into force on 31 March 2014. The UK was later than most states in establishing an EEZ, previously relying on overlapping maritime zones for fisheries; pollution control; and energy matters.
- The citation of this Act by this short title is authorised by section 325 of this Act.
- Explanatory notes, paragraph 3
- The Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009 (Commencement No.1 and Transitional Provisions) Order 2009 (S.I. 2009/3345 (C. 153)), article 2 and paragraph 1 of the Schedule
- Gibson, J. (January 2009). "The United Kingdom's elusive exclusive economic zone". Journal of Water Law. 20 (4). Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- "The Exclusive Economic Zone Order 2013". legislation.gov.uk. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- The Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, as amended from the National Archives.
- The Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, as originally enacted from the National Archives.
- Explanatory notes to the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, prepared by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
|This legislation in the United Kingdom, or its constituent jurisdictions article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|