Marina Ruy Barbosa
Barbosa in 2016
Marina Souza Ruy Barbosa
30 June 1995
Alexandre Sarnes Negrão (m. 2017)
Marina Souza Ruy Barbosa Negrão (born June 30, 1995) is a Brazilian actress. She started off her career as a child actress; her first major role was in the telenovela Começar de Novo. In 2006, she portrayed a prominent character in Silvio de Abreu's Belíssima. She later appeared in Sete Pecados (2007), Escrito nas Estrelas (2010), Morde & Assopra (2011), and Amor à Vida, interpreting Nicole, a young orphan and millionaire who gets cancer, Hodgkin's lymphoma type 4.
In her adult career, she gained great prominence in the telenovela Império, playing the nymphet Maria Isis, thus winning the Contigo Television Awards for Best Supporting Actress. In 2015, she starred in Totalmente Demais — a show that earned an International Emmy for best telenovela.
She is in big demand to make advertising campaigns, especially in the fashion and beauty segments. She was the celebrity with the second most appearances in commercials aired on broadcast television in Brazil between May and July 2015, and was named one of the Top 25 Celebrities of Brazil in 2015, according to Forbes magazine, the Brazilian edition. In 2015 she was the ninth Brazilian celebrity to appear the most in television ads, according to the ranking of the Competition Control, which monitors the advertising market.
She is currently married to Alexandre Sarnes Negrão since 7 October 2017.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Philanthropy
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Theater
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Barbosa was born in Gávea, a southern zone neighborhood in the Rio de Janeiro on 30 June 1995. An only child, she is a great-great-great-granddaughter of writer, jurist and politician Ruy Barbosa from Bahía. Despite the similarity of their names, she is not related to the screenwriter Benedito Ruy Barbosa.
Barbosa made her first significant work in the film Xuxa e o Tesouro da Cidade Perdida, where she played the character Mylla, a young princess from a tribe of Vikings, who lived in a lost city inside a forest. Before shooting the movie, she took several Swedish language classes, since all her lines in the film were in that language.
Later, Barbosa auditioned for Começar de Novo, where she played the character Ana, the guardian angel of Miguel (Marcos Paulo). This mysterious character hid important plot secrets, and had unknown origin. She had paranormal powers, with a strong spirituality, and received messages from heaven that guided on her mission on Earth. As the character did not speak, Barbosa had the added challenge of having to communicate mainly through her eyes and facial expressions. It was her first telenovela with screenwriter Elizabeth Jhin.
On 5 March 2005, Barbosa debuted in children's theater as the protagonist of the play Chapeuzinho Vermelho - O Musical in the Teatro dos Grandes Atores, in Barra da Tijuca, and in Teatro do Leblon in Leblon.
Barbosa's work in Começar de Novo earned her an invitation to attend the tests for the character "Sabina" in Belíssima. After going through crowded auditions, she was chosen by the screenwriter Silvio de Abreu and the director Denise Saraceni to play the role. Sabina was an important character in the telenovela plot, the daughter of "Vitória" (Claudia Abreu) and "Pedro" (Henri Castelli), and granddaughter of the villain "Bia Falcão" (Fernanda Montenegro), niece of "Júlia" (Gloria Pires), and goddaughter of "Nikos" (Tony Ramos). Sabina had a great influence on the grandmother, the villain Bia Falcao, who kidnapped her in the story. The character lived in Greece with her parents. To fully play the role, Barbosa took lessons on dance, Greek language and culture, as well as spending a month in Greece, filming the soap opera on the paradise island of Santorini. Barbosa's success in the role made her known in Brazil, and led her to being interviewed on Domingão do Faustão. She was later hired as an exclusive artist by Rede Globo.
The interpretation of Barbosa in Belíssima caught the attention of screenwriter Walcyr Carrasco, who invited her to portray the character "Isabel" in Sete Pecados, the daughter of "Dante" (Reynaldo Gianecchini) and "Clarisse" (Giovanna Antonelli).
2008 — 2010: Theater and teenage roles
In 2008, Barbosa debuted in adult drama; she was cast by the duo Charles Möeller and Cláudio Botelho to play Clara girl in 7 - O Musical. Acting in the musical was quite a big challenge for her, as she had to represent and also had to sing and dance. Her portrayal of Clara was close to what Möeller imagined. The director Botelho said: "Marina is a demon. She has so much inner life at such a young age and, even with little experience, she shines on the scene as a veteran! That's the kind of 'child actress' we only see in the United States, those who steal movies and plays...Marina makes the difference".
7 - O Musical was the last work of Ida Gomes, Marina's grandmother in the musical, as she died soon after the musical.
In 2009, Barbosa co-hosted a TV Globinho program. She was later invited by director Denise Saraceni to join the show Tudo Novo de Novo, interpreting teenage Bia. She also participated in the sketch "Super Chefinho" shown by the morning show Mais Você.
In March 2010, Barbosa was interviewed by presenter Angelica for the Estrelas show. She made a cultural visit to the Museu Casa Ruy Barbosa, in Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, the home where her great-great-grandfather Ruy Barbosa lived. In addition to describing the location, Barbosa took the opportunity to show some of her musical skill, playing Beethoven on the piano of her great-grandmother Maria Augusta.
She was invited by author Elizabeth Jhin, who had already made the telenovela Começar de Novo, to play the rebellious teenager "Vanessa" in Escrito nas Estrelas. Vanessa wore dreadlocks in her hair, and was a student of ballet. Barbosa, who had never done ballet, took private lessons to get ready for the role. She played all her ballet scenes without needing a stunt double. She performed her first kissing scene with actor Bruno Pereira, with whom she had worked on Começar de Novo. Barbosa had the idea of creating the zipper earrings used by the character, an accessory that would eventually become a fad among teenagers throughout Brazil. Her Escrito nas Estrelas colleague Nica Bonfim turned the character "Vanessa" into a doll. Barbosa's performance on the telenovela was praised by critics.
In October 2010, Quem magazine prepared a special edition to celebrate its tenth anniversary. Ten young actresses were invited for the cover, produced and shot by Fernando Torquatto, using the self-explanatory title: "As Estrelas da Próxima Década". Barbosa, only 15 years old at the time, was the youngest actress of the ten.
2011 — 2013: Career growth
Barbosa was invited by the author Walcyr Carrasco in 2011 to join the cast of the Morde & Assopra as "Alice," a young villain and one of the protagonists of the plot. Alice is a rich 18-year-old girl, vain and prejudiced, wearing only expensive clothes, the daughter of mayor Isaiah (Ary Fontoura) and Minerva (Elizabeth Savalla), who falls for the crook Guilherme (Klebber Toledo). Alice launched the slogans "you are a mongrel" and "I have pedigree" that fell in public taste. Barbosa's performance in Morde & Assopra was highlighted by critics, receiving critical praise from Rio newspaper Extra's journalist Carla Bittencourt, UOL portal's television columnist Flávio Ricco, Terra portal's journalist Mariana Trigo, and Epoca magazine's journalist Bruno Segadilha, among others.
Barbosa is also known for her style of dress, always wearing updated productions following the trends, she is considered an it girl, and has posed for numerous advertising campaigns and editorial fashion.
At only 16, Barbosa was the youngest actress to appear on the cover of NOVA, in the April 2012 edition. In June 2013, at age 17, she would again appear on its cover . In September 2012, Barbosa was elected by ISTOÉ Gente one of the 25 sexiest women of Brazil.
In 2013 she joined the cast of Amor à Vida by Walcyr Carrasco, playing Nicole, a young orphan and millionaire who suffers from a degenerative disease. Barbosa came to prominence in the telenovela, and Nicole became a character loved by the public. Due to requests from viewers and collaborators of the telenovela, the author gave up shaving the head of the actress. The issue became a national discussion and divided the opinions of critics, although the public had been in favor of the actress. With the change in the script, the author's solution was Nicole's death on her wedding day and, after death, Thales (Ricardo Tozzi) start seeing visions of the spirit of Nicole. The episode that showed the marriage the death of Nicole had the telenovela's highest TV ratings. After her death, Nicole remained as a spirit until the end of the telenovela.
She was on the cover of Quem magazine on December 18, 2013, chosen as one of "the best-dressed women in Brazil" of 2013.
2014 — present: Amorteamo and Totalmente Demais
On August 11, 2014, the end of her three-year relationship with Klebber Toledo was announced.
"Maria Isis" was a watershed in her career, due to her success in the top rated Brazilian television program. Everything she wore entered the list of most wanted items on TV and her red hair became a hit in the hairdressing salons. She competed for several awards, and at 19 she was the youngest actress to win the Contigo Award! TV for best supporting actress. Success in Império raised her career profile to the protagonist level. She was elected by Vogue as one of the five best dressed Brazilian celebrities of 2014, and named by the Época and Forbes Brazil as one of the most influential Brazilians of 2014.
In April 2015, Barbosa played the protagonist "Malvina" on Amorteamo mini-series, a character inspired by Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. She began recording the series during the last shootings of Império, accumulating both works at the same time. It was a big challenge for the actress, who had to play a different role from those she had done before. During Amorteamo shooting, Barbosa had to undergo an emergency appendicitis surgery, but recovered quickly and returned to the shootings. Her acting was praised and the mini-series was successful, a second season, which was to be shot in 2016.
Also in 2015, she played Eliza de Assis Monteiro, the protagonist of the new telenovela Totalmente Demais. In the plot, the character becomes homeless after being the target of an attempted abuse by her stepfather, and will end up turning into a model.
Barbosa usually does a job as a protector of animals, especially stray cats. She hosts kittens at home while looking for people who want to adopt them. In December 2013, she participated in the animal adoption campaign "Adotei" ("I have adopted").
She also participates in philanthropic campaigns such as the Brazilian Institute for Cancer Control (IBCC), Friends of Children with Cancer (AMICCA) and the Brazilian Association of Lymphoma and Leukemia (ABRALE).
In November 2013, Barbosa was the star of a campaign by the National Day Against Cancer Children and Youth, "Golden November", promoted by the Institute Ronald McDonald. She turned into a warrior, inspired by great heroines of comics and games.
During her preparation for the character Maria Isis in Império, Barbosa cut 30 cm of her hair, which was donated to the NGO Cabelegria, which makes wigs for cancer patients who have lost their hair.
|2002||Sabor da Paixão||Marie|
|2004||Começar de Novo||Aninha|
|2005||Belíssima||Sabina Rocha Assumpção|
|2007||Sete Pecados||Isabel Florentino|
|2009||Tudo Novo de Novo||Bia|
|2010||Escrito nas Estrelas||Vanessa|
|2011||Morde & Assopra||Alice Alves Junqueira de Lima|
|2012||Amor Eterno Amor||Juliana Petrini|
|2013||Amor à Vida||Nicole Veiga de Assis Brito|
|2014||Império||Maria Ísis Ferreira da Costa|
|2015||Amorteamo||Malvina Benazo Camargo|
|2015||Totalmente Demais||Eliza de Assis Monteiro|
|2016||Justiça||Isabela de Almeida|
|2018||Pega Pega||Amália Giordano|
|2018||Deus Salve o Rei||Amália Giordano|
|2018||O Sétimo Guardião||Luz da Lua Vidal|
|2004||Xuxa e o Tesouro da Cidade Perdida||Mylla|
|2017||Amorteamo - O Filme||Malvina Benazo|
|Todas as Canções de Amor||Ana|
|2005||Chapeuzinho Vermelho - O Musical||Little Red Riding Hood|
|2008||7 - O Musical||Clara|
Awards and nominations
|2016||Troféu Internet||Best Actress||"Eliza" in Totalmente Demais||Winner|
|2015||Prêmio Jovem Brasileiro||Best Actress||"Malvina" in Amorteamo||Winner|
|Prêmio AIB (Association of Barra da Tijuca Press)||Best Supporting Actress||"Maria Isis" in Império||Winner|
|17th Contigo Award||Best Supporting Actress||Winner|
|Troféu Internet||Best Actress||Winner|
|Troféu Imprensa||Best Actress||Winner|
|Melty Future Awards||Cool is Everywhere - Brazil||Winner|
|2014||Melhores do Ano - Domingão do Faustão||Best Supporting Actress||Winner|
|Prêmio Jovem Brasileiro||Best Actress||Winner|
|Prêmio Extra||Best Supporting Actress||Winner|
|Prêmio F5||Hot Of The Year||Herself||Winner|
|Capricho Awards||Best National Actress||"Maria Isis" in Império||Winner|
|Meus Prêmios Nick||Favorite Actress||"Nicole" in Amor à Vida||Nominated|
|Hot Of The Year||Hersel
|2013||Capricho Awards||Best National Actress||"Nicole" in Amor à Vida||Winner|
|Meus Prêmios Nick||Hot Of The Year||Herself||Winner|
|11th Prêmio Jovem Brasileiro||Actress||"Nicole" in Amor à Vida||Nominated|
|2012||14th Prêmio Contigo||Best Supporting Actress||"Alice" in Morde & Assopra||Nominated|
|Meus Prêmios Nick||Hot Of The Year||Herself||Nominated|
|2011||Prêmio Quem||Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Video Show Retrô||Most Annoying Valley Girl||Winner|
|Best Wedding Scene||Winner|
|Capricho Awards||Best National Actress||Winner|
|Most Stylish National or International Celebrity||Herself||Winner|
|Best Real Couple||Herself (with Klebber Toledo)||Nominated|
|10th Prêmio Jovem Brasileiro||Best Newcomer||Winner|
|Meus Prêmios Nick||Favorite Actress||Nominated|
|2010||Prêmio Arte Qualidade Brasil||Best Child/Young Actress in a Telenovela||"Vanessa" in Escrito Nas Estrelas||Nominated|
|2008||10th Prêmio Contigo||Best Child Actress in Television||Nominated|
|Prêmio Extra de Televisão||Best Child Actor or Actress||Nominated|
|2007||Melhores do Ano — Domingão do Faustão||Best Child Actor or Actress||Nominated|
|Prêmio Extra de Televisão||Best Child Actor or Actress||"Sabina" in Belíssima||Nominated|
|2006||8º Prêmio Contigo||Best Child Actress in Television||Nominated|
|2005||7th Prêmio Contigo||"Aninha" in Começar de Novo||Nominated|
- In 2010, during the telenovela Escrito nas Estrelas, she was honored by costar and artist Nica Bonfim, who made a doll of the character Vanessa.
- In 2013, artist Marcus Baby honored Barbosa by making a doll dressed as a bride, inspired by Nicole character of the telenovela Amor à Vida.
- In 2015, Marcus Baby was inspired by Barbosa character Malvina on the series Amorteamo to create a featured doll corpse bride.
- Elected "Muse of the summer 2016, by the magazine Vogue Brazil
- Elected "The Best-Dressed Celebrity of the Year" in 2015 by R7 portal
- Named one of "The Top 25 Celebrities in Brazil in 2015", voted by Brazilian Forbes magazine
- Crowned Queen of the Copacabana Palace Carnival Ball, at age 19, the youngest queen in the history of the event
- Featured on the list of the "30 most influential young people in Brazil in 2015" by the Brazilian version of Forbes
- Elected one of "The 100 most influential people of Brazil in 2014", by Época magazine.
- Elected one of "The five Brazilian celebrities best dressed of 2014", by Vogue magazine
- Elected one of "The sexiest Brazilian women of 2014", by men's site El Hombre in December 2014
- Elected by the Brazilian Glamour magazine as "the 4th best-dressed celebrity in the world of 2013", in December 2013
- Elected by VIP magazine as the 7th "Sexiest Woman in the World" in 2013, 15th in 2014 and 5th in 2015
- Elected by the Brazilian version of Glamour as "Brazil's best-dressed celebrity of 2012", and ninth in the world in December 2012
- Chosen by ISTOÉ as the 6th sexiest woman in 2012 in Brazil
- Luiza Camargo. "Com 16 anos, Marina Ruy Barbosa vira o destaque da TV". R7 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Ela Só Tem 16 Anos". Revistaepoca (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Esclarecimento - Personagem com Linfoma de Hodgkin tipo 4 na novela Amor à Vida". Abrale (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa é eleita a Melhor Atriz Coadjuvante de Novela". Contigo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa, a ruiva da vez, fala de seus cuidados de beleza: "Gosto de ser diferente"". Marie Claire Brasil (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Looks incríveis: O estilo de Marina Ruy Barbosa". Revistaquem (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Estilo dos Famosos: R7 mostra o visual de Marina Ruy Barbosa". Entretenimento (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa, a ruiva da vez, fala de seus cuidados de beleza: "Gosto de ser diferente"". Revista Marie Claire (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Maurício Kubrusly vai em busca da tribo dos ruivos". Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Hair stylist das estrelas lista os cinco cabelos mais pedidos". IG (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "As maiores celebridades do Brasil em 2015". Estadao (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Gisele Bündchen lidera ranking de famosos em comerciais de TV". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Atriz Marina Ruy Barbosa também arrasa nas redes sociais". Famous to Follow. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa curte ter um irmãozinho na ficção" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa ainda é confundida como sendo filha de autor". O Fuxico (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Personalidade:Marina Ruy Barbosa". Interfilmes (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "3x4 : Marina Ruy Barbosa". Contigo! (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on 31 December 2012. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Sabina é muito deleixada", diz Marina Ruy Barbosa". Noticias Terra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Começar de Novo - O anjo de Miguel Arcanjo" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Começar de Novo - Aninha ajuda Miguel e Letícia se reconciliarem" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa estreia musical infantil no Rio". Babado (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Nota 10". Photos (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "A invasão grega". Photos (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "A Pequena Notáve" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "'Dança das Crianças' elimina Marina Ruy Barbosa". Terra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa: A menina com cabelo de fogo que é a alma de "7"". Moeller Botelho (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa foco no futuro". Caras (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "7 – O MUSICAL". Moeller Botelho (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Quem é Quem: Bia". Tudo Novo de Novo. (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "Estreia dos Super Chefinhos". Mais Você (in Portuguese).
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa no programa Estrelas - Parte 1/2". Cast TV (in Portuguese).
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa fotos programas estrelas". Caras (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Elizabeth Jhin e Marina Ruy Barbosa". Globo TV (in Portuguese).
- "Controle Remoto". Patrícia Kogut (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "As estrelas da próxima década". Quem (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Quem 10 anos: Assista ao making of com Marina Ruy Barbosa para o aniversário da revista". Quem (in Portuguese). Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Crítica de 'Morde & assopra': Marina Ruy Barbosa é uma das melhores atrizes de sua geração". Extra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa posa para grife de moda teen". EGO (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Confira a lista das 25 mulheres mais sexy do Brasil". F5 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Tragédia! Nicole morre em pleno altar ao ver foto de Thales beijando Leila". Gshow (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Bruna Marquezine aparece pela primeira vez entre as mais sexy do ano, atrás de Anitta e Paolla Oliveira". Extra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "As mais bem vestidas de 2013". Quem (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "'Não precisa de pernão, coxão, é uma sensualidade natural', diz Marina Ruy Barbosa sobre sua ninfeta de 'Império'". Extra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa conquista o topo do ranking de novembro de celebridades mais comentadas pela Mídia, segundo a PR Newswire". PR Newswire (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa será rainha do Baile do Copa no carnaval do Rio". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa volta ao trabalho após operar apendicite". EGO (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Série "Amorteamo", com Marina Ruy Barbosa, vai ganhar 2ª temporada na Globo em 2016!". Purebreak (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa aparecerá loura e bronzeada em novela". O Globo. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Luisa Mell lança projeto para conscientização de adoção de animais em SP". Quem (in Portuguese). Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa leva ânimo e alegria a crianças com câncer". IG (in Portuguese). Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa personifica heroína em campanha contra câncer". EGO (in Portuguese). Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa doa 30 cm dos cabelos cortados para ONG: 'É uma benfeitoria'". Pure People (in Portuguese). Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa é a nova apresentadora da TV Globinho". Atrevidinha (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Já sei como é ser enterrada", brinca Marina Ruy Barbosa sobre nova série". UOL (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa posta foto macabra nas redes sociais e assusta seguidores". O Dia (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "oiva cadáver em 'Amorteamo', Marina Ruy Barbosa espera melhor sorte na hora de se casar na vida real". Extra Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Conheça a história da nova novela das 7, 'Totalmente Demais". GShow Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Globo quer Marina Ruy Barbosa como protagonista de 'Deus salve o rei' no lugar de Agatha Moreira". Extra. 22 July 2017. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Nasce uma estrela". Atrevidinha (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa estréia musical infantil no Rio". iG (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Clássicos Recontados" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Marina Ruy Barbosa: A menina com cabelo de fogo que é a alma de "7""". Moellerbotelho (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 April 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marina Ruy Barbosa.|